Thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sce

Proud Parent
Okay, so aside from leos and wolf turns, any thoughts or impressions from watching?

A few from me: First, Simone is amazing. It was really great to see her make mistakes but not lose composure. A true test of an athlete.

Aly gets better every day. Her floor is so fun to watch. I love that her and Gabby really are in competition shape.

I'm not sure Kyla can remain competitive.

It will be really interesting to have Laurie, Jazmyn and Ragan in the mix with these seniors.

I agree with the above,, but it did seem, to me, that gabby was lacking a bit of the usual spark or fire that she has. I hope that comes back as she continues this road. I am sure it was because it was her first major meet..

First, second and third. Simone, Simone, Simone. What an honor to just be around to see that girl compete. Clearly the best gymnast currently, of her time and possibly historically. And how delightful that her talent and hard work are coupled with that delightful modesty.

Aly, very happy to see her doing well. Her tumbling is terrific. She needs to work on her form. But she will be a huge asset to USA at worlds this year and I am hoping she makes Rio. If she wants a shot at an AA medal she needs to work on UB. Love her generosity and modesty -- she knows that Simone is on a different level from everyone else and she has no problem openly acknowledging it. I was happy to see her on the podium.

Gabby --I wish she would cultivate some of that modesty that Simone and Aly have. I also wonder if she came back for the right reasons. Not impressed.

Kyla -- heart broken for her. I was relieved to see that Marta put her on the national team, but she will not be at worlds and frankly, I think this is the end of her elite career. I think its mental -- not physical. Kyla just seems burnt out. Time to focus on having a great NCAA career and moving on with life. She is a beautiful gymnast and a lovely young woman.

Maggie -- very impressed.

Simone really is in a league of her own but it is exciting to see the depth of both the junior and senior teams.

There are some juniors who are pretty amazing to watch and who could be just the right ones to add to the Olympic team come 2016.

I was sad to see Kyla didn't do as well but I think that a lot of us expected that because of her skill set and the incredible competition.

She has been one of my favorites since she came onto the scene and while it would be great to see her up in the ranks again she has had a great run and she has done it gracefully. I think a lot of us could learn from her. She will do great in college gymnastics and it will be fun to watch her there as well.

My daughters nailed down my thoughts on Gabby when they said, "She should have stayed with Chow. She doesn't smile anymore and doesn't look like she's having fun". Love Simone! She has a wonderful personality and when she cheers for the others you can tell she really means it - just love it! Aly did great and I am glad to see her back. So happy for Maggie! Next year should be very exciting as Ragan, Jazzy and Laurie move up.

I agree with everything above. The depth within not only the seniors but the up and coming juniors as well is phenomenal. I am soooo stoked to see the trials in person next summer. What a meet that's going to be!!

Agree with all the discussion above.

It's no secret I am a Norah fan, and can't wait to see what she adds to the mix when she is 100% healthy again and rises to the seniors next year along with these other incredibly talented juniors mentioned above. 2016 is going to be an exciting year (OK, that is an understatement I realize).

I would have loved to see how NF did at these championships.....but it was not to be this time around.

MAGGIE NICHOLS. She literally blew me away. She was leading the competition on day 1 until Simone did her vault. I was secretly rooting for Maggie to win. I love Simone, but to see someone come out on top above her would have been insanely awesome if you really think about it. Maggie has truly come a loooong way from last year. Very impressed.

Also, seeing Simone fall on her last pass on floor, was literally the first time I've seen her fall ever. I'm sure she's fallen in the past, but I've only ever witnessed her hitting every routine. It made me realize that she actually is a human being, believe it or not.

Being there in person this year was truly an experience. Seeing these incredible athletes do there thing, it just makes me love the sport even more. Also, by going to congress every day I made some great connections, sat in on some incredible lectures by the likes of Valeri Liukin and Mihai Brestyan (who literally changed my entire view on coaching, and getting girls to the elite level) among others, and I even met Francis Allen, a very decorated men's Olympic and college coach (Nebraska University) at a sushi bar. I talked with him for a half hour about elite coaching, and then we walked together to the Banker's Life Fieldhouse to watch the Junior men compete. I literally hung out with the guy and watched the competition, and he had many cool stories to share.

