WAG To call or not to call; that is the cgm's question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Orangesoda

Proud Parent
The short version: I was told in November that my pre-pre-team daughter was ready to advance to the next class, but gym wasn't doing any moves until after a planned holiday program due to difficulty levels of routines to be performed. It's been three weeks since the holiday show and I've heard nothing. Do I call?

I'm not concerned about a conspiracy or anything. The team track at my gym is pretty high volume, and honestly I'm a little worried she's been overlooked and could idle away for awhile. Cgm? Or conscientious parent? Judge me!! Please?

Kids can be overlooked , not usually but occasionally- ring once as a conscientious mum. Most likely the coaches are very busy and haven't rung anyone yet, or part way through ringing everyone......

If I rang twice or more to be told the same answer- we're working on it, I'd label myself CGM :)...

Judged myself instead of you LOL

Thanks you guys. I'd MUCH prefer email but I haven't known her coach to communicate that way. I'm all thumbs on the phone.

I feel like such a loser calling to ask the token "when is my kid moving up" question. I've been in limbo since the beginning of November though, anticipating this move. If the plan is for her to stay where she is, honestly my cgm side would be bummed but at least my reasonable self would be able to schedule other activities with confidence!

Have other children been moved or have you heard from other mothers that they've been contacted? Although you may be driven by your cgm side, it isn't unreasonable to want to know her class time for scheduling purposes..or at least to ask when you will be informed.

But do remember it is a marathon. ...whatever class she is in will likely have zero impact on her ultimate gym destination. ...really, I promise!

If it's been awhile, ask. I work at the desk, and I have no idea how the kids are progressing. I love to keep my coaches on their toes...I would at least expect a coach to come out and tell you where your child is at, and if you should expect a move up soon. Even tell you what they need to be working on to move to the next level. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Send an email, or phone in. You really don't sound like a crazy gym mom to me. You just want to know what group you need to bring your daughter too.

You're at your dentist's office getting a routine cleaning when she mentions a great new product that might interest you. She says it will be in sometime during February and she will call you if you are interested in purchasing it. You ask her to do so with eagerness. Then in March, when you realize you haven't heard from her, would you call and inquire about the product you are wishing to purchase that will bring you happiness?

If the answer is yes, then call the gym! They told you about a product (pre-team) that you are wanting to purchase (tuition). They are in the business of selling a product (teaching gymnastics for a fee). That is all. It is a simple business-related question, not a test of your mental health. :)

Does DD want to move up? If so, then tell the coach that DD's interested in what you discussed in November. Be ready for any answer, however. The CGM is the one that starts arguing with the coach about readiness, not the one that follows up on something a few months after the coach mentioned it.

Does DD want to move up? If so, then tell the coach that DD's interested in what you discussed in November. Be ready for any answer, however. The CGM is the one that starts arguing with the coach about readiness, not the one that follows up on something a few months after the coach mentioned it.[/QUOTE
I would call or email if it were me. I don't think you're being a CGM at all. I

Have other children been moved or have you heard from other mothers that they've been contacted? Although you may be driven by your cgm side, it isn't unreasonable to want to know her class time for scheduling purposes..or at least to ask when you will be informed.

But do remember it is a marathon. ...whatever class she is in will likely have zero impact on her ultimate gym destination. ...really, I promise!

I haven't noticed any other kids who've been moved. Movement in the pre-team arena is fluid at our gym. Kids are moved individually as they're ready. Dd told me last week that the coach was "testing" them on their skills for moves and I saw coach with the infamous clipboard, but we've attended two classes since then with no indicators of a change. And honestly IMO, dd was ready LAST time the clipboard was out - this is as per the coach. I've been patient is mom standard time I think. Maybe I haven't been patient in gymnastics time.

I called. Left a message. I'm nervous.

I called. Left a message. I'm nervous.
If you're polite and it's apparent that you're seeking understanding rather than pushing, it'll be fine. I've dealt with a variety of coaches at two gyms, and I've found that approach is everything. Those that are seeking clarity but are willing to accept reality are generally well received. Even when there are problems, you can approach the coaches in ways that make them want to help you rather than want to run from you. I even found this to be true with the old school hard @ss Soviet coaches. It's when you try to push your decisions into their classes or when you imply they don't know what they're doing that it goes sideways.

Does DD want to move up? If so, then tell the coach that DD's interested in what you discussed in November. Be ready for any answer, however. The CGM is the one that starts arguing with the coach about readiness, not the one that follows up on something a few months after the coach mentioned it.

Moving up is definitely not a priority for dd at this point. She's barely 5 and is equally content doing gymnastics, coloring, watching tv, or eating a hotdog depending on her mood. Haha. Of course, as a mom, I'd like to see her progress appropriately for her skill level. We drive a distance to the gym and the next class is a half hour longer so that appeals to her ole momskeez as well.

I agree that one inquiry will NOT make you a CGM. As other posters have suggested, I would contact them once and maybe she has been overlooked by mistake and maybe they are just running behind schedule with the move-ups.

A couple years ago my daughter was placed in what she and I both thought was the wrong level after finishing pre-team. She had just turned 8 and was put in L2. It was REALLY hard but I did not say anything to the coaches. She ended up working her butt off to get moved up to L3 by mid-summer. One of the things the HC noticed was her dedication and work ethic, not necessarily her skills. She ended up being one of the better girls on the team that year and is now a really solid L4 with most of her L5 skills.

So not exactly the same scenario as yours... My point is that sometimes it is hard to stand back and let things flow, but often if you do everything will work out. A lot of times coaches are bombarded by questions from parents, which can make them seem unapproachable. Good timing is key and since you said you are more comfortable with email, that may be your best bet. Good luck!

I think as long as you're just clarifying based on the previous situation and willing to accept any answer, it is fine. If you had decided yourself that your daughter is better than the rest of the class, and demanded that she be moved up, then that would not be fine. I am sure the coaches will willing to at least tell you if anything has changed since your last update or it could just be a miscommunication - maybe the coach thinks that since your daughter keeps attending this class, you didn't want her to move up. This can be fairly common (sometimes people can't change their schedule mid year), so most coaches are used to that.

Just do a quick "checking in" email for chat with the coach. I do a lot of "checking in" emails because I have a busy schedule with busy kids :) I tend to need grandparent help. So the sooner I know the game plan, the easier it is for me to schedule and find help. Makes me less of a CEM (crazy everything mom) in general.

Just do a quick "checking in" email for chat with the coach. I do a lot of "checking in" emails because I have a busy schedule with busy kids :) I tend to need grandparent help. So the sooner I know the game plan, the easier it is for me to schedule and find help. Makes me less of a CEM (crazy everything mom) in general.
Yes, this is me too. I have to arrange babysitting with grandparents and they're trying to set up such and such on different days of the week, and I keep saying that I THINK we're going to be switching to such and such day and blah blah. You get the point. My weeks are pretty heavily scheduled, and I'm trying to make gymnastics a priority.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back