WAG Too many injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had a shoulder injury a few years ago but it was resolved. A while later I had ongoing knee problems that led to surgery and I came back to gym in Feburary. I am still getting my skills back but my old shoulder injury has been flaring up to the point where I have missed a week of practice. I love the sport but I don’t want to go through another injury. I don’t know if I should quit or not????

Only you can decide that. My daughter had ongoing back to back injury which started at Level 9 and all throughout the 5 years she was at Level. She made the decision to quit the end of her first year as a Level 10 after several minor injuries in Level 9, spraining her ankle right after her first Level 10 meet. She was in a boot for 6 weeks, worked real hard to get her skills back and then partially dislocated her elbow the last practice before states. Then she worked her way back again during the summer, had achilles tendonitis and sprained her ankle again. She really wanted to be done. Her dad and her coach told her to stick it out a little bit more.

Four years later, two ankle surgeries, a concussion, fractured her calcaneus bone, more ankle fractures, and several other somewhat minor injuries, i.e., achilles tendonitis, patellar tendonitis, various pulled muscles, constant ankle pain, she’s still in the sport and will be competing at an Ivy (D1)gymnastics team. If you ask her, she has no regrets sticking it out. I’m just hoping her luck will change in college with better facilities, medical team and more experience coaching.

I wish I could offer you some advice. But you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons and what matters to you. Either way, there is a whole world out there outside of gymnastics. Good luck.

Only you can decide that. My daughter had ongoing back to back injury which started at Level 9 and all throughout the 5 years she was at Level. She made the decision to quit the end of her first year as a Level 10 after several minor injuries in Level 9, spraining her ankle right after her first Level 10 meet. She was in a boot for 6 weeks, worked real hard to get her skills back and then partially dislocated her elbow the last practice before states. Then she worked her way back again during the summer, had achilles tendonitis and sprained her ankle again. She really wanted to be done. Her dad and her coach told her to stick it out a little bit more.

Four years later, two ankle surgeries, a concussion, fractured her calcaneus bone, more ankle fractures, and several other somewhat minor injuries, i.e., achilles tendonitis, patellar tendonitis, various pulled muscles, constant ankle pain, she’s still in the sport and will be competing at an Ivy (D1)gymnastics team. If you ask her, she has no regrets sticking it out. I’m just hoping her luck will change in college with better facilities, medical team and more experience coaching.

I wish I could offer you some advice. But you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons and what matters to you. Either way, there is a whole world out there outside of gymnastics. Good luck.
Wow what a lot of injuries and yes, I definitely have to think about this. Thank you for the kind response

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back