Parents Too many hours (gymnastics) / switch sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nutrition is huge.

My kid is in elementary school so no -/+ system for her yet - I took many classes in college recently, some had a +/- system and some were straight letter grades. Not going to lie, I searched ratemyprofessor and picked certain classes based on the grading system if I wasn’t certain I was going to hit over 95% (looking at you research statistics). Definitely an unnecessary way to make kids neurotic especially in high pressure tracks where a 4.0 is the expected norm, like premed

I agree. It is so much. Really, is there a difference between a 94 and a 95? And sometimes, it is very subjective.

I agree. It is so much. Really, is there a difference between a 94 and a 95? And sometimes, it is very subjective.
I'm a big fan of "check-", "check", and "check+" grading. There is way too much randomness to accurately discern a quality difference between a 95 and a 95.5.

I think it's much better to put things into buckets:
- Totally correct
- Mostly correct, but errors
- A lot of errors but solid effort
- Poor effort

I'm a big fan of "check-", "check", and "check+" grading. There is way too much randomness to accurately discern a quality difference between a 95 and a 95.5.

I think it's much better to put things into buckets:
- Totally correct
- Mostly correct, but errors
- A lot of errors but solid effort
- Poor effort

And I am a big fan of classes that are more about teaching and learning the content than about a grade.

I'm a professor at a top Ivy, so I see a lot of those kids. Generally, they're all wasting their time -- they could spend half as much time and the quality of their work would drop 1%. Efficiency matters. At some point I'll figure out how to convince them of this fact, and I will have succeeded as an educator.

I've experimented with this concept a lot, because wasting time really bothers me. Some years I'll book a room all day and then give my students an exam without a time limit. Most kids will stay a couple hours, with some sitting there for up to six hours. Other years I'll give them effectively the same exam but only give them 90 minutes to finish it.

With infinite time the exams look better in that they're neater and better written, but the scores are nearly identical. It's a total waste of time but they never believe me.
I went to a top Ivy and would have killed to have had anyone tell me this. I may not have believed it and may always been the kid sitting in the room for 6 hours, but it would have at least given me pause for a bit...I hope you achieve your education mission. You'll be saving so many people so many hours of therapy.

I woud try to get to the bottom of whether she still wants to compete but at lower hours or if she wants to quit. If she wants lower hours, I would look for other options - xcel, different gym. I think you have two daughters at different levels, right? That makes it a little more complicated if you are considering switching gyms but you have to find what is best for each of them, similar to if they were in separate sports
It is very difficult to drive half hour to another gym with less training hours, I feel I might get stressed out for long driving . The Reality is harsh. Either switch sports , or continue stay.

It is very difficult to drive half hour to another gym with less training hours, I feel I might get stressed out for long driving . The Reality is harsh. Either switch sports , or continue stay.
I wouldn't expect to get any sympathy if you're unwilling to drive an extra half hour for your kid's mental health and happiness.

I'm tapping out of this thread, and all future threads by the OP.

I wouldn't expect to get any sympathy if you're unwilling to drive an extra half hour for your kid's mental health and happiness.

I'm tapping out of this thread, and all future threads by the OP.
I am thinking about skipping one practice a week , though coach might not happy . Maybe it will work. The training hours of other gyms conflicts with my old one . It is complicated with two kids. Not just driving

Driving vs what might be best for your kid??? Umm ok

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back