Tops/Elite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

ek2

I was having a discussion with a friend about tops, her dd's gym started a TOP's program several years ago, but after training the girls and taking them to testing decided just to use the conditioning/flexibility... but not go to testing. Her dd did very well this year as a level 8, 8 year old, I think she was one of the youngest.
So my question how many girls does your gym have doing TOPS? Does your gym take them to the testing?
Even if a child will not be tested for TOPS do they use the program?

I was having a discussion with a friend about tops, her dd's gym started a TOP's program several years ago, but after training the girls and taking them to testing decided just to use the conditioning/flexibility... but not go to testing. Her dd did very well this year as a level 8, 8 year old, I think she was one of the youngest.
So my question how many girls does your gym have doing TOPS? Does your gym take them to the testing?
Even if a child will not be tested for TOPS do they use the program?

DD's gym uses the TOPS program, but doesn't test. I don't think they work really hard on it either, but just base their conditioning on it. I know the other gym that we considered does hours of TOPS training per week and they do test. It seems like most gyms in our area who test spend a lot of time training TOPS, where DD's gym doesn't.

my DD's gym does not do Tops. I think they use some of the stuff in conditioning though. i would think if my DD were @ a gym that did Tops training, that I would want her to have the opportunity to test.

DD's gym does not test TOPS either. Her previous gym did not as well. I can't say that I know of very many around us that do. DD's gym however does use various "TOPS" conditioning skills daily. What is the push for TOPS anyways? TOPS seems to be brought up by many parents on CB lately. I think some parents may be blinded into thinking that TOPS is the 'end all' and it really isn't. I know a lot of great gymnasts that never went through TOPS what so ever.
I noticed that you put elite next to TOPS. TOPS really isn't a requirement for elite gymnastics. Or is it coaches? DD is naturally strong and I love to watch her conditioning at practice, but I am not sure now that I would like it if DD's gym had the TOPS program fully. This kid is built like a solid rock! If she did TOPS she would add to her already conditioned body. I think that may 'suck' the fun out of gym for her. However, every kid is different. Some gymmies love that!
So I don't know, if DD's gym conditioned with TOPS, for me and her that would be enough. The addition of competition would not make it that more glamorous for us.

... this whole issue has been beaten to death here on CB as well. If you do a search on TOPs, you'll find lots of helpful information. My own personal experience with this program at several gyms in the area has been that it's mostly a money maker for the gym. One of the top gyms in the country has always said that they'd NEVER do TOPs and that it isn't necessary since they incorporate this very conditioning into their trianing program. Almost all of their L10's receive college scholarships, they've placed girls at the National Level and even had a few vie for spots for the Olympics, so they don't NEED a TOPs program for their training. But guess what???? Now they've started TOPs!!!! Why? $$

and there are those 3 food groups once again.:) ^^^ rope, press and cast!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back