To homeschool or not to homeschool

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At and 6 yo, she has no concept of time...12 hours vs. 25 hours means nothing to a first grader. I was glad to hear from the TX mom who said the Level 4s there aren't on this insane path either.

I really think that at least investigating another gym is warranted; given the tactics and philosophy that OP's current one operates under. I too would like to see if they've got any gymnasts left standing by the time they are Level 10!!

List of very talented gymnasts who burned out too soon

:( Not to be a downer, but I think this list is germane to the topic being discussed...the following girls were GREAT gymnasts and many ENDED their careers and retired or left the sport as Juniors because they were burned out....Monica Shoji (former National Team member); Bianca Flohr (4 time National Team member); Shantessa Pama (National Team Member 2004-6); Alecia Musser (US National Championships 8th AA; former Jr. Int. Elite); Carol Byrnes (former Jr. International Elite, now pursuing diving);Taylor Schick (former Jr Int Elite; ended career after competing at US Nats in 2006) ;Petra Matthies (former Jr. Int Elite; won 1st AA 9 Easterns 2005; 1st AA Level 10 JO Nationals 2006)...

Who knows that if these girls had been trained in a moderate fashion, would they still be with the sport? I think this is something for the OP to consider...

That is a comprehensive list, but I know for sure that Petra Matthies & Monica Shoji were on pre-team at the age of 6- training 6 hours per week, and did not start training extensive hours until they were over the age of 10. When they were in Level 4 they trained about 10-12 hours

Actually that's kind of the point...as you say Gymch34, Shoji and Matthies has nowhere near the # of hours proposed for the OP's daughter as a 6 yo and they STILL burned out...what is that's said, gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint.

:( Not to be a downer, but I think this list is germane to the topic being discussed...the following girls were GREAT gymnasts and many ENDED their careers and retired or left the sport as Juniors because they were burned out....Monica Shoji (former National Team member); Bianca Flohr (4 time National Team member); Shantessa Pama (National Team Member 2004-6); Alecia Musser (US National Championships 8th AA; former Jr. Int. Elite); Carol Byrnes (former Jr. International Elite, now pursuing diving);Taylor Schick (former Jr Int Elite; ended career after competing at US Nats in 2006) ;Petra Matthies (former Jr. Int Elite; won 1st AA 9 Easterns 2005; 1st AA Level 10 JO Nationals 2006)...

Who knows that if these girls had been trained in a moderate fashion, would they still be with the sport? I think this is something for the OP to consider...

I had wondered what happened to some of these girls... especially Shantessa Pama and Bianca Flohr. What a shame. .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back