Too Tall for Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kids are all tall too, and of the 2 of them that do gymnastics, they both love it. DD#2 is going to give gymnastics another go starting this month. She is 11 and 5'1" with long legs and has always been 90-95% for height. She does very well with tumbling and beam, but bars can be a challenge for her to keep her legs up and straight. My youngest DD just turned 7, and she's probably about 4'3". She had been about 80% for height, but she's really taken off over the last 2 years. She grew 4.5" last year, and probably at least another 2.5" this year. She is the tallest girls in her age group on her L4 team. I say if they love it, let them do it. I know my kids probably won't be in this for the long haul. In fact, I would be surprised in they go much past L7. However, for the time being, they are enjoying it and building confidence.

On another note, there is a girl at our gym who I think just moved to L10 this year, and she is 5'9". She is awesome to watch.

Just to agree with everyone else, she isn't too tall for gymnastics. Gymnastics really helps them in so many ways. If she loves it, let her go for it. I think that regardless of natural talent, body type, etc, if a kid loves gymnastics and wants to do it, they should be able to do it. :D

I agree with everyone else - let her go with it as long as she enjoys it:)! We have an optional gymnast at our gym that is tall (I'm guessing 5'7 or 8) and she is amazing. She is very flexible and her routines look very elegant.

I don't think it is a silly problem at all! Coming from a gymnast point of view: I think you should let her go for it and see where it goes. If she is happy with her progression and her ability level, it should be no problem :)

Let us know how she does!!

My DD, who just turned six, has been taking rec gymnastics for about 6 months, and will likely begin on the Level 2 Team in January. Unlike many of the other parents who've posted, I don't think she's particularly talented, but boy does she have persistence and focus. She really wants to learn more skills, and to do them perfectly...and she LOVES gymnastics so far. She asked Santa for a beam as her big gift.

Given that she's not a natural at this sport, and that she's very tall for her age (95% percentile) I wonder if I'm not setting her up for disappointment if I encourage her interest in gymnastics, and let her begin competing. I tend to feel she can just have fun w/ this, but she's kind of intense and will not likely be happy if she doesn't progress and do well.

She also swam competetively this summer, and is probably more talented and suited for that sport. She liked it, but she really prefers gymnastics - and I don't know that we have the funds/time to do both.

Any suggestions from coaches/parents? It sounds like a silly problem, but I don't want to shortchange her or set her up for failure. Thanks for your advice!
Hey!
You just don't know how tall she's going to turn out to be. I was in the 97th percentile in height when I was 5 &6, and then by 8 I dropped to the middle-- and by 12 was in the bottom 40.
I ended up at just under 5'3", which is a totally acceptable height for a gymnast at any level. My doctor probably never would have predicted it at 6. So don't count her out just yet! I also agree with the other posters. The compulsory levels (and especially the very low levels, like L2) are just for fun. And if your daughter truly loves the sport and works hard, she'll overcome any hardships and do just fine.
Good luck!

If she is determined, her height won't stop her :)! I'm 15 and 5'4" and the tallest girl on my team but that doesn't stop me from trying hard and wanting to do my best!

And dont forget that things can change quickly.

Midget was 75th percentile for several years, and then she just stopped. Now she is 20th and dropping quickly. And she is only 7 right now.

Of course both my wife and I stopped growing early and the docs expect the same for her so who knows.

Anyway, dont let a possibility of height get in the way if she loves it.

You could be describing my 6yo. She stands at about 53 inches right now and has been off the growth charts since she was 2 weeks old. She is not the most talented gymnast but makes up for it in sheer determination. If we would let her, she would choose to be in the gym 7 days a week. I know what kind of challenges she is going to face in the future with her height (I'm very tall for a woman too), but am letting her pursue this right now. She already struggles to get some elements as quickly as her petite counterparts, but she keeps practicing on her own until she gets them. I know that she will never be a Level 10 gymnast, but that is ok with me. I will encourage her as far as she wants to go. Right now, she knows that she is taller than the rest but doesn't realize that it is sometimes working against her. I let her take a rec class too in which she is with 12 and 13 year olds (and fits right in due to her height) and that helps motivate her. In fact this last week some of the girls came to ask me if she was really six, they didn't believe her when she told them.

I started a similar thread a while ago, because my daughter is genetically predisposed to be very tall (6'1"). Her growth chart now puts her more in the 5'8" range, but regardless she will likely be taller than most gymnasts. Like some of you I have worried about devoting time, money, and love to a sport that she is not designed for (why doesn't she love basketball or volleyball!).

However, I have decided to stop worrying. She just turned 7. She LOVES gymnastics. She draws pictures and writes stories at school all about gymnastics. My favorite is of head coach shouting "tight!" with my daughter all smiles on the bars. For now dd not only loves the sport but also excels. She is very strong, and when asked coaches say she can make up for her height with her strength.

As mom I feel much better now that I have decided to give in and just accept that gymnastics is perfect for her today. Gymnastics will train her body for many future sports should she ever seek a change. For now she has learned confidence, goal setting, success, team work, grace, and hard work. I can't ask more from an activity for her. Besides she doesn't want to do anything more.

I love the CB member's signature that talks about worrying so much about what our child will become that we forget to focus on who she is today (paraphrasing I'm sure). I have taken this to heart.

Today my tall dd is a gymnast, and she is in love with the sport.

We have a lady that coaches with us every now and then. She competed through Level 9 and she's nearly 6 feet tall.
Let her enjoy it. I coach a 5'3" 10 year old who's still loving the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back