Parents Too old ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter (13) has been at the same gym since she began at 9.
She has been in the intermediate classes for 2 years. Last year they said they were not inviting her on team due to her age and she would be older.
Her gym/owner has rules of inviting to team by age, skills, and you will place at meets. But said told us it was because of her age alone her wasn’t being invited.
My daughter has been mastering the skills and has acquired more since competing on her middle school team.
Her tryouts for team invite are in June but if she was too old last year - then what could change this year?
Example of things she can do:
Handstand
Handstand 1/4 turn dismount
Half turn
Backhip circle with spot on
Front handspring on vault

We have been doing private practice to get the backhand spring.

She will be trying out at Silver skills in June if we go ahead with it. But I was thinking I’d looking at another gym that her friend goes to.
Thoughts and/experience with this situation?

I would definitely check out other gyms. If they said that she was too old last year, I don't think that they would accept her this year. Hopefully you will find a good fit at another gym.

I would definitely check out other gyms. If they said that she was too old last year, I don't think that they would accept her this year. Hopefully you will find a good fit at another gym.

Agree. We were talking this morning and while it is hard to say goodbye but if she isn't advancing and/or not being taught how to advance then we are at a standstill and need to move forward.

Agree. We were talking this morning and while it is hard to say goodbye but if she isn't advancing and/or not being taught how to advance then we are at a standstill and need to move forward.
I know how difficult that can be. My dd left her first gym after being there for 5 years because it was not the right fit for her any longer even though she still liked the gym and coaches. The first few practices at the new gym were a little tough but she got to know the girls and coaches and is very happy there.

This gym has made it clear that in their opinion she is too old.

Time to find a different gym.

Given her age, let your dd decide if she wants to stay in the gym and remain in rec with privates and competing on the MS team or if she wants to join a competitive team. But yes, you will need to move gyms if she wants team. Even if current gym allows her to try out, I doubt the environment will be a positive one since they already have stated their thoughts on it.

These posts about Xcel programs not taking "older" girls who are 10-13 or so are making me really sad. I know every gym is different, but I thought the idea behind the program was to provide a path for kids who want to compete but might not fit in the DP model for whatever reason. If a kid starts late but is willing to work hard and develop the skills, I'd hope there was a place in gymnastics for that child to compete. Gymnastics is such an amazing sport and I'd like to think there is room in competition for more than just the little phenoms who start at an early age.

These posts about Xcel programs not taking "older" girls who are 10-13 or so are making me really sad. I know every gym is different, but I thought the idea behind the program was to provide a path for kids who want to compete but might not fit in the DP model for whatever reason. If a kid starts late but is willing to work hard and develop the skills, I'd hope there was a place in gymnastics for that child to compete. Gymnastics is such an amazing sport and I'd like to think there is room in competition for more than just the little phenoms who start at an early age.
Some gyms use Xcel in place of levels 2-5 so they may only take girls that they feel should be on the DP path.

There are definitely gyms that don't have these age restrictions. We had 6 silvers this year who were 13-15. I would encourage you to look into this.
Agreed, we competed Bronze against several teams that had older girls. Some gyms seemed to only have older girls and I wondered if they used xcel for the older ones and a compulsory track for girls that started younger.

I hate hearing stuff like this! I agree, they've made their philosophy clear -- don't put yourself/your daughter through potential rejection. It sounds like her skills are definitely acceptable for bronze, probably even silver. Find a new gym! Best of luck to you. :)

Find an Acro gym!!!! IDK where you are located but I can help. I hate hearing about all these artistic teams that don't want kids who are too old, too big, too whatever. Acro is a GREAT place for kids that don't fit the artistic mold.

These posts about Xcel programs not taking "older" girls who are 10-13 or so are making me really sad. I know every gym is different, but I thought the idea behind the program was to provide a path for kids who want to compete but might not fit in the DP model for whatever reason. If a kid starts late but is willing to work hard and develop the skills, I'd hope there was a place in gymnastics for that child to compete. Gymnastics is such an amazing sport and I'd like to think there is room in competition for more than just the little phenoms who start at an early

My daughter (13) has been at the same gym since she began at 9.
She has been in the intermediate classes for 2 years. Last year they said they were not inviting her on team due to her age and she would be older.
Her gym/owner has rules of inviting to team by age, skills, and you will place at meets. But said told us it was because of her age alone her wasn’t being invited.
My daughter has been mastering the skills and has acquired more since competing on her middle school team.
Her tryouts for team invite are in June but if she was too old last year - then what could change this year?
Example of things she can do:
Handstand
Handstand 1/4 turn dismount
Half turn
Backhip circle with spot on
Front handspring on vault

We have been doing private practice to get the backhand spring.

She will be trying out at Silver skills in June if we go ahead with it. But I was thinking I’d looking at another gym that her friend goes to.
Thoughts and/experience with this situation?
UPDATE : SHE IS MOVING GYMS
We ended up checking out her friends gym and she tried out for team. They said she can be XCEL Silver! I emailed her gym today as today would be the last day. They did ask why I explained the new gym and it was truly a hard decision but it works out for us. They did seem kinda surprised but did not try to keep her from not leaving (not even sure if some due) but I would think if they saw a plan/future for her then they would have said something. idk.
Either way she is moving beginning on next Tuesday. It was a good decision and they are starting with her on a good foundation already. We are excited to see how much she will grow now.
Thank you all for your suggestions/experience!

Awesome news! I hope she loves her new gym. Will she be training this summer? If so, she'll probably pick up a ton of new skills prior to the next competitive season. Have fun!!

Awesome news! I hope she loves her new gym. Will she be training this summer? If so, she'll probably pick up a ton of new skills prior to the next competitive season. Have fun!!
She is going to begin training so. They said she she is close to Gold. Are you allowed to move (providing she gets the skills mastered) to move levels without competing the first one? This will be a new world for us now.

She is going to begin training so. They said she she is close to Gold. Are you allowed to move (providing she gets the skills mastered) to move levels without competing the first one? This will be a new world for us now.
I'm not totally sure. I saw someone comment on another post about needing to score out of Xcel levels, but my daugher skipped Bronze and never had to score out...so perhaps someone can enlighten both of us! For what it's worth, mine is moving to Gold after one season on Silver. To move up, our gym requires an average score of 36 or above and a kip, back walkover on beam, roundoff backhandspring and front tuck in order to move from Silver to Gold. But I know this is their policy so I don't know what the "official" rules are. Also, our gym uses Xcel in place of levels 1-5 so that may impact how they decide these things.

Either way, I'm happy for your daugher and your mama heart. :)

According to the usag mobility chart on page labeled 49, the gymnast needs to achieve a 31AA in silver to move to gold. There are no pre-requisite score requirements for bronze and silver.
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2021/2021_2022_w_rulespolicies.pdf

Glad to hear that they accepted her to their team!

You have to compete at least one meet as silver and score at least a 31 all around score before competing gold :). It is possible to do one meet at silver then turn around and compete gold even the same weekend but that’s up to the gym!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back