Too much practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Just briefly for those who dont know. My dd is a 5 yr old L2.

They have a meet the 7th~9th of Jan., then again 3 wks later 28th~30th. (she has one more more in March then her season is over)

Thy physical gym itself follows the local school schedules. If the schools are closed for holidays or weather, so are they.

We, the coaches have been coming in all week this week (8am to noon) and will on the 28th and 29th next week just for team girls. So they can get as much practice in as possible before these meets in Jan.

Well, they encouraged (didnt by no means require it) that they come as often as they can to practice.

Kadee just being 5 yr old L2, only "normaly" practices 2 hrs a day, one day a week. 2 hrs a week total is all she does. These practices are 4 hrs each day.

Well, I didnt have her go monday or tuesday but she went today (wednesday is her normal gym day). She went at 8 am. I told her that if she got tired and wanted to come home, after 2 hrs (her normal time) to have her coach call me. Well, she didnt call, and seemed "okay" when I got her. The HC said she did great, never complained, never acted tired or upset. Then her HC asked her if she was coming back tomorrow. Kadee asked her HC if she thought she needed to, and the HC told her that they would love to have her, and that she could get in all the practice she wanted.
Well knowing my daughter like i do, i know the reason she answered a question (are you coming back tomorrow) with a question (do you think i need to) that she is battling inside herself on what she wants and what she feels like she "needs" to do.
When she got in the van she said she guessed she could go back tomorrow, but not for 4 hrs. That it was too much. That she had a headache and her arms and legs felt like cook pasta (limp im guessing..lol). She said 2 hrs each day (today and tomorrow) would have been the best way to go.
Im not sending her for 4 hrs tomorrow. For many reasons. What it did to her physicaly, what it could do to her mentaly in the long run, ect. But im thinking about not sending her at all. I mean she has already put in twice the amount of practice this week. And then next week if we do the two hours for two days. (spread it out a bit), she is again getting double practice time.
I mean she wasnt perfect at her first meet but she got 4th AA out of 19 kids in her level..the very first meet the kids has ever been in. And she did that on 2 hrs a week. And the two weeks before this upcoming meet she will be putting in 4 hrs a week. I think more is just too much. I mean if i had sent her everyday this week. That would have been 16 hrs.
I dont know..she says she will go tomorrow. And seems okay with it, but I feel deep down that she is agreeing to go because she feels like thats what her HC wants her to do. And today, even though she had a headache and was tired she wouldnt have told them that. She just doesnt...she doesnt complain. She just deals with it and moves on (this is her old soul kicking in).
If she goes at all, it will be for just 2 hrs. And for the second half of that 4 hr shift (10-12). Poor baby has bee sleeping in till 9 am each morning since school got out for the holidays. Her little body is still adjusting to going to school all day and gym after school one day a week. I think its trying to catch up on sleep (she goes to bed at 8pm each night). I dont want to wake her up if i really dont have to either. I mean, she is a very active, go get her kinda gal. So if she is sleeping in, in the mornings, its because she needs to.
Anyway, if she does go, it will be just for 2 hr (10-12). Then next week, she will go on the 29th for her normal 2 hrs, and see from there if she feels like going the next day for another 2 hrs.
I know she is ready to go tomorrow. She layed out her leo with her clothes for tomorrow. But I just dont want her to do it because she feels like she has to.
What should I do about tomorrow. Send her for the 2 hrs (i refuse to send her for another 4 hr day..i just feel she is too young for that) or just keep her home? She still has to find something for her Daddy for Christmas, so she could always shop..lol.
Her coaches will not be upset with her by any means. They just wanted her to be there for her normal practice which was 2 hrs on wed. She doubled that. So they arent going to be upset with her. I just know they are coming in and working when the rest of the gym is shut down, just so these girls can get all the practice they can in. (they are not charging anything extra for all this extra practice..they are really doing it for the kids)
What should I do? Keep her home, or send her for 2 hrs? The next week..send her for her normal 2 hr one day session, or grab and extra one and only do 2 hrs that day too. Again doubling her practice time, but spreading it out a little better.
Anyone else think 4 hrs straight is a bit much for a 5 yr old?

I think sending her for 2hrs tomorrow would be fine could you possibly even come along and watch her and see that if she is tired after an hour or so to take her home and then next week do the normal 2 hrs and none on the next day or only 1 hr on the next day if she feels up to it? :)

I feel like you might already know the answer to this one. :) I have a 5 year old too and she goes 3 hours/week (1.5 hours 2x/week). While all kids are different I know that 4 hours would be WAY too much for her. She would more than likely be able to complete the 4 hours if I put there for that long but I know it would exhaust her, especially if she was only used to half that amount of time.

If you think she might only be going because she thinks her coach wants her to, maybe tell her that her coach said she doesn't have to go and that it's completely up to her...that she can stay at home or shop, or whatever, if that's what she wants to do and no one would be the least bit upset with her...and that everyone is already so proud that she practiced for 4 hours. Then maybe she might realize that if she chooses to go, it's because SHE wants to go, not because her coach does.

