WAG Tooth fracture from tumbling?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of my gymnasts had to get a baby tooth canal for a fractured tooth that got infected. Apparently the dentist did not know she was a gymnast but asked the parent out of the blue when he saw the tooth. He says it happens from gymnasts who clench their jaws while tumbling and the back teeth receiving some pounding. Apparently some kids will even wear a dental guard to prevent future tooth fractures.

I've been in this sport for quite a while and have never heard of this issue before. I've also never noticed any gymnasts in all the competitions I've been to, wearing a dental guard (but, then, maybe I didn't notice because I wasn't looking for it).

Does anyone know anything more about this as an issue? Could it be so common that a pediatric dentist would immediately suspect tumbling as the culprit of a tooth fracture?

I tried to post this in the parent forum (but apparently I don't have enough creds to post there, yet :) ).

This happened to me! It was a tooth that had already been fractured and filled when I was younger (on a popcorn kernel), but the gymnastics injury re-fractured it and the root got infected. I had to have it removed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back