WAG Too tired for training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
I always find that after a full day of school, when I go to gymnastics after about an hour at training I get so tired and I start to lag! And I tend to do about 3 hours time so 2 of them are spent not as well as they could be because I get too tired! I also find that in the holidays And weekends I still have this problem but not quite as much!

Normally I eat lunch at 1 then I have a quick fruit snack at 4 then training starts at 5 and I eat dinner when I get home! I get about 8 hours sleep a night. Should I eat more before I go out or get more sleep?

How do I make sure that i have the energy to keep going at gymnastics?

The amount of sleep sounds pretty good. I would say that a bigger snack before might help, or even a quick one mid-practice too. Are you drinking enough water? Both throughout the day and at practice?

What are you eating for lunch?

As for snacks, a combination of fruit and protein would be good, or protein plus other carbs. So things like nuts, granola bar, yogurt, cheese, crackers along with some fruit.

The amount of sleep sounds pretty good. I would say that a bigger snack before might help, or even a quick one mid-practice too. Are you drinking enough water? Both throughout the day and at practice?

What are you eating for lunch?

As for snacks, a combination of fruit and protein would be good, or protein plus other carbs. So things like nuts, granola bar, yogurt, cheese, crackers along with some fruit.

Yes I try and drink enough water but there is always room for improvement! For lunch I normally have a brown bread sandwich with cheese and an apple and cucumber! And thank you! I will try having a bigger snack before I go!

How old are you? I know that my 13 yo DD needs more than 8 hours of sleep- consistent 9 hrs is her sweet spot. My younger (11) DD is good on about 7, except when she is growing. Then she can sleep for like 10 hrs before she is good. If you have the ability, try and get an extra hour of sleep for about a week and see if it makes a difference. It can't hurt. I also agree that you need to switch up your snack routine. You basically go 7 hours between lunch and dinner and that calls for a more substantial snack, I think.

How old are you? I know that my 13 yo DD needs more than 8 hours of sleep- consistent 9 hrs is her sweet spot. My younger (11) DD is good on about 7, except when she is growing. Then she can sleep for like 10 hrs before she is good. If you have the ability, try and get an extra hour of sleep for about a week and see if it makes a difference. It can't hurt.

I'm 16! And thanks ok! I will try

Fruit is sugar/carb, you get quick energy and crash. You need to add protein to keep you going.

I would get your iron levels checked too - very easy for them to slip under the minimum.

Hope you're feeling better soon, good luck :)

My daughter actually has a second lunch before starting gym, because she has such a fast metabolism. It consists of protein (meat of some type), carbs (rice, noodles, pasta, bread etc), and a piece of fruit. Make sure you're getting enough good fats too - the body needs fat.

Reactions: sce
A more substantial snack before practice and a small snack to eat during practice seemed to really help my son. He's much younger, but he was having similar issues.

Drinking enough water can really make a difference in your energy level. I was feeling tired in my late teens when a friend gave me "the water challenge" --> Drink more than 2 liters of water every day for more than a week. No exceptions! (In the case of a gymnast, I assume your body needs closer to 3 liters per day.) At the end of the challenge, I felt amazing. Now, I am an avid water drinker. I often hand my kids a water bottle when they seem tired or grumpy.

If adding good food and plenty of water to your diet doesn't help you with your energy level, I would second the suggestion to have your iron levels checked. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back