Tiger Paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippymonkeysmom

Just wondering if anyone uses tiger paws. My dd has been having a lot of pain in one of her wrists. She didn't injure it, it isn't swollen or anything, but hurts a lot when she puts any pressure on it (esp. tumbling). I know this is fairly common for gymnasts - so just wondering what works for others and whether tiger paws help.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of girls use tiger paws to help with the overuse pain. I recommend using them only when required--a lot of girls use them for a fashion statement. I suggest only using one for the wrist that hurts the most and accompanying use of the tiger paw with rehab (physical therapy) exercises to strengthen the wrists. A lot of gymnasts tend to rely on the tiger paws and their wrists become weaker. If she can minimize the usage of them--say perhaps only on floor and vault that would probably be best. Tiger paws really do help a lot, but you just don't want her to rely on them, and that's why I suggested using them only on the one wrist.

Hopefully this will help ya out. Good luck.

Thanks. She only needs it for her left wrist. I ordered a pair online so hopefully it will help. I think it is just an overuse thing - they increased hours for the summer and have been working skills that are definitely tougher on the wrists. She has also been doing conditioning at home (press handstands and handstand pushups) to try and help with her bars. I have her doing some wrist exercises as well to try and strengthen her wrists.

I agree with Hammy completely.

I thought I'd add in that there are these great balls they sell at sporting goods stores designed specifically to help strengthen hand, wrist, and forearms. They come with different levels of difficulty and are only about 7 or 8 dollars I think. Squezeing it while watching tv or even in the car, whenever downtime is for you guys, for about 20min daily helps a lot. I've gone through 4 of these balls, and they are awesome! I haven't had a lot of problems with sore wrists. The reason I started using them was because I was always hyper extending my elbows, and needed to strengthen my forearms, but I kept using them because they were helping my wrists, too!

There was another thread on here about Tiger Paws. You should never use just one. That is why they sell them in pairs. Look up the other thread for an explanation from a sports doctor.

She has also been doing conditioning at home (press handstands and handstand pushups) to try and help with her bars. I have her doing some wrist exercises as well to try and strengthen her wrists.

It's worth getting a pair of press up bars so she can practice these at home without stressing wrists. Basically they're small U shaped bars so you can keep your wrists straight rather than bent back as they would be on floor.

There was another thread on here about Tiger Paws. You should never use just one. That is why they sell them in pairs. Look up the other thread for an explanation from a sports doctor.

:nod: I was always taught that proper supports should be worn on both sides or you end up training unevenly- one side can end up much stronger, or you risk injuring the "good" side as it is unsupported and many people will favour the injured side and put more stress on the uninjured side.

You may want to consider having your daughter see a doctor. Wrist pain for gymnasts is common and very often inflammation of the growth plate in the wrist. Normally taking a break from all of the pressure on the wrist, ice, and ibuprofen will do the trick. If not, can become more serious. Just a thought. Good luck!

Holy moly another thread out of the dungeon. THe OP wrote this in 2008 and her DD has not been in the gym for two years!

Bog how the heck are they finding these old posts. 4 year old posts are crazy to go back to . I'm lucky if I go back 2 weeks LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back