Parents Tips for travel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
We are heading to the Azarian team Cup this year, and I am looking for tips for travel....

Driving in LA is really, one of my absolute worst nightmares. I have done it once before, in 1996..lol.

So...It looks like Orange County/Santa Ana is the closest airport, which I am all for. But Long Beach is cheaper...

Is it that different? What times are best to travel? I am thinking later at night..or mid day? We would most likely be coming in Thursday or Friday and leaving sunday.

Any tips are appreciated!!!

We are heading to the Azarian team Cup this year, and I am looking for tips for travel....

Driving in LA is really, one of my absolute worst nightmares. I have done it once before, in 1996..lol.

So...It looks like Orange County/Santa Ana is the closest airport, which I am all for. But Long Beach is cheaper...

Is it that different? What times are best to travel? I am thinking later at night..or mid day? We would most likely be coming in Thursday or Friday and leaving sunday.

Any tips are appreciated!!!
If you fly in before 1:00 you should be good to fly into Long Beach. Just take the 405 which is about a 30 min drive. If flying in later, better to come into Orange County, especially on a Friday.
Luckily, OC drivers are not as bad as LA

Long Beach airport is super small and easy to navigate and right next to the 405. With no traffic it's only 20 minutes to John Wayne from LB. You don't want to be on the 405 between 2 and 7 on a Friday. Depending on where you are staying there is a toll road (73) that could shorten your drive from Long Beach.

My only suggestion is to arrive by noon on thursday or friday or after 8... The traffic can be insane from 2-7.. if renting a car make sure you have all your address ready to enter into your navigation.

I agree with the advice on arriving before noon or after 8pm. I travel to SoCal a few times/year and lived there for many years. Long Beach and OC airports are super convenient. I avoid both in the winter time though because because of an overall lack in flight frequency. Once every couple of years I experience a weather delay/cancellation to/from my wintery home city and I'd rather deal with that at LAX than the smaller airports. LAX is usually cheaper by a couple hundred $$ too (but this is probably specific to the city I'm travelling from).

You want to be on the road before 2 and even then you just don't know how the traffic will be. As long as you aren't arriving the day of the meet you'll be fine. Where are you staying?

No advice about airports, but I will say that we went to a meet in OC last year and I was SO happy when we moved from LA freeways to the OC freeways. Even with traffic (and there was still a ton when we came in on a Friday about 8pm) if there is an airport that will keep you on those roads, take it!

You want to be on the road before 2 and even then you just don't know how the traffic will be. As long as you aren't arriving the day of the meet you'll be fine. Where are you staying?

We are staying at the Homewood Suites in Aliso Viejo

No advice about airports, but I will say that we went to a meet in OC last year and I was SO happy when we moved from LA freeways to the OC freeways. Even with traffic (and there was still a ton when we came in on a Friday about 8pm) if there is an airport that will keep you on those roads, take it!

Thanks!!

OK. Found a flight landing at Long Beach at 1:55....pushing it too much? It is over $200 cheaper for the 2 of us than Orange County :( Still looking but wanted to see. It would hopefully land Thursday at 1:55. I would have checked luggage and a rental car.

Thank you all soooo much!

Just moved from that area and had to take the 405 north most nights of the week. You’d be heading south though, where the traffic isn’t has heavy at night time.

I love LB airport as you’re basically off the plane and out of the airport in minutes. John Wayne isn’t a huge airport, but not as easy to navigate and a lot slower getting out of it. And as someone else already reported, they’re only about a 20 minute drive apart.

I'm sure if you posted this topic on travel forum, you would get tons of helpful recommendations. Tripadvisor forum is definitely my favourite one to discuss travel issues. Enjoy!

This post is six months old and the last reply was from February. Please do not post on old threads unless you are the OP giving updates.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back