Parents Toe Cramps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
So DD has some foot issues- or so we have discovered over the last 6 months... she has a very low arch/flat feet, for which we discovered after taking her to an orthopedic and PT due to foot pain (heel and arch) and possible Sever's. She was given exercises to do.... but if I am honest, she isn't good about doing them. She had been wearing her x-brace religiously though, up until more recently. She also had a strained tendon in her foot not that long ago either...

Anyways, for the last week she has been complaining of toe cramps. Very painful, usually in one foot - her 'main' foot, if that makes sense (when vaulting, etc.). Tonight she was in tears. It comes and goes throughout the day. She hasn't sat out in practice and has been dealing with it.

I've researched possible causes which included 'shortened' or tightened/overworked calves, short Achilles (which I think she has due to the flatter feet - I recall PT/Ortho mentioning it). I have suggested she try the exercises the PT gave her again - the toe raises (toe-ups), and then setting out a washcloth and dragging it back with her toes. That was specifically to address the Achilles if I recall. She says it hurts too much and doesn't want to. I gave her a bit of a tough love reminder that the PT stated it was something like brushing her teeth, that she just needed to do.

Not looking for medical advice per se... but looking for other parent's whose kiddos have had similar issues? It seems it might be a common problem for dancers/ballet (pointe) kiddos? And what types of things at home she can do for some relief, as it appears foot issues are going to be ongoing with this gymmie.... I don't think this is anything serious, so hoping some others may have some insight?

You might want to try the X brace arch support if she has flat feet because it will help support her arches while working out barefoot. Shoes with good arch support are usually suggested too. When the foot arch is compromised it can cause a variety of lower leg and foot issues. It seems to me most people with tight Achilles and calves tend to have trouble flattening their feet though but when people have flat feet and you look at their Achilles from the back you will usually see them curving in instead of being straight. I would also recommend a PT that is familiar with gymnastics.

http://www.shiftmovementscience.com...ics-why-it-may-be-a-concern-and-tips-to-help/

Check out this article, it sounds like the caving in causes asymmetrical strain on inside of the Achilles.

SUPER HELPFUL!! Thank you!!! She NEEDS to do the exercises the PT gave her...that's all there is to it. (MOM was right!!!) And it explains an issue she had with her hip alignment a few months ago too- pelvis was out of place. I had a feeling it was ALL related.... Thanks again!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back