WAG Tips for at-home training to get drop kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastmom38

Proud Parent
A little background. My dd is not one of those that is especially strong upperbody or core, but is probably average. She can do pullups and the other conditioning required for her level 5 team (rope climp included, but not a press to handstand yet).

In order for my dd to advance in her group, she is needing to get her drop kip (for those that don't know what this is, it is where you are up on the bar, you drop down with your legs going down then up to touch the bar and then immediately push back up to the bar). We have a chin up bar at home but no other equipment other than a floor beam and small weights.

Does anyone out there have any kind of tips for what exercises would be best to do at home to help condition the muscles needed to get the drop kip easier? I would imagine it's a combination or core and upper body, correct?

Thanks in advance to any help or advice!! :)

It took mine repetition in the gym. I think at this level, they have the strength to do it, it is more of a timing or feel thing, to do them correctly. I am not one for training in the home. I feel they get enough in the gym. Home is down time, time for her to text her friends, time to enjoy TV or video games, time for her to enjoy her childhood, of course when all the homework is done. If she was to do something at home, then only thing I encourage is stretching or splits, especially with an extended layoff.

Can she do a glide kip and long hang kip? I thought that drop kip was just an exercize for getting better at the kip in general? Why is it holding her back? I'd recommend private lessons w/ a good bar coach at the gym if she needs to get the skill in a shorter amount of time than you think just doing her normal class will allow. I had to do this for my DD so she would have her glide kip in time for Level 5 (it worked...she had it w/in 3 weeks after *months* of unsuccessful trying...it was a timing issue for her, and the repitition and coach attention worked wonders).

Yes, she already has her level 5 routine, including the glide kip and long hang kip. However, she does muscle up a little so I can totally understand that the drop kip would be to help it get better. I've been thinking of getting a private lesson for her on bars overall but she has her last meet of the season this weekend. They've recently split up her group based on if you can do a drop kip or not. :(

Can she do a glide kip and long hang kip? I thought that drop kip was just an exercize for getting better at the kip in general? Why is it holding her back? I'd recommend private lessons w/ a good bar coach at the gym if she needs to get the skill in a shorter amount of time than you think just doing her normal class will allow. I had to do this for my DD so she would have her glide kip in time for Level 5 (it worked...she had it w/in 3 weeks after *months* of unsuccessful trying...it was a timing issue for her, and the repitition and coach attention worked wonders).

Holding her toes to the bar for time.

Make sure she only does this with her head in so her ears are covered by her upper arm.

Besides this, get some furniture sliders and have her work push-pulls with them while in a straight arm plank position.

Push away to hollow plank hold, press to pseudo planche.

if i recall it right my ds had a drill for home given, for the door way bar lower down (ours is not screwed in but moveable) and he had to have mid thigh to bar, straight arms and do a swinging rocking thing under the bar - i think - but it was a while ago!
it was for some sort of p bar thing, but I think it may be relevant!
please choose to totally reprimand or ignore me if I am off topic!

this isn't something that you'll be able to do at home unless you want to install a single bar trainer in the basement.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back