Parents Tiger paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
Hi,
When a gymnast uses tiger paws after a wrist injury, should they be worn on both wrists or just the injured one? Will wearing just one cause stress on the other wrist? Thanks!

I would suggest asking your kid's doctor that was treating the injury for an accurate answer.

My dd started wearing them after she broke her thumb because her wrist was weak after the cast came off. She really only needed one but decided just to wear both to feel balanced. I can't imagine that it could hurt the other wrist by wearing it if you don't have to but I have no medical knowledge whatsoever.

This depends on what level your child is and what skills they are working on. Also depends on the gym - are they ok with gymnasts wearing tiger paws long term? Many are not and so they would want the gymnast to use only one as they build strength back up. Mine broke her wrist in a beginner level and she used only tiger paw initially but she had a tough time building strength and she began over compensating. Eventually she decided on her own to wear them on both hands.

My daughter wears tiger paws on both wrists. And she has ever since she recovered (notice I said recovered as in cleared medically) from a wrist injury.

As they are sold as a set, they are designed to be used together. Much like pads and supports that are used in other sports and after having gone through the wrist thing with my daughter I consider them essential for gymnastics.

As someone here pointed out at the time of my kids injury, wrists aren’t designed to be pounded on.

She uses them for beam, floor and vault.

My daughter only wears them rarely if she has a flare-up, and she prefers to only wear one on the impacted wrist. I've asked her if it makes her feel imbalanced, but she says wearing one on her 'good wrist' bothers her. Note- she has been treated by sports medicine and regularly has check-ups. If there is wrist pain enough to need something like this regularly, its really important to get your gymnast checked by a professional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back