Three - In - One

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Supergirl91

:(
Okay I have three questions and for all I need tips and advice please!!!

Okay,
If you've read my posts before you know that I am an EXTREME beginner... well... I am extremely frustrated :mad: with myself for not being able to do these certain skills so I have questions on how to do them.

1. I keep getting stuck in my backwards roll. How do I fix that??? :confused:

2. Kick-overs... tips? (I can get into a bridge from the floor and do backbends like they're nothing so that's not an issue). :p

3. And last but not least, my enemies... cartwheels and handstands. :eek: (especially on beam). How would I perfect these?

- Thank you in advance for anyone with tips and advice!
:D

Okay,
If you've read my posts before you know that I am an EXTREME beginner... well... I am extremely frustrated :mad: with myself for not being able to do these certain skills so I have questions on how to do them.

2. Kick-overs... tips? (I can get into a bridge from the floor and do backbends like they're nothing so that's not an issue). :p

3. And last but not least, my enemies... cartwheels and handstands. :eek: (especially on beam). How would I perfect these?

- Thank you in advance for anyone with tips and advice!
:D

I am a beginner too, and have trouble with these as well :)

1. I found out that when rolling backwards, pointing my toes behind me, rather than upwards, helps a little.

2. Sorry,
I'm no help there.

3. Cartwheels and Handstands- Practice Practice Practice. I have a line of pink Duck Tape down on my floor for that purpose. Repetition helps the most I think.

Good luck!

Sarah

Backwards rolls...don't be hesitant. Go faster. Push off with your feet when you start the roll, and when you stand up, your hands. If you go faster, you will have more power and a lesser chance of getting stuck. If you need to, you can do these on a mat so you get the motion down with a little more cushioning.

Kickovers...your shoulders should be pushing in the direction you are kicking over. Like, they should be pushing towards where your feet will land when you're done with the kickover. Push hard with your legs, too. You can do it with your feet on top of a mat (in a bridge) to make it easier. Use smaller and smaller mats until you can do it. Stretching your bridge and working on leg strength will help with this one.

Handstands...do conditioning, and practice. It just takes a lot of repetition to be able to learn how to keep your balance. If your problem is kicking up high enough, make sure that you practice turning, rolling, and bridging out of the handstand, so that you can safely "bail" if you go over too far. This will eliminate or decrease your fear of going too far over, so you can kick up without worrying. On beam, know how to turn into a side handstand to bail.

Cartwheels...practice doing them on a straight line. Squeeze your butt and stomach so that you kick over the top. Kick fast so that you can kick straight over and land on the line. Do bad leg cartwheels on floor, too - just do them until it is comfortable. On beam, stay tight, do not arch, and go somewhat quickly so that you can land on the beam.

Okay,

This could be a number of problems, most of which are very hard to explain and correct over the internet.

I can almost guarantee the problem is shoulders. When doing a back limber or bridge kickover (at least when doing it correctly), your shoulders are what's stretching and straining, not your back. The key is to open your shoulders and get them out past your hands.

Um.... this is sort of like asking "how do I write a good novel?" There is no simple all-encompasing answer. If you can describe the troubles you're having and/or post a video, we may be able to help you a bit more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back