Parents Tiger Paws Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
My Daughter started using tiger paws at the begining of the summer due to some wrist pain and the skills she is working (timers on vault etc). They seem to be helping with her wrist pain in her actual wrist but she has started to complain of some pain in her mid forearm. It is basically where the end of the brace is. I think the brace is pushing into her skin and having a bruising type effect. There is no visible bruise and that part of her arm doesnt hurt when doing skills or whatnot it just hurts to the touch (hopefully that makes sense)

Has anyone else had this happen with Tiger Paws? Is there anything she can do to help this not to happen? Is there a different brace that may offer the same support but not push on her arm in that way?

Are they to tight, perhaps. My daughter had been wearing them for, vault, floor and beam for nearly 4 years. No arm or wrist pain

My daughter has been using them for almost a year now and hasn't had any issues. She doesn't use the inserts in them though. Are they too small? Another thing to check is if she is wearing them correctly. DD's friend had her's on the wrong wrists for a bit which caused some issues. If its just rubbing wrong, you might have her rub some body glide on it (anti-chafe stick runners use). This will keep it from having friction to irritate the skin.

I don't have any answers but my DD had the same thing happen last fall/winter when she was working vault upgrades a lot and doing so many turns on vault. She said her forearms felt bruised from the top of her tiger paws. Wearing them on floor didn't bother her though, so maybe its the impact/angle from hitting the vault table?

Does she use the inserts for the tiger paws? My daughter does not, the inserts drove into her skin so she doesn't use them.
My daughter has been using them for almost a year now and hasn't had any issues. She doesn't use the inserts in them though.

Wait - when you’re saying your kids don’t use the inserts, do you mean any inserts at all, or the more rigid ?plastic inserts vs. the foam ones?

I thought it was the inserts that provide the wrist support. Do tiger paws without any inserts at all provide wrist support?

Wait - when you’re saying your kids don’t use the inserts, do you mean any inserts at all, or the more rigid ?plastic inserts vs. the foam ones?

I thought it was the inserts that provide the wrist support. Do tiger paws without any inserts at all provide wrist support?
I'm referring to the hard rigid plastic ones

The tiger paws without any inserts do still work in limiting hyperextension. Obviously the inserts restrict it more. My daughter wore them with any inserts for a while in the lower levels (she had broken her wrist and needed it sooner than others). Then she wore 2 foam for a long while. I just asked - she now wears one foam and one plastic in each brace. I am guessing she switched to that sometime around L9/10

The tiger paws themselves provide support. And the inserts provide additional support.

They come with foam pads and plastic inserts. How much of that they use is entirely up to the gymmie. Mine uses just the foam pads.

She doesn't use the plastic inserts.

She think she has a single plastic insert in each but not 100% sure maybe I will have her try wtihout the insert that could help. I think its the vault reps that are bothering her. I can tell when her vaults arent as technically good it bothers her more than when she is having a good vault day. Did it come with foam inserts or is the foam insert just what is sown into the back of the brace? I can also have her coach look at them make sure she is putting them on right and they aren't too tight.

They come with a removable foam insert along with the plastic inserts. I believe you can pair the foam with the plastic for more cushioning. My daughter says the plastic inserts restrict her movement too much, so she only uses the foam (also training vault timers).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back