HOWEVER, that said, you are the parent and if you for a second think it's too much for her little body then keep her home. It doesn't sound like it's an issue with the coach either way. ..and then maybe next week try the 2 hours 2x/week and see how that goes.

To answer your last question, yes, I think 4 hours is too much for MOST 5 year olds. :)

i will never, in this life or in my next reincarnated as a chalk stand, wrap my mind around 5 year olds competing in anything. to much, to much, to much!:eek:

our beautiful sport has gone mad in the USA...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO your DD probably won't benefit from any more training for at least a few days anyway.
I think I'd probably take the choice out of her hands (as much so she doesn't feel guilty as to prevent her making the wrong choice) and tell her that mommy has decided there are other important things to do so you've had to change your mind about the possibility.
To stop her worrying about HC's reaction I'd also tell her I've already spoken to HC, and HC is perfectly happy and congratulated her again on a fine effort today/yesterday.

Don't send her again tomorrow, she has done 4 hours and is not used to it, her muscles will be very fatigued. If she goes to training again she will be at serious risk of sustaining and injury. It will do her no good in the competition if that happens. Her little body needs some time to recover.

I would leave it for the rest of the week and then take her on the two days next week for 2-2 1/2 hours each day.

You need to look at the big picture here...she's 5 years old and Level 2 ...with that said, I would not send her for any 4 hour practice and I would keep her home.

I think we'll all validate what you want to do--keep her home or, at most, send her for one more 2 hrs practice. The coaches won't be upset, she doesn't want to do--what's the problem :)?

She is only 5yo and at the start of team gymnastics at L2. You know the answer already. I wouldn't do the extra practices. It really isn't necessary at that age and at that level. If it isn't FUN they she will loose interest. Keep it fun!!! Go out for a mom and me day instead.

I wouldn't do the extra practice tomorrow either. Not only is she so young...but she was EXHAUSTED after the 4 hr. practice. Keep her home, bake cookies, go shopping, see a movie. As for next week, I'd only send her for 1 extra, 2 hour practice ONLY if she really wants to go and is missing it. Once again.... it really needs to be fun for her now for her to want to keep doing it in the future!

I'd skip tomorrow's practice too. In addition to the fact that she was exhausted after yesterday's practice, it's Christmas Eve and she should have the day off. I think the major thing here is that she is not used to these long practices. It definitely takes awhile for them to get used to practicing so long. One extra two hour practice next week should be more than enough as well.

4 hours for L2-that is CRAZY! Even though they "compete" Level 2 is still a very recreational level. I see nothing wrong with giving the gym a call and saying she'll be in for the last 2 hours.... I dont even think you need to say why....Im sure they will figure it out. If they ask, just say even though she didn't complain, 4 hours was too long for her.

When our preteam moves to L4 in the summer, we start their workouts at 2 hours for 2 weeks, then move to 3 hours for the next 2 weeks, then finally to 4 hours in August. When we move into the school year- their practices are 3 1/2 hours. By building up the time they get to adjust and no one gets overwhelmed.

A 4-hour practice with no break in the middle seems to me to be a bit much for any age/level -- let alone for a 5-year-old level 2. Even with my older and higher-level athletes, there's definitely a visible dropoff around 3 hours; they're just too mentally and physically tired.

Now, many elites (and even sub-elites when they go to camps like woodward, etc) practice a good deal more than 4 hours a day, but this generally isn't a continuous 4+ hour workout -- it's punctuated by breaks to eat and rest.

Its interesting the different schools of thought. For me, 4 hours is too long for a 5 year old. Having said that, at Js gym, the L3 girls practice 3/hrs a day x3 days a week so 9 hrs a week. There are some 4 year olds doing that!! Boggles my mind. The majority are 5 with a few 6 year olds mixed in.

I think its perfectly fine to have her stay home and play. Next week I would definitely have her go 2 hrs instead of 4.

