Parents Tips for a family new to gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Graham14

Proud Parent
My DD who is 4 and my son is 1.5. I was originally going to put DD in gymnastics when she was about 2, but in the end I went with dance, which she still does and loves.

In the past year she went to a gymnastics party and fell in love. It was all she talked about for months. So we had her birthday at a gym too and again, it was all she could talk about. she has been making up her own "gymnastics moves" too, showing me kicks and jumps and the splits that her pre-K friends have shown her from their gymnastics classes, asking me to help her do a cartwheel, and now my DS has been trying to do forward rolls by himself, so I finally just decided I really need to put them in a classes.

So, we'll be starting in January with a beginner 3-5 age class for her and a mommy and me class for him that fortunately hit at the same time.

Any advice for a family that is new to gymnastics? how many times a week are 4 year olds expected to take? We are starting off with one day a week but it seems like many people do multiple days, even at this age? We bought a leotard and have called the gym to ask if we could join mid year, which thankfully they said we could do.

Do most kids take all year or just the school year calendar? I'm open to just about anything, if she likes it, but I honestly have no idea what to expect, except that the few Gym families I know are totally immersed in traveling and meets and practices all day/everyday it seems.

I'm sure the gym will give us info too, but I like to know what I'm getting into! Any and all advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Do what is good for your family......go slow!!!!!
Make sure and listen to your DD and make sure she is having fun!

Don't do gymnastics at home if you can help it, and don't try and teach her anything....
Enjoy it, her and your son.....it's truly an amazing sport, and it can bring out the best.

At our gym and most gyms I know, they go by "terms" ... and ours is monthly.
Classes are once a week... however, you CAN sign up for more than one class if you really want to (I rarely see that at the start though).
I think in all the years I have been at the gym, YG is the only child that took multiple preschool classes in a week (and her big sis was on team, so we were there anyways and it was that or have my brother take her somewhere else the entire time) This is the same little girl that "decided" to try to cut 6-year molars at not quite 3 years old because the head coach told her she couldn't be on team until she was 6! Less than one week after the HC told her this, we were in the ER, on Labor Day, trying to figure out what was wrong with her and it ended up being her teeth - all 4 of them... and there was no room in her 2-1/2 year old mouth.
We started putting her into all the preschool classes she was there for... no more than 4 a week (yes, she was technically too young, but the HC gave permission).

Oh what a fun time to be back at the beginning of things! I wish I could take my collective knowledge and go back in time sometimes ;)

Some tips...

• Start with just once a week, and after a few weeks or so, if she is still loving it and begging for more more more, then it might be time to evaluate what options your gym has for more time in the gym..
  • Gyms often start around age 4-5 with what is called "Developmental" track vs. Recreational track. Developmental leads to team, and has more hours (but should still be pretty minimal at age 4-5). Rec is just for fun. You will need to talk to the coach(es) who teach these classes, and collectively assess if it's an option you might consider for your child, as well as if she is ready or not (e.g., has the skill set, focus, attitude/behavior, strength, flexibility, whatever their criteria are). Or your gym might be one that has kids stay in Rec until age 6-8 and then take a team track once more skills are accomplished. You'll just want to know how it all works in any case.
  • If she's more suited to Rec, then keep Rec to 1-2 classes per week for another year, and if she still wants more more more, then again evaluate options for team, or a related sport like Cheer, Tumbling&Trampoline, etc.
  • Whatever you do, keep it FUN for her.
  • If she does end up becoming a Team gymnast (especially "Junior Olympic" track), by the time she is 6-7, she may be going anywhere from 6-16 hours per week at that time. My 9 year old goes 20 hours, 24 in summer. We only started 2.5 years ago. Train can start to move fast (!!) So put her in NON-gymnastics activities NOW while she still has free time! Swim, bike, art class, soccer, take trips, whatever. She is 4. Don't spend ALL her time in gymnastics! If she does end up loving it, she will be in the gym all day every day soon enough...
  • When we innocently signed up my cutie-pie for a 1x week rec class to 'learn cartwheels and stuff', we hesitated to plop down $80/month. Now multiply that (literally) by 10 for what we pay for her to train and compete.
  • If she doesn't become a team gymnast, it's still GREAT for fitness, and something to enjoy for a lifetime that complements other sports.
  • And keep the boy in gymnastics! Boy gymnasts rock! What boy doesn't want to learn to do back-flips on command and arm-wrestle kids 4 years older than him and still always win? :D Can you tell I also have a boy gymnast?? I am the crazy one o_O ;)

my advice at this early stage would be this: do not talk about team or competing with her because you just never know if she'll end up on team or not. it could be really heartbreaking (for both of you) to build that expectation and then find out she just isn't cut out for it. best wishes!

Give serious thought to, whether or not, down the road you as a parent/family can afford the time and funds needed if she continues into upper level team. Usually the answer is yes, and even if "not so much", somehow you find the time & money if it reaches that point, but it is indeed a good idea to think about it at the beginning, "Just in case" :)
Enjoy the ride!

Thank you for the advice everyone!!

Munckin3: I definitely wouldn't try to "coach" her at home! lol I'll leave that to the professionals!

Raenndrops: That is crazy about all of the molars!!

