WAG tiger paws - prevention or treatment?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twistingmia

I did gymnastics 2 times a week. This year I started 4 times a week for 2 hours each. My wrist, especially my left one sometimes hurts a little when I do handstands. I will give it a 2 week break now and do some strengthening everyday. I want to avoid severe wrist pain urgebtly and thought about wearing tiger paws when doing handstands and stalders!

So are they for preventing wrist injuries or for treating them?

how good do they work? is there still stress on the wrist that could harm you?

Prevention. Rest your wrists for a while and then do strengthening exercises. You might also do some wrist stretching because it is not usual to have wrist pain in only a handstand. When you return to gym, wear the tiger paws to prevent reinjury. If you still have problems, you need to get this checked out by a medical professional.

gymnastics is not natural, so tiger paws are great,,,, BUT I don't recommend wearing them on bars!!!

My DD just got some Tiger Paws and she says there is an amazing difference for her! I was so glad that we bought them.

My DD just got some Tiger Paws and she says there is an amazing difference for her! I was so glad that we bought them.

How did you find the sizing? Accurate to the chart? My DD needs some, but I have been hesitant to buy them without being able to try them on. She is 10 and slim.

How did you find the sizing? Accurate to the chart? My DD needs some, but I have been hesitant to buy them without being able to try them on. She is 10 and slim.
dd started with xs at age 9 and still wears that size at age 13. But she only has the foam in them, not the plastic and they stretch quite a bit. She is in the 10-25th-ile for her height/weight for age.

Can I ask a question about Tiger Paws on your thread? It kind of goes along with the subject.....

I remember reading that several coaches suggested going into TPs when a gymnast starts doing yurchenkos. Mine has started doing entries up to the table and landing them with no flipping into the pit. Should she be in TPs during these drills? She hasn't complained of any pain at all but if it is preventative and there timing coincides with yurchenkos, how soon into learning the vault should kids get TPs?

I wear exactly the size the size chart says I should.

I am fully grown (5'/100lbs/5.25" wrist circumference) and I wear a small with the end of the tabs all the way across the velcro, as the tabs are in display pictures. They are pretty adjustable.

When I was having wrist pain, I jumped to using Tiger Paws. I wish I took the time to strengthen my wrists because as you continue to wear them, you are actually weakening your wrists so that you will always rely on the Tiger Paws....Just something to think about

My DD broke her wrist last year when she started working BHS on beam. She started wearing the tiger paws when the fracture healed. She loves them and I think her tumbling and vault have improved with them.
If your wrists are hurting though you should have them looked at by a doctor...tiger paws will not cure an injury. We had no idea my daughter's wrist was broken as there was no swelling, etc.

When I was having wrist pain, I jumped to using Tiger Paws. I wish I took the time to strengthen my wrists because as you continue to wear them, you are actually weakening your wrists so that you will always rely on the Tiger Paws....Just something to think about

This is a common belief but is actually not true. (Somewhere on CB quite a while ago, someone posted a link to some research to show that they do not weaken wrists, although I've never been able to find it again). If you are worried about weak wrists, you can keep wearing your Tiger Paws for training, and do wrist strengthening exercises at home.

We bought her small... she tried on some that a girl in the gym wears (she is 13 and DD is 10, about the same size physically). They fit great !

Ok so tiger paws are great they are for those who have a weak hand on my team everyone has hurt there wrist and now has a weak hand tiger paws will help you with both pain when you are tumbling and also prevent allowing the tumbling to hurt you worse but do not were them constantly especially if you have not had a weak hand for they will delay you when you get into the upper levels

Tori

Look into golden hands as well! They don't seem as bulky as Tiger Paws but my DD likes them better. Plus you can buy the factory 2nd's and get a great discount!

Ok so tiger paws are great they are for those who have a weak hand. On my team everyone has hurt there wrist and now has a weak hand. Tiger paws will help you with both pain when you are tumbling and also prevent allowing the tumbling to hurt you worse. But do not were them constantly. Especially if you have not had a weak hand for they will delay. When you when you get into the upper levels.

Tori
I'm sorry about my grammar issues.

Tori

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back