Thank you everyone.
Megley the tomorrow practice mentioned in the post is actually today. (the post was orginaly started last night). She got up and was chomping at the bit to go today. I did make her wait until 10, so she only went for 2 hrs. Im fixing to head over there to get her. She wanted to go all 4 hrs today, she said she only said that yesterday because she was tired and wore out. And I told her that I didnt want a repeat of yesterday. I NEVER want her leaving the gym "dreading" the next practice, even if it is fleating. Her coaches were happy to see her when she got there, and I explained to them that 4hrs the day before was just too much for her. They told her to make sure from then on that if something is too much or she is scared or upset to tell them, so they can change their tactics with her, and they can work through it together, that all they can go by is how she acts and what she says. If she is acting fine and not saying anything, they assume she is fine...its up to her to let them know different. That they wont be mad or upset with her, and that she can come to them with anything that bothers her. So hopefully from now on she remembers this, and talks to them about her "issues". I know a while back she was having fears on beam with her frontwards roll. She never said anything to them in practice and would do it when asked. But would come home and talk about not wanting to do it. I actually said something to her HC..just asking if she had said anythign to them about being afraid of her frontwards roll on beam. She said no, she hadnt, but, that a couple weeks before that Kadee had fell off the beam (head first) doing one, and the HC caught her by the leg. She didnt get hurt, got back on and kept going, but that must have been the moment that fear set in. Anyway, once the coach knew she had the fear, she was right beside her (instead of a few steps away) so if it happened again she didnt have to make a hasty grab for anything you can get ahold of kinda catch. So for a couple weeks after she knew, she made sure to be right by her, and slowly worked her way back to a few feet away so she can "view" all the beams at once again. Kadee got her confidence back and no longer fears beam. But if I hadnt said anything Kadee would have just kept her mouth shut and not said a word. Its just who she is, I really hope she learns to voice her concerns. Shes jsut so afraid of someone thinking she is complaining.

editing to add..they did have a 20 min snack break. with her 2 hrs practice they dont have a break, but this 4 hr one they did

I hear what everyone has said, and I am trying to remember what DD's gym path was a few years ago. As a 4 yo she was in the gym for 9hrs and a level 4, as a 5 yo she was in the gym for 16 hrs. and a level 5. She is currently training level 5 and will compete in her first meet on her birthday. She will be seven.
As a level 4, I didn't worry much because she was with other little ones just like her and she had the most geniune, loving, and nurturing coach. Now as a level 5, she wouldn't have it any other way. Gym to her is so much fun. She is giving me a hard time with the car pool,; she wants her Daddy to pick her up and not me. What?! Daddy has been working a lot lately.
The point I am trying to make is that some kids are different. My DD loves being in the gym. On Fridays, she even begs to stay at open gym with her friends for an extra 2 hrs. of gym. I never let her because I am afraid she may get hurt.
When she first started level 5, I told the coaches to monitor whether it was too much for her or not. I monitored myself. Kid left for gym with a huge smile and I picked her up with a smile. She was also in full day Pre-K and full day Kindergarten.
You know your DD better than anyone. Take your lead from her. If she laid out her clothes she may really want to go. At 5 yo, isn't she on the go all the time any ways? Mine was and still is. She comes home from her 4 hrs. practice and is still flipping every where. She walks on her hands every where.
BTW, elite- fast tracking is not a mentality at DD's gym. They do what they do with the idea of not burning out the gymnast. It works; I was told by an optional parent that they have 21 level 10's this year. That is huge!

Deanna, thanks for clarifying that. I thought it was pretty hardcore to be having practice on Friday!

Chalk my dd up as another who was doing 9 hours a week at age 4 and 12 at age 5. That's just the way the program worked and she wasn't the only little one. I honestly did not even think anything about it at the time. I think the thing was, though, that she built up to it. She did not just hop from one two hour practice a week into 9 hours a week. It was gradual. Even so, she had a hard time adjusting to full time kindergarten and 12 hours of gym (4 hr practices). I know I had folks on this site tell me I was nuts to have my 6/7 year old going 16 hours a week, but it's what the gym required for Level 5 and it didn't seem like that big a jump from 12 hours.

DD goes 20 hours a week now and started that over the summer at age 8 (turned 9 this past fall). My kid is not like lilgymmie7's though. 20 hours a week is plenty for her and there is no begging to go more hours, though she does like to do handstands and practice all of her teammates' floor routines at home. She seems to handle the hours pretty well, still gets straight As in school and has time to hang out with her friends. At this juncture, any cut in hours would probably leave me with a kid who is climbing the walls!

Megley, DD is the last of three kids so she probably has all this energy as a means to catch up with her siblings. She loves to have play dates with her friends too, but most are with her gym friends. She had one a couple of days ago with her buddy from school and they spent two hrs. literally running circles in the family room and flipping around. I thought her friend was going to break in two; he isn't a gymnast. He however is tireless too!
Deanna, some little ones need the time in gym to burn off steam. Otherwise like Megley said they ( or us!) would climb the walls! But again, you know your DD best.
DD does have practice on Friday- Christmas Eve! This I can do without!! But, they do Secret Santa at DD's gym and their party is the last hr. of practice. However, if I remember correctly, last year their party lasted the whole practice. So it will be fun for DD.

Megley, DD is the last of three kids so she probably has all this energy as a means to catch up with her siblings. She loves to have play dates with her friends too, but most are with her gym friends.

LOL! Well that cannot be the distinguishing factor as mine is also last of three. She must just be less energetic! I will say that most of her playdates happen to be with her best friend who is not only in her class at school but also a gym friend. We just got lucky on that one. They see a lot of each other, needless to say.

I'm sure your dd will have loads of fun tomorrow at the gym party!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back