WAG Tiger paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast243

Gymnast
I'm thinking about getting tiger paws beucause my wrists are always rly sore while I tumble and after. Any thoughts on anyone that has or had them?

What level are, and how old are you? Also, if you do wear tiger paws you need to be conservative too. Ice, and strengthen. Don't rely on tiger paws.... maybe go to a physical therapy session or two to learn some wrist strengthening exercises.

I have golden hands which are a lot like tiger paws I love them! They help a lot with wrist pain. I have none now. One of my teammates has tiger paws and she likes them I have noticed however that her's are super stiff and she has had them for many months. But both help with wrist pain I highly recommend them. How long have you had the pain? If it's only been for a short time then you may just need to rest it and see if it helps the pain before jumping to wrist supports. Just remember if you're on a competitive team you need to get sand colored ones because, with non sand ones you may get points deducted.

My dd wears tiger paws for all tumbling. She used to wear the other brand, but they weren't as stiff and she still had some pain with them. I recommend seeing your doctor for persistent pain- my dd needed physical therapy and a month off tumbling. Also, she had to have a note from her doctor to be allowed to wear tiger paws because her coach doesn't believe in girls using them. Just something to consider before spending a lot of money on them.

Reactions: sce
Kipper's doctor was happy to know she and her team mates use Tiger Paws. He said "wrists were not designed for tumbling. They need a little help".

i tumbled without tiger paws until level 8 but then i started getting wrist pains and i began to use them. They are honestly a blessing and protect my wrists from overuse. I reccomend using them if you're more advanced in gymnastics and if you have wrist pain.

I have golden hands which are a lot like tiger paws I love them! They help a lot with wrist pain. I have none now. One of my teammates has tiger paws and she likes them I have noticed however that her's are super stiff and she has had them for many months. But both help with wrist pain I highly recommend them. How long have you had the pain? If it's only been for a short time then you may just need to rest it and see if it helps the pain before jumping to wrist supports. Just remember if you're on a competitive team you need to get sand colored ones because, with non sand ones you may get points deducted.
I have the pain every time I tumble on beam and on floor I've always had wrist pain that's why I'm thinking of getting them but I don't know if they will weaken them real bad.

Also can you use them on beam too? I'm working backhandsprings and those hurt my wrists a lot too
We have several girls that use Golden Hands. They use them on floor, vault, and beam - but only 2 use them on beam.
They went with Golden Hands because the "Seconds" version is under $30 and is just a coloring / tanning issue - on ours, you can't even tell.
One girl bought extra of the hard inserts because her PT suggested it. She now has no pain

I have the pain every time I tumble on beam and on floor I've always had wrist pain that's why I'm thinking of getting them but I don't know if they will weaken them real bad.
I have been told that they don't weaken your wrists. And with golden hands you can slowly work to less support and can work to going with out them

I would get tiger paws if I got any wrist supports but my main concern is that they will weaken my wrists so much, skills on beam will be a lot more hard and painful

Ask your coaches since they may have ideas or rules. Mine didn't want us to regularly use wrist supports, and had us do wrist strengthening exercises again. We were always supposed to use them on Yurchenko vaults, though.

OK I have a stupid question. And yes there are stupid questions.

If these tiger paws are so helpful for wrists.

Why are not all kids wearing them for preventive measures? So they don't the injuries that require the needs for them? This seems to be a safe course of action. But I am a dopey parent.

OK I have a stupid question. And yes there are stupid questions.

If these tiger paws are so helpful for wrists.

Why are not all kids wearing them for preventive measures? So they don't the injuries that require the needs for them? This seems to be a safe course of action. But I am a dopey parent.

I think beucause the main idea is to only get them if you absolutely have to have them because they can weaken your wrists and a lot of coaches prefer to have their gymnasts not wear them bc of that reason. Also they are pretty expensive. If you get hurt and injure your wrists then that would be a good time to get them because you know it won't happen again, because you have added stability!

I think beucause the main idea is to only get them if you absolutely have to have them because they can weaken your wrists and a lot of coaches prefer to have their gymnasts not wear them bc of that reason. Also they are pretty expensive. If you get hurt and injure your wrists then that would be a good time to get them because you know it won't happen again, because you have added stability!
They do not weaken the wrists.
Many coaches don't want gymnasts to use them for one of four reasons:
1. They buy into the theory that they weaken the wrist.
2. They don't want to deal with girls forgetting them and thinking they can't tumble even if their wrists are fine without them.
3. They don't want to force yet another cost on parents.
4. They think there is a deduction for colored ones in competition. I know of two winners at their L7 State meet that competed in colored wrist supports (one in blue and one in purple). Their team colors are black, purple, and green.
And related to cost, Golden Hands and Tiger Paws are the same thing - just different companies. Golden Hands offers ones that didn't color correctly for under $30. Ours look perfect... We got Sand colored ones. They have other colors in the Seconds too. And the First Quality ones are less expensive than Tiger Paws too.

I have been told by two doctors and a physical therapist that they do not weaken your wrists. I have been told by a coach that they do. Seems to be some contention there.

That puts the parent in a tough spot if the coach disagrees with the doctor/PT. The Tiger Paws are supposed to prevent wrists from hyper extension, I am not sure how that is supposed to weaken the wrists...
Would love to hear from coaches about their opinions and how they have come to form that opinion, I know DD's gym discourages the use of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back