Too tall for bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cinzia Hooyer

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I just started gymnastics again after two years and in that time I had a growth spurt. I am now 5,7 and when I swing on the high bar my toes touch the ground. The bars can't go any higher. Does anyone have suggestions on how to swing without my feet touching the ground??

No, I touched the floor forever and our bars could go higher but because I'm the only tall one my coach wouldn't. I'm 5'9".

At comps you can get permission for them to go higher just depends what kind of bars they have

Wait, your coach won't let you go higher OR the bar itself won't go higher? Cause I'm 5'5 and our bar setting is plenty high, even for someone two inches taller. (My sister is 5'6 and can swing just fine)

Either way, I would suggest working on your tap swing form then. In the back swing really go into that hollow, peering down at your toes, chest in, back rounded. When coming into the front swing if you tap properly (back arched) quickly to your front hollow shape your toes should miss the ground.

It's all about timing and shape ;3

And if you can reach the bars while standing still on the ground (without jumping to reach) then it is waaaay to short for you and completely dangerous. And if they are not willing to make the accommodations for you because they won't or can't you need to stay away and find a new gym or opt out of high bar. Suggest doing things on pit bar?

Same for me because I am the tallest in my group and the high bar is set for he average height. I am not that tall though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back