WAG Tiny hands - grips or no grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
At our gym's parent meeting last week, it was announced that having two pairs of dowel grips is required for all L4s and up. I have 2 DDs in L4.

I have no problem buying them for my 9 year old, who measures at a size zero grip.

I'm not sure about buying them yet for my younger DD (6.5 years old). She measures at a 000 grip, and I wonder if they will make it harder for her to grip the bar since her hands are so tiny. She is a peanut (38 inches and 39 pounds), and bars is her best event. She has all the L4 skills and is working L5 skills.

Looking for experienced gymnast/coach/parent advice.

My older DD worked out with the "old" L5 team last year, and competed at 2 meets at the end of the season. About 1/3 of the team did not use grips, so I guess the rule is not heavily enforced.

My ds first pair of grips were 00. They were great for him. They actually helped his high bar a lot. He was 8 when he got them. Not sure if I would have done them much sooner than that though.

No,no,no!!!! I don't recommend grips for kids with tiny hands. It's already hard enough to hold on to the bar for the little ones. One little girl, that goes to the gym I coach at, got grips when she was 6(but the size of a 4 year old)they ruined her technique. She is still tiny (ten and about 45 pounds) and her hands still aren't large enough to grasp the bar properly with the grips on. I have a group of young new level 4s, and I will not allow them to get grips until their hands are big enough to fit the size 1.
p.s. some of them are doing giants and clearhips to handstands without grips

It's hard for girls to wear grips if their hands are under 5 and a half inches. It's easier with boys as the bar is smaller. That's just my opinion though.

EDIT: We also have girls that will compete giants with no grips.

I would avoid grips for her. Boys are different, as has been mentioned.

But grips for a child too young can cause damage to the growth plate which can result in arthiritis as an adult.

It is honestly the coaches choice, but I'd recommend staying away from grips for a bit longer. They won't exactly benefit her, considering her size and it would only set her back. Its up to her and her coach, but thats my opinion!:):)

Well my small dd has had a really hard time and still can't get her giants in grips after being the provincial champion on bars wearing no grips. She is even at the "i want to quit gym" stage some days because relearning everything with grips has been hard.

So my honest "mom" opinion, is to get them in grips sooner than later because relearning everything is hard.

I would avoid grips for her. Boys are different, as has been mentioned.

But grips for a child too young can cause damage to the growth plate which can result in arthiritis as an adult.

I have never seen or heard any evidence for this. Can you link me to an article for this. What age are they saying is too young. Very young children in the UK tend to use palm guards which I am presuming are ok but I would like to know more.

I personally would think strap bar too young or too much would cause more growth plate damage than grips but you do see a lot of strap bar work going on.

Nah, no grips for a 6 year old.
I don't know anything about growth plate damage, but as a gymnast with very tiny hands even at age 19 I can tell you that we have a hard time adjusting to grips.
I got my first pair of grips when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Back then I prefered direct contact to the bar but the ripping got so bad, I had no choice. After being put into grips, bars quickly bacame my worst event, I took some bad crashes because I just couldn't hold on to the bars anymore. What worked well for me were tape grips, they're great for the transitioning period.
As for your little one I don't even see a reason for tape grips. Her hands will be growing a lot, buying grips now would be a waste of money and a lot of frustration on her side as she'll have to relearn the skills she already had without grips.
Introducing grips at a certain skill level IMO is a stupid idea. Every gymnast is different in this and many other aspects, their coach should know that.

My dd started using grips at age 5 as all the rest of her group used them and she has never had any trouble with them. I think her first pair were size 00 and now she is size 0. She got her kip and all her skills using grips. I think its better that way for her then getting all her skills without grips then having to relearn them using grips.

As a coach and a gym mom, I say no grips! My DD is 6 (new season level 3. She has tiny hands also, and as "fun" or "grown up" as is seems to the girls, its not necessary and will probably hold her back. There is really NO need for grips until she starts training high level skills like giants, free hips, and so-on... But like you said, its coach's choice. I think it's silly that they force them to wear them. There are tons of high level girls who dont even use them... To each their own I suppose :)

Just tried one of our tiny kids in grips the other day...she is 8 years old. She went from being able to do giants with no grip to being able to do giants with grips in 3 turns. That's how the transition from no grips to grips should work...in theory.

Here is our grip of choice for the little ones...

http://www.usglove.com/womans-regular-hot-shot-buckle-gymnastics-grips/

For your older DD you should look into grips from Ginnasta. My DD has been using them for over a year now and has told me she will never use a different brand again. There is really no break in period and they have not stretched out on her either. Plus, they have the best customer service of any company I have ever worked with! Any question is answered very quickly and shipping is super fast! They also have a rewards program.

My daughter has very small hands still...now 14 and training Level 9. She is also in the same pair she's had for three years (and no pair waiting in the wings...yikes...perhaps I should get on that!)

Hers are either 00 or 0....no clue of the brand...whatever they sell at her gym which is I assume what they think is the 'best' type (all I know is they are buckle not velcro)

My question is...I was looking at the link provided above to Ginnasta....they say they have no break in period. Is this really true? Because obviously that would be good since she doesn't have any others!

Also, is there a reason gyms want girls to wear certain types? As in, why not get the Ginnasta brand if they have no break in?

Just curious!!

My daughter has very small hands still...now 14 and training Level 9. She is also in the same pair she's had for three years (and no pair waiting in the wings...yikes...perhaps I should get on that!)

Hers are either 00 or 0....no clue of the brand...whatever they sell at her gym which is I assume what they think is the 'best' type (all I know is they are buckle not velcro)

My question is...I was looking at the link provided above to Ginnasta....they say they have no break in period. Is this really true? Because obviously that would be good since she doesn't have any others!

Also, is there a reason gyms want girls to wear certain types? As in, why not get the Ginnasta brand if they have no break in?

Just curious!!

I just bought my daughter her first pair of ginnasta grips. Really there was no break in period. They were very soft. As she sprays them of course they have harden up a bit but so do other grips. I found the sizing to be small compared to the ones I have bought her before. I think she is in a size 2 and her other grips are a double 00. I am not sure how long they will last as the leather feels thinner. But my dd loves them and the company was super fantastic to deal with.

I agree JBS with the hotshots by USGlove. My daughter wore them up until this summer. They have two types made for under level seven swinging and above. Mine wore the ones for over 75lbs and upper level swinging even while training elite at 32+ hours!

Thanks for all the replies. I am ordering my older DD Ginnasta grips this week. I will talk to the coaches about younger DD. I would prefer no grips, but if she must have them I will order the 000 hot shots that were recommended here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back