WAG Tips on getting used to grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
It's been a couple of months of dd being in her grips and she still absolutely hates them. She says it never feels like she can get as good a grip on the bar as when she is in bare hands. She is terrified she will "ping off" in her giants which I guess means like fly off?

Her coaches say they fit properly, she has tried different wrist bands underneath.

Her fears are really setting her back. Although the new skills she has learned since wearing them look really good to me. (the free hip handstand and sole circle). It's mostly the giants fear.

Are there any other tips or tricks I could suggest to her to help her become more comfortable in these grips?

Do you think it is worth getting another pair to try?

Thanks everyone!

What I feel is she just needs to keep wearing them and putting chalk on...
That helps shape them...
I don't know anything else...
Mine took about 1-3 months to feel right but now they're perfect!

Try Ginnasta. My lvl 9/10 dd swears by them and her whole team is switching to them. They break-in quickly and she says they are more comfortable.

Good Luck.

I second the vote for Ginnasta. DD struggled for several weeks with her new grips...coach sais they fit fine. I broke down and ordered the Ginnasta and she loved them from day 1!

I also vote for Ginnasta. My daughter is Level 9 (NN in CAD) and loves them. I don't think we will be buying anything else moving forward. She has only had them for a couple of months so I am not sure how long they will last. I did find that they measured small compared to what we have purchased in Canada.

I found sand paper worked wonders for my grips when I was working them in. Just rubbing against the grain, and anywhere the grips rubbed my hands bad helped smooth them out, and I found they were much less slippery after. I also suggest alot of water and chalk, as well as rolling the grips around in your hand to work them in. Ultimately it just takes time to work them in and be comfortable.

I do understand your daughters fear though. I was working on uprises (stem rise / up starts) on the high bar when I first got my grips, "pinged" off, and ended standing on the low bar! It was quite a sight but sure scared me!

If your daughter is doing kips / sole circles and staying on the bar, I cant see her falling of the bar in giants because the momentum is the same with the circling around the bar and the wrist shift.

Maybe starting with the basics and working up to giants would benefit her. Or doing her giants on a pit bar so if she does slip off, she would be safe.

Wishing her best of luck with her new grips and gymnastics!

Actually, I recommend Reisport grips. I've had mine for like 3 years now and they're perfect. It only took me a week or two to get used to them. Have your DD try doing lots of tapswings to get them broken in.

In the 'old days', it could take months to break in a pair of grips 'just right', but not these days. There are many companies with grips that should be broken in within days, if not turns. I had my team switch to Ginnasta recently, and we have been very happy, but I know there are several other good brands out there as well. Just a word of caution, I never, (repeat for emphasis) never second guess my girls. If they tell me they feel like something is wrong 'She is terrified she will "ping off" in her giants' I listen! She, and only she, knows what it feels like to her. If she has had her grips for a couple of months and feels they aren't broke in or safe, I would HIGHLY recommend a different pair. That would be some pretty cheap insurance for you, and piece of mind for her. Hope it helps.

it's about proprioception. to much leather over a too large of a span on the hands can cause the gymnast to lose their 'feeling' of the bar. without knowing what kind of grips they are it's hard to tell. take a pic of the grip on her hand and post it and i'll take a look. "just right" grips made by US Glove are more narrow on the palm and allow more 'skin' to 'rail ' contact. this usually solves the problem.

and as coachp stated, it just may take more time. as i have stated before, and if you have a boys high bar in the gym, the best way to break in grips is to swing on a metal bar. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back