WAG Tiger Paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

poodlemomma

Proud Parent
My DD wants these. She borrowed some from a friend and said she liked how they supported her wrists. She is level 6 and trying to get to level 7 before start of competition. They have started working on higher level vault skills, but I know those aren't required yet. Her coach said she doesn't really need them yet, but if she wants them the coach would order her some.

What are your thoughts on these? I am worried with the extra support her wrists may weaken.

When my daughter started training L7, I think these were recommended because of the increased impact on the wrists. That said my daughter doesn't use them unless her wrists are bothering her and the support will help. Good luck!

My DD got them for Christmas as a preventive measure and started wearing them full time two months ago. She's near full grown at 5'2 and 115 lbs. and is working skills from L7 to L9. For me, the deciding factors were the difficulty of the skills, the pounding her wrists take on floor and vault (this gym has no pit) and her weight/size. I can't think of more than a handful of small girls at our old gym that didn't have wrist guards.

Protect those wrists! Dd is coming back from 3 weeks in a splint bc of distal radial Epiphysitis. Wear them often and always!! And replace them at least every year!

I'm so conflicted about this! My daughter is a 2nd year Level 10 and has never worn Tiger Paws. She had very slight wrist pain a few years ago and her orthopedist recommended the wrist supports you can buy over the counter. He said that wearing Tiger Paws don't help to 'strengthen' the wrist and therefore the gymnast becomes dependent on these.

He x-rayed and said she does not have 'gymnast wrists' (whatever that is!).

So confused!

Thankfully, the problem resolved after a bit and she's not had an issue since.

However everyone who posted wear to avoid a problem and wrists weren't meant to do gymnastics makes total sense so I now wonder if she should be using them?!!

I'm so conflicted about this! My daughter is a 2nd year Level 10 and has never worn Tiger Paws. She had very slight wrist pain a few years ago and her orthopedist recommended the wrist supports you can buy over the counter. He said that wearing Tiger Paws don't help to 'strengthen' the wrist and therefore the gymnast becomes dependent on these.

He x-rayed and said she does not have 'gymnast wrists' (whatever that is!).

So confused!

Thankfully, the problem resolved after a bit and she's not had an issue since.

However everyone who posted wear to avoid a problem and wrists weren't meant to do gymnastics makes total sense so I now wonder if she should be using them?!!

Gymnasts wrist, aka distal radial Epiphysitis, is serious and can keep your dd out for a significant amount of time. You are lucky you haven't had any issues yet, hopefully you never will. My suggestion, coming from a mother of a child who had distal radial Epiphysitis, get tiger paws to keep on hand! If her wrist ever start to hurt, instruct her to begin wearing them right then! Don't wait! An injury like that could keep her out up to an entire season!

Best of luck to your dd!!

X-Ray
She was in a splint for 3 week and had pt. Our ortho said that usually they cast girls for it but bc we were so early in diagnosing it, we would do a splint first. Luckily, it worked and she started back 3 weeks after her initial diagnosis.
Thanks, daughter is dealing with a wrist injury. Xrays are clear. They did good wrist and hurting one.

And I assume your girl is in tiger paws

Thanks, daughter is dealing with a wrist injury. Xrays are clear. They did good wrist and hurting one.

And I assume your girl is in tiger paws

She was when the injury occurred, but (mommy fail), they were 2 years old. We since replace the tiger paws and have extra inserts ready to go in.

Agree -- they're for support, not to strengthen. I do have to say, I am mighty impressed that @shelovestoflip's daughter made it to L10 without Tiger Paws and without wrist pain!

From what I've read, distal radial Epiphysitis usually occurs (not always, of course) when training level 8 (yurchenkos and beam series). Dd is training lv 8, already had been doing a series on beam during lv 7, so I blame the yurchenko. :/ All is well now. We are just extra cautious! She is still doing pt at home.

Gymnasts wrist, aka distal radial Epiphysitis, is serious and can keep your dd out for a significant amount of time. You are lucky you haven't had any issues yet, hopefully you never will. My suggestion, coming from a mother of a child who had distal radial Epiphysitis, get tiger paws to keep on hand! If her wrist ever start to hurt, instruct her to begin wearing them right then! Don't wait! An injury like that could keep her out up to an entire season!

Best of luck to your dd!!
I will do this! Having them and using as needed seems to be a good idea!

Agree -- they're for support, not to strengthen. I do have to say, I am mighty impressed that @shelovestoflip's daughter made it to L10 without Tiger Paws and without wrist pain!
Oh geez, I'm now scared I've cursed her! Yikes!! As I posted yesterday, she did have minimal wrist pain about 3 years ago and used over the counter supports. No problems since then but eek...I'm worrying!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back