Tiger Paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello :) When i started gymnastics, my wrist always hurt after being on them after a little bit of tumbling ( wouldn't really consider it tumbling, considering it was level three?) Now in level four, i often have to shake my wrist out after doing backhandsprings and such. I just got over a overuse sprain in my wrist ( well, actually. I just came back a few days ago from it.) and it still hurts sometimes... not a lot, but a little. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to invest in wrist supports like tiger paws? Are the comfortable? Do they effect youre tumbling/vaulting in anyway? Is it too early? Sorry for so many questions..my mom said she would buy them for me if i thought i needed them.. I'm not sure, i think they would help but...anyway, thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wear Tiger Paws; though I hear they're really good but expensive. I do wear a pair of the tight, longer wristbands while tumbling though, and that helps me a TON!

My L8 DGD got Tiger Paws (coach recommended them for her) because of the Yurchenko on vault...since she has backed up to the Tsuk now, she no longer has to use her Tiger Paws...I believe that all gymnasts have a certain amount of pain in their wrists that they just deal with. The reason for the Tiger Paws for the vault was because of the way she has to push off (or something) and he felt she could break her wrists without them, but again, she is not using them now...She also shakes her wrists before every tumbling skill. And yes, they were about $45. Can't imagine starting to use them this early...I believe that you may then rely on them too much and the wrists will always stay weak.

The use of wrist supports is a huge debate between coaches. Some think they should be used as a preventive measure and others feel that using them in that manner will make you lose strenght in your wrists.

Personally I don't believe in them unless a doctor suggests them for a specific reason or the coach feels there is a specific reason. Like the above poster said a lot of girls do use them just for vault when they get to yurchenkos. We also have some overweight gymnasts who do use them even for mild tumbling as their bodies cannot support them with the extra weight. But for an otherwise healthy girl your level I wouldn't recomend it just yet, or at least ask your coach what they think is best.

My DD uses them for floor and vault. A few years ago in L6 she had some over use issues in her left wrist as she recovered from that the DR and the Physical therapist both said to use the tiger Paw type support if she is going to continue. Both said they don't know why they aren't required as both said they felt that young growing kids and teens need that extra support for thier growing bones in this type of sport. We purchased them and she has been using them for 2 years now. We haven't had any issues with wrists since. They cost about the same as a set of grips cost around $50, but I think they are well worth the investment. As far as weaker wrists well I don't know about that but since she has been using them she doesn't feel pain and does the "tricks" so much better because she isn't in pain. They do come in lots of colors but a judge that we have come to our gym said go for the "Sand" or flesh tone color as they are less distracting when you compete. I would definitly ask your DOCTOR wht they think is best and go with that opinion. A coaches opinion is useful but they aren't a doctor and really don't know what support may be needed for your child.

I have to disagree with some of the posters about using the tiger paws at lower levels. If you are over 13 and a level 4 you may need them. It has more to do with the age and size of the gymnast than levels. Young teens need extra support while they are growing. My DD has used them from age 9 onward because they really helped her work longer on her tumbling.
You still need to talk to your coaches and get their recommendations about using them. The coaches can also advise you on what exercises to do to increase wrist strength. Also FYI, a judge told me that the wrist supports should be as close to skin tone as possible for competition to make them less obvious. (I have seen some awful colors on some of them.)

I wear Tiger Paws myself and they help a lot. I would start by tapeing your wrists before tumbling and if they begin to hurt worse invest in Tiger Paws. I've have mine since level 6 (I'm a level 8 this season) and I cannot do anything without them because my wrists have gotten so bad (I have tendinitis in my wrists).

I wear tiger paws and I have since I was a level 3 at 11. I constantly had wrist pain and it was becoming unbearable. another girlin my gym had them and i used them to do a backhandspring which I was just learning and it helped a lot. after talking to my coach about we decided that they were a good idea. I have also found out that my friend who is a diver uses the water proof ones. Im now on my third pair and love them, i do rely on them but without them its just to painful. They do come in lots of fun colors and they are generally around $45-50. I would recomend if you do get them to get a pack of replacement pads and plastic inserts. imnot sure how you willbe but I know that I break a plastic insert about every couple of weeks as a level 7. I hope this information helps! and GOOD LUCK!!!!! And about them effecing tumbling it usually takes me a day or two of light to moderate tumbling to break them in and they dont takea long time to get used to. the only problem ive ever had was i get a rip on the side of my hand from it rubbing but that may be from me being out for so long!

My daughter wears them as recommended by her ortho due to having a ganglion cyst on her wrist. It helps. She wears them for floor and vault. Her coach is okay with anyone having them that is having pain.

My DD has had a pair since almost the beginning of her gymnastics career, but she only uses them "as needed." I bought them when she was a level 3 and was complaining about her wrists quite a bit and her coach recommended them. When she outgrew them, I asked the coach if I should buy her another pair, since she was hardly ever wearing them any more. The coach said that she'd rather her have them and rarely need them than need them and not have them. Once in a blue moon, I will come in to the gym and see that she has them on. I'll say, "wrists getting sore today?" and she'll say, "yeah." and that's the last I hear about it. She wears them more often in an acro class that she takes because they tumble on mats only as opposed to the airfloor she tumbles on in the gym.

I wear Tiger Paws myself, but didn't start until Level 8 when the impact on your wrist starts to become very harsh. Currently I coach girls ranging from Level 4-9. The are mostly all over 100lbs (teenagers). I typically do not recommend T.P.'s to smaller gymnast unless they have a serious wrist issue. You are going to have some pain in your wrist. Welcome to gymnastics :) If you are a level four now, hate to say this but its only going to get more achey. I would not recommend getting T.P.s yet. Your wrist need time to build strength. There are muscles in your arms, wrists, and hands that all need to get stronger which will eventually help relieve some one the pain. I'm guessing you have also increased hours since you've moved up or at least increased the time of which you are back tumbling and landing hard on your wrist. Give your wrist time to get stronger. If you start relying on braces now your wrist will never have the chance to build the strength they need to support you when you someday are doing big tumbling and vaults. You never want to go right to a brace. If they pain is severe, you should see a doctor, but explain what you are doing. There are also wrist supports that aren't as strong as T.P.s so they give your wrist room to develop muscles. If you get anything I would recommend this, but mostly just time to get strong. :) Good Luck!

oh and make sure you aren't turning your wrist out funny in your tumbling. Often wrist pain stems from improper hand placement in skills that puts harder pressure on your joints.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back