TiVo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mpkbt

Proud Parent
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if they have set up a TiVo system (video replay) in their gym. Our Booster club is trying to find out how much it would cost and how to set one up. My dd old gym had this system and it was great for the gymnasts. Especially, those gymnasts that learn visually! Thanks a bunch for the info!

We have 2 set up in our gym. I think it totalled out at... $300 or so.. but some of what we had was donated by alums (we're a high shcool). Right now, I think the camera will be the biggest expense..

They work really well.. we like them!

Can you give me a list of what you used to set it up? The booster club is trying to set it up for the gym and we are clueless! Thanks

We currently have our system set up on carts.

2 carts-

One small TV

One Video camera

One Tivo

The Tivos will need to be "activated" before they are usable. Basically, take it home and plug it into a phone line, power it up and register, and then youre off and running.

All in all, depending on what you want to spend, you can find old CRT small TVs for relatively inexpensive amounts, or look to see if anyone is upgrading to a new fandangled LCD TV and need to get rid of their old one. Best way to recycle.

It doesn't really matter what type of camera you get, as long as it can do video output to a monitor without recording (which most can). You may need adapters to accomplish this, but most cameras come with the adapters you will need.

You will need to set up the TiVo to "show live TV" once you are all set up. Then, you can program a delay so it is 5 seconds behind (we find about 15 seconds allows for a pass/turn and then the kids can watch while they rechalk or rest).

The things we found the most difficult are actually finding space and time to use it. We have been eagerly watching LCD prices drop waiting for a time when a cheap 20" TV or so drops enough that we can mount one on our wall and make a permanent TiVo spot for a few events. It is a hassle to put it away every day you use it, as well as having power cords running throughout the gym. The more static and permanent you make it, and easier to use, the better. Most kids wont even realize they are watching themselves, but they get an "aha" moment when they see themselves mess up.

I hope that helps!

If you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

Ryan

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back