To switch gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Chalkbucket!
I moved away from my beloved gym last March. I found a gym to work at in June, but I don't like it. I want more responsibility, and more control. I don't think the girls are at the levels they should be at (most were moved up before they were ready). I still enjoy teaching gymnastics very much, but I wish I had a little more say in what I teach. Example: Level 7s are not allowed to start training giants until after the competitive season. I like the girls, but have not become as attached to them as I have at other gyms (although they have to me). I only sort of like my boss and co-workers. It is hard coming in being the new coach and having to learn the way things are done. This gym is just completely different than what I'm used to. I've been wondering about switching to coach somewhere else. In a couple months we'll be moving closer to my husband's new job, which will put me 45 minutes away from this gym. I'd like to find one closer. What I don't want is to be known as someone who isn't very dependable. I was coaching in a different state until I started working at this gym, so I'm just getting to know everyone. One way I did think might make it easier is saying that I need to leave because of my pregnancy. It sort of creates a natural break. Then when I'm ready to work again, I'll just choose a gym that is closer.

I think that's a good idea, to leave because of your pregnancy and find a gym closer to your new home. You don't want to be working someplace where you don't feel comfortable or in control. I understand that you'll have to do a bit of adapting anywhere you go, but it should feel like a good fit for you. Maybe find a few gyms in the area around your new home and get in for a trial with each of them. You need to be happy with the gym just as much as your employers need to be happy with you.

I have to say that if you don't feel that this gym is a good fit for you, then leave. There is nothing worse than working somewhere that you don't feel comfortable. And if you can't coach those kids the way you are used to and don't have enough control, then you aren't going to be happy. Your pregnancy provides you an "out". I would start looking now for something, or have you considered starting your own gym? That way you can be your own boss.:)

Get out. I've worked at a gym that does not fit my coaching philosophy at all for the past 2 years and I constantly find myself doing things as a coach I told myself I never would. It's frustrating to have to constantly go against your better judgement to please the higher ups and really takes a toll on you and your ability to progress as the kind of coach you want to be.
Respectfully let them know that because of the pregnancy, moving, and shortly becoming a new mom you need to make some changes. I'm sure they will understand why you would not want to travel 45 minutes each way to work with a new baby.
On top of that, it will give you some time to prepare for the baby and the move and really think about what you want when you do start coaching again. Best wishes!

Thank you all for your responses! The girls will be sad to see me go, but overall, I think it will be the right move.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back