Tiger Paws aren't working

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

ilovelola

Hi everyone!! Okay, so I just got some new tiger paws as well as protec grips in the mail (for all of you random people, tiger paws are kind of like wrist supports) And I was using the tiger paws on my beam, and for some reason they don't seem to be working... especially for walkovers, it seems like my wrists are in even more pain. I know they aren't miracle workers, but is it all in my head? Maybe the pain is in the back of my wrist, maybe sizing was off, but I really need some help. Thanks! -ilovelola

They aren't mirical paws. They just give the wrists extra support. If your wrists are stil hurting then its time to see a Dr. Tell your parents of your pain so you can get the medical care you need. Im sure they will have you take some type of Motrin or Tylenol to help with pain control.

I really don't know anyone that uses tiger paws for beam. Most that I've seen use them for floor and vault.

Besides the fact that they are new and maybe just need to be broken in, maybe you are putting them on wrong or too tight. My tiger paws fit perfectly now but when they're new I know it makes a difference if they're a hair too high or low on the thumb/wrist, and they are so stiff that it puts pressure on the wrists and would always hurt mine. Also if your strapping them on too tight it will cause your wrists to hurt. But after a week or so they still hurt badly, then go to a doctor and get it checked out.

My dd had a tough time wearing the tiger paws for beam. too bulky and didn't support properly for her back hand springs. We went through a few different braces before we found this one, that has worked really well.

Mueller Sports Medicine - Hg80 Wrist Brace

She says they are much more flexible and not as much material as the tiger paw but gives just the right support. She's 10 and these are adult braces so they are a little big but she says they work fine. The way the velcro strap is designed, there is a wide range of closure.

BTW we had her wrists looked at and basically she just has a weak wrist from a break a couple years ago. It likely is not going to get any better so the drs want her wrists supported as much as possible.

Not sure about Tiget Paws but Golden Hands have removeable shims in the wrist pocket so you can adjust the support/flexibility level in them. That might make them more comfortable. Personally, I'd have a doctor look at my wrists if I were in your situation.

Tiger Paws and all the other wrist supports are really more preventitive in nature. The idea is to start to use them so you won't get chronic wrist pain. They are not designed to cure wrist problems although you may notice some decrease in wrist pain. Check with your coach to make sure they're fitting correctly and if they are, then you need to see a doctor to get the wrists looked at.

I have the same problem and have to visit my doctor because it hurts whenever I put weight on either wrist. You should probably do the same.

My daughter wears them on everything except bars (of coarse). She does have wrist problems, but they do help. But, she did complain about the top of her hands hurting for quite sometime because of them hitting there. For her, she doesn't have a choice to wear them or not. She can't tumble or do much without them. She also sees the chiropractor which helps some. She has acute tendinitus in both wrists. However, both the doctor and chiropractor have said as long as she keeps the flexibility in her wrists she can continue with her gymnastics. They also gave her stretches to do and is suppose to ice after every practice. I hope that you can find some relief with them. Try adjusting the amount of plastic inserts in them.

My dd had a tough time wearing the tiger paws for beam. too bulky and didn't support properly for her back hand springs. We went through a few different braces before we found this one, that has worked really well.

Mueller Sports Medicine - Hg80 Wrist Brace

She says they are much more flexible and not as much material as the tiger paw but gives just the right support. She's 10 and these are adult braces so they are a little big but she says they work fine. The way the velcro strap is designed, there is a wide range of closure.

BTW we had her wrists looked at and basically she just has a weak wrist from a break a couple years ago. It likely is not going to get any better so the drs want her wrists supported as much as possible.

Hello. I know this is an old post but I wanted to ask you a couple of question. I have to buy my 10 year old daughter wrist supports due to a radial wrist fracture that just healed. Does your daughter wear a brace on one hand only? Does she only need it for beam or does she also wear for tumbling? Thanks!

Hello. I know this is an old post but I wanted to ask you a couple of question. I have to buy my 10 year old daughter wrist supports due to a radial wrist fracture that just healed. Does your daughter wear a brace on one hand only? Does she only need it for beam or does she also wear for tumbling? Thanks!

I know you didn't direct this at me but when my DD's DR wanted her to use tiger paws it was because her wrist are very small for her body. Her Left wrist started to hurt. the Dr for my DD said although she only needed them for the left wrist that he recommends that both have the support to make things feel balanced and equal. This way she wouldn't start to favor the wrist that didn't have a support. talk to your DD's Dr and see what they recommend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back