Needles to say, my experience with the P&G Championships has been an incredible one. As I type this, I am at a Steak 'n Shake using there wi-fi, and sitting at a table next to me are members of the men's junior team. I can't wait to get back and coach my girls tomorrow!!! :D

I like Norah too, it wold have been exciting to see her in the mix. I'm also a big fan of Chow's in general. Next year is going to be brutal for the elites. There is so much depth the pressure is going to be crazy for all of those hoping to male the O team.

Aero, I'm curious what you now think of coaching girls to elite. It seems like such a huge risk.

I like Norah too, it wold have been exciting to see her in the mix. I'm also a big fan of Chow's in general. Next year is going to be brutal for the elites. There is so much depth the pressure is going to be crazy for all of those hoping to male the O team.

Aero, I'm curious what you now think of coaching girls to elite. It seems like such a huge risk.
One more plug for Norah and then I'll pipe down - and another reason it is a shame she couldn't compete this weekend - neither her floor nor beam routine this season contains a wolf turn..... :)

I loved watching all the girls on Sat night and was so happy that NBC carried it! I was shocked to see that Nia had left Buckeye. I had not heard that and I'm in Ohio.

We had a really great time and thought Indianapolis did an amazing job! The events out on the street were really cool. We are starting to make plans for St. Louis next year!

As far as gymnasts, Simone is obviously in a league of her own. I thought Aly looked pretty good, Maggie was much improved, and Bailie did a very nice job in finals. I'm not sure about Gabby right now....next year will be really interesting!!

I'd love to hear more about that.

I would also love to hear about this!
Oh man, I don't even know where to begin!

The lecture was titled, "The Process on How to Select the Future Elite Gymnast," and it covered:
  • How to structure your program in a way that will bring potential elite athletes to the surface and make them easier to spot, while still effectively catering to the other gymnasts, too.
  • What traits to look for physically and emotionally
  • When you have an elite, what the process is to bring the most out of them.
  • What skills to teach and look for mastery in.
  • What ideas, concepts, and methods to adopt as a coach in order to coach at this level effectively.

I got there early, but the lecture room really wasn't all that packed. Eventually, Mihai Brestyan walked in. I was a little bit starstruck, and excited for the lecture; this is an Olympic coach after all, not to mention the coach of the London 2012 floor exercise champion! He sat down behind the table at the front of the room, and he didn't have a PowerPoint presentation (which all the other presenters did). He didn't even have a microphone at first, but then an official came in to give him one. He was very authoritative when he spoke, and everything he said was matter-of-fact. You could tell he was speaking through years and years of experience. Despite his Romanian accent, he spoke clearly and his English was easy to understand.
One of the very interesting things he mentioned was the traits he's noticed in his elites. He said the ones that have gone all the way were the ones who were first to practice and last to leave, who left sweating after every practice, who came in the next day sore but ready and excited to work. The ones who were always asking him to watch them, who always went the extra mile, who put their 100% effort into every try. The ones who were focused and determined, who took corrections, who were physically strong and flexible. He said when you have a potential elite athlete, you can see the desire and passion in their eyes every day.
He explained that as a coach, you must remain on your path and be consistent and persistent in your goals every day, no matter what anyone else says. The only time you change your methods are when, deep down, you know you are incorrect or could be doing things better. You must be honest with yourself and swallow your ego. Also, don't treat the kids like they are a star. They train with everyone else at the normal hours with no special treatment. If they really are elite material, they will show you they want more and are ready, and they will outwork everyone else. When you are 150% sure you have an elite, that is when you ask them to come an extra five hours in the morning. He also said that when kids and parents get off the path that you have set, you must immediately reign them back in and explain in no uncertain terms what your conditions are, and if they do so again, then they can find a new gym. He actually had a lot to say about how parents are a large reason why many potential elite kids are left by the wayside. He made a large point to be firm with parents, and that really stuck with me.

I was completely floored by his mannerisms and I instantly respected him. He wasn't even a really formal speaker, he just had an aura about him that said, "I'm a boss." Hahaha, that's seriously the best way I can explain it. I learned so much and it really changed my views on things.

@txgymfan | Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say it seems like a huge risk?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back