Parents To play or not to play the social media game, sex sells?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
From the NYT "New Endorsements for College Athletes Resurface Old Concern: Sex Sells". Many conversations about insta-gymmies. But the fact of the matter is there is now real money to be had, life-changing money for girls who cultivate a large social media following. And without a doubt, sex sells. Obviously the article using Dunne as prime example, her social media is chock full of pouty lips, bikinis and suggestive poses (all wearing product of course). I am noticing several other gymnasts (mainly the elites) that have a decent number of followers start mimicking this. I honestly dont know how I feel about this, of course uneasy with the sexualization but at the same time, if they are working the system and just skirting what is tasteful/tasteless good to them to leverage that.

That's what I mean, on one had its amazing that these athletes, so young can reap, as I said, life-changing money, by working hard and working the platforms. I am sure its not easy or fun to constantly have to come up and make content. On the other hand, I guess I am kinda worried about society that we seem to value such things so much.

If people thought the NCAA leos were tiny before, just wait until women's gymnastics NIL really gets rolling. It's going to look like south beach unless the NCAA regulate attire.

I think monetizing the sexualization of young women is probably not the greatest thing for the girls who look up to them. It's already hard to be a teen girl without your sports role models straddling the line between "sport" and "Ista thot".

Of course, that's what parents are for and these NCAA women should do whatever they think is best for themselves.

If people thought the NCAA leos were tiny before, just wait until women's gymnastics NIL really gets rolling. It's going to look like south beach unless the NCAA regulate attire.

I think monetizing the sexualization of young women is probably not the greatest thing for the girls who look up to them. It's already hard to be a teen girl without your sports role models straddling the line between "sport" and "Ista thot".

Of course, that's what parents are for and these NCAA women should do whatever they think is best for themselves.
I have to say I don’t care for the trend at all. I’m happy for the athletes to be able to profit off their talent and hard work. I’m just not a fan of Olivia’s social media at all. But clearly a middle age mom is not her target audience. My daughter does follow her as do her teammates and I’ve noticed some similar poses and looks in some of their content, which I don’t love. I prefer those who are profiting off their talent more than their look, but again I’m clearly not who she is trying to appeal too.

I have to say I don’t care for the trend at all. I’m happy for the athletes to be able to profit off their talent and hard work. I’m just not a fan of Olivia’s social media at all. But clearly a middle age mom is not her target audience. My daughter does follow her as do her teammates and I’ve noticed some similar poses and looks in some of their content, which I don’t love. I prefer those who are profiting off their talent more than their look, but again I’m clearly not who she is trying to appeal too.
Thankfully, my daughter is too young for social media stuff and seems to have a natural disinterest in it. However, as she's gotten older I see more and more tiktok/thirst trap type dancing from her team mates during practice. It's not yet an issue, but it's definitely something that we have talked to her about.

From the NYT "New Endorsements for College Athletes Resurface Old Concern: Sex Sells". Many conversations about insta-gymmies. But the fact of the matter is there is now real money to be had, life-changing money for girls who cultivate a large social media following. And without a doubt, sex sells. Obviously the article using Dunne as prime example, her social media is chock full of pouty lips, bikinis and suggestive poses (all wearing product of course). I am noticing several other gymnasts (mainly the elites) that have a decent number of followers start mimicking this. I honestly dont know how I feel about this, of course uneasy with the sexualization but at the same time, if they are working the system and just skirting what is tasteful/tasteless good to them to leverage that.
Can someone copy and paste the article so we don't have to get a subscription? Just asking.....

Olivia Dunne had a pretty big following prior to the rule changes. I know that basically every male in my daughters high school follows her and it’s not for her athletic ability.

She does photoshop her pictures, there are things all over TikTok about it my daughter showed me, which I find just sad. While I do not agree with her content she is making a living off it so how can you fault her. Her content has very little to do with being an athlete in my opinion, rather it’s about being blond and pretty.

Her most recent post. Serious photoshop fail honestly look at how thin she has made herself. If you zoom in around her waist you can see the distortion in the house siding showing photo is manipulated. So I have a problem with this message and am glad my daughter has unfollowed her - ugh but my 22 year old son liked it

Attachments

• 03637D8B-EA01-495A-A993-4C456AC7B8F6.png
    03637D8B-EA01-495A-A993-4C456AC7B8F6.png
    577.4 KB · Views: 149
Can someone copy and paste the article so we don't have to get a subscription? Just asking.....
Generally a no-no but I will give you summary:
- Olivia Dunne is making 2 mill/year with her instagram/tiktok following
- Many of her posts are highly sexualized which Dunne finds empowering
- Several other women athletes including Suni Lee are following same trend and making significant sums of money.
- One study of athletes trying to make Rio 2016, many college athletes felt pressure to post suggestive or sexy picture of themselves. Study noted that athletes felt it was the primary way to increase their followers and earning power.
- Majority of the most successful
- Several "old-school" athletes who are current women coaches (quoted Stanford womens bball coach) feel that it ruins the gains for equitable treatment in womens sports
- There are a few athletes who are not sexualizing their accounts and showing some success in the NIL space. But even those said those who refuse to participate in social media are losing out on the biggest profits.
- Either way, even if you try not to sexualize your platform, one has to be prepared for the chaos that is social media with people sexualizing you even in a puffer jacket and sweat pants, or smirky comments.

Thankfully, my daughter is too young for social media stuff and seems to have a natural disinterest in it. However, as she's gotten older I see more and more tiktok/thirst trap type dancing from her team mates during practice. It's not yet an issue, but it's definitely something that we have talked to her about.
My daughter is almost 15 and is in a group with 13-16 year olds. She doesn't post these things herself (as far as I know!), but I know the older ones in the group are definitely getting there. I remember hearing about Olivia several years ago and I was already pretty surprised with some of what she was posting back then and she was maybe 17. It just felt kind of wrong to me. But I mean yeah, she's raking in the money now that nil allows that, so good for her I guess. I just wish that she could be more of a role model for her gymnastics (which she really is a good gymnast too).

It is definitely disappointing how our world is. I was really excited when the NIL numbers started coming out and female athletes were leading in the numbers game. But my husband immediately pointed out that it's because they're hot and people like that. I am so glad there are opportunities for them to make money but I do wish things could be different. I don't even have a solution, just a sigh.

I don't have any issues with adult women embracing their sexuality, and making money off of it. Someone like Olivia clearly works hard and has the talent to get as far as she has gotten - it's just an added bonus that she's gorgeous and able to capitalize on that. Although I do think that it gets old really fast when someone posts 99% thirst traps and nothing else of substance.

What does bother me is the aggressive photoshopping/filtering and the perpetuation of unrealistic beauty standards. When scores of women, including someone as fit and attractive as Olivia, feel the need to heavily alter their appearance, it's a clear indication that something is wrong with our society and what we value.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back