Sasha: I had heard about recreational versus the levels 1-10 to elite. I have a feeling DD will probably go the rec route. I don't know. It's hard to say at 4. She's smart but does lack a bit of focus. She's also not a daredevil by any means, so I'm not sure gymnastics will end up being her thing anyways (and this personality trait was one of the reasons I put her in dance instead of gym early on). She enjoys dance, and if gym doesn't work out, it will have at least helped her for that.. She tried soccer and didn't like it, but we may try field hockey or lacrosse when she become age eligible for those programs just to give team sports another shot when she's older, as well as cheer. I'm really open to anything she likes, so if she wants to shoot for the stars we'll work our way up there, or if she just wants to go once a week to rec, we'll do that too and love every minute. And yes, I think my son will be ALL about it. No fear and all strength :) We don't have the build of NBA or NFL players, so gym should be right up his alley! lol

gymbeam: I don't think my DD even knows what competing really is! lol All she knows is that her Pre-K friends told her the "big girls" that do gymnastics get medals. And DD explained to me that medals were like necklaces and she would like some lol. And I actually don't think gym will ultimately be the sport/activity she sets her heart on or the one that she even might have the most raw talent. I'm pretty realistic about her abilities, not that I don't think she's a great kid (because of course I'm her momma and biggest fan!), but I'm not expecting her to be the next gymnastics prodigy at all. Working hard, being physically active, being a gracious winner or loser, and being a positive teammate, are the things I WILL expect in whatever she does. :)

Ali'sMom: I have given this a bit of thought, but I'm not honestly sure how much anything costs, other than the $140ish I'll be paying per five week term for both kids to be in their age class once a week, and the $25ish dollars I spent on a toddler sized leo. How much does it cost per competition? Entry fees? Team fees? I'm sure we could find ways to make it happen in the future if she takes to the sport. I'm the kind of crazy mom that will find a way :)

Thanks for all of the sage advice! Also, I got her the attached leo off of etsy? Is this appropriate? Should I get shorts to go with? Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Attachments

• leo.jpg
    leo.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 60
Just to give you a general sense on cost. We are paying a little over $600 a month not including leos, team gear and family travel costs (meaning things like hotels stays or restaurants).

Oh almost forgot, that Leo is adorable! What an exciting time. Shorts is usually a personal gymnast preference for rec. Whatever she is most comfortable in should work.

Thank you for the advice everyone!!

Working hard, being physically active, being a gracious winner or loser, and being a positive teammate, are the things I WILL expect in whatever she does. :)

These things are some of the biggest takeaways both of my children have gotten from years of experience in gymnastics. Add to that perseverance, the ability to accept and respond well to constructive criticism, the ability to deal with frustration, an excellent understanding of their bodies' capabilities, poise, confidence, and the ability to present oneself in the world before an evaluative audience, and you've pretty much got it.

The bed of roses comes with an ample supply of thorns, both anticipated ones and those that completely blindside you. But it is a great sport for the kids who fall in love with it, both girls and boys, and I'm glad to support my two's continued gym journeys.

I really appreciate all of the advice! I believe in thoroughly vetting the ins and outs of everything I can, and this has been such a huge help!

Glad the Leo looks appropriate! In dance, some studios frown on certain colors or have preferences in style/sequins/etc. from what I had seen gymnastics was less rigid on color and sparkle, but we're new to this!

Aginghippie: over $600 a month. Yikes. But with what my parents spent on Christmas ballet company fees and end of year dance recital costumes, on top of weekly classes and the never ending pointe shoes at $80 a pop, it probably would be about the same. I'm good with $140ish a month currently for their gymnastics classes ;). But if it comes to it, where there's a will there's a way!

C'mon, let's stop scaring Graham14!
The reality is it is a wonderful sport.....and we all love it, and love what it has done for our children!!!!
It can get addictive at times. So, balance is key......

I hope your little one loves it as much as mine does.....enjoy it because they really learn and grow up so fast!

PS, my son did it for 9 years and it was absolutely excellent for his discipline.

My oldest is training for her 3rd competition season, my middle daughter is training for her second, and my youngest daughter is still in rec classes. My son can't start rec class until he turns two in May. We started with just the oldest in preschool rec for one hour a week. It has definitely snowballed from there, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Our gym does their best to give the kids good training for a reasonable price with a reasonable time commitment. It gets most expensive when it is time to pay competition fees (including uniforms) and when registering for camps. My girls rare some of the most physically fit at their school, and I credit gymnastics for helping them to become mature, hard-working individuals.

At 4, I'd let her coaches dictate the pace. As her mom, just make sure she is having fun and getting enough rest and good nutrition. My daughter started at 7, Level 4. She is now 14 and second year Level 10. Most parents will experience some kind of sticker shock at one point or another, either in tuition, days/hours of practice, meet fees, coaches fees, competition leo and workout leo costs, etc. Then there is traveling quite a bit for meets as you get to the higher levels, splitting the household in two because meets may require the whole weekend.

No one can really prepare you because gyms are managed, coached and trained differently. Most parents are "overly" and outwardly anxious and too invested in the sport in the first few years (myself included); largely because (I think) they think their kids are so darn cute (and they are,) and we are impressed that our little suzy went from walking to tumbling and doing things we couldn't do ourselves. Then that wanes and anxiety turns inward as we just hold our breath not just wishing they'd get that skill but merely hoping then don't hurt/injure themselves yet again! At this point, really just enjoy watching your daughter and share in her joy and celebrate her getting any skill she is currently working on.

Bout 7 grand a year here for one kid.

I wonder if prices vary per area? I don't think our area is very into gymnastics... A ton of girls do gymnastics from ages 2-6 or something like that, but few people stay in very long. At least that is what it seems like. I think the more well-known gyms are from a different area of the state.

How many hours in the gym per week does 7 grand get you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back