Parents TOPs 2013 Anyone familiar with the testing and or results phase

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom1919

Proud Parent
My daughter did TOPs testing the other day and we were told that we will find out results in a few weeks (which is fine).... I understand it is a 60/40 split as far as how the scoring breakdown goes....

I am curious though- in the past where has the cutoff generally fallen? Our coaches told us my daughter did really good- only losing 9 points out of the whole thing which would be around 93% accuracy.... just don't want to pump her up if most folks that make it are score perfect TOPs scores or a lot higher than this...

We took this video if you want to see...

<removed video>

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks! Trish

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like she did great!! But it's hard to judge the TOPs results year-over-year as the results are always dependent upon the group of girls that test in the current year. Based on anecdotal reports from other parents, it seems like there are a lot less girls testing this year. Not sure how that will impact the final results....I guess time will tell.

Good luck!

It is hard to judge from year to year. Your coach should get the calculated scores within one week of the test from whoever ran that test.. Theres a formula for adding skills and physical abilities.( I tried to add it up). Looks to me like she did great . My guess is its a yes,but since this is the last weekend to test most tests are done and in the computer ,so you should know soon

I'd like to say she'll probably make it to national testing. But it will all depend on the pool of gymnasts testing this year. There may be less testing but they also could be all very talented. So it is really hard to tell. I am assuming your daughter is testing as a 9 year old because she will be turning 9 this year. There are about 300 gymnasts that make it to national testing, 60-70 in each age group and approximately 60 make it to the A team. Good luck to your daughter.

I definitely know nothing about tops, so sorry for my answering the post! I want to know more,
so these 8 year olds are roughly what level? USAG or XCEL?
Were all the girls 8 years old, some of the girls in the group looked small (they couldn't ALL be L6 and above!). TOS is a program for exceptionally talented athletes, not everyone right? DS program FUTURE STARS is similar, but every year at the state level, there are some kids that CLEARLY should not be there.....
I assume there is a minimum age right?
is the state tops test a meet with results? Or is it more of a private thing that only a few gyms participate in?

your daughter must have been the best one there! She was great! Congratulations to her!

It is TOPS, Talent Opportunity Program. It is my understanding that it is an educational program to identify and help develop young gymnasts, ages 7-10. The program helps both the gymnast and the coaches because it offers both gymnast and coaches the opportunity to train and learn from various National Team coaches or members while training at the camp. It is most beneficial for the smaller gyms. Many national team gyms do not participate as they have sufficient experience and knowledge on how to train their own gymnasts.

The gymnasts are all currently in the USAG program. Kids are tested/evaluated on their physical abilities and basic optional skills. A couple of years ago, the testing age was from 7-11. They dropped the 11 year olds and started inviting the 8 year olds to test on the national level and attend the National TOPS Training camp. The top 7 year olds that test on the state/regional level are named into the Diamond Team and their evaluation stops there. The 8-10 year old test at the state and regional level and the top scoring gymnasts and their coaches are invited to the ranch (U.S. Olympic Training Center) in Texas to test at the national level. The top 60-70 gymnasts are named into the National TOPS Team and are invited to attend a 4-day training camp at the ranch fully paid by USAG. The next 60 or so top scoring kids are named into the B camp and are invited to a separate "B camp" but at the gymnast's expense. The skills tested are that equivalent to L8 and L9 skills. Each age group has a different set of skills they are evaluated. My experience is the most successful participants and/or those that make the team are already in old L7 and up.

The testing is ran by the USAG and is open to anyone interested. Each gym runs their own program to prepare the gymnasts for these tests. TOPS training highly benefits gymnast from all levels. So, many gyms train many of their gymnasts and allow them to test even if they have a very slight chance at making it to at least the national testing. Many claim it is also a money maker for some gyms, though that is not my experience. The USAG website has a lot more information on the program.

My daughter is 8 almost 9 so tested as a 9 year old per the TOPs rules. She is USAG Level 7 this year. This was her first time trying out for the program so we shall see. We are hopeful that she will have the opportunity to go on to the next testing of nationals. She was in a rotation with younger kids. She was the only one in her group doing age 9 skills the rest were doing age 8 skills. There were about 30 kids trying out and I guess that's how they split them up in groups. :). They were slightly younger than her yes.

Our daughter was the only one from our gym to test. Our gym is new and small so this was a new experience for all of us. Next year we may have more gymnasts participate. My daughter did level 5 last year all year and then tested out of level 6 at one meet and moved to level 7. Her passion is the meets but she wanted to give this a shot as well. She only trained for tops for about 3 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back