WAG TOPs Hopes Elite results - secret?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A bit of a rant. But why when meets host qualifiers do they have live scoring for every single group but the HOPEs and Elite qualifiers?

The fact that I can follow my friends L9 for year after year, but the minute it is Hopes or elite then nothing.

I have noticed this for a long time, it is as though there is some kind of rule that scores are not made public, and even when they are it is done differently.

Why do we think this is? I do have my own thoughts.

Last edited:
Hmmm, well let me try to play nice with my thoughts.

SO much secrecy. I know at the ranch many qualifiers are held over two days and kids get "do overs", so I call those fake qualifiers, because they are not held in real meet conditions with spectators and within the usual time constraints. Many gymnasts go to the ranch qualifiers at the end of the season when they have not qualified at meets in the real world, I wonder why.

Then there are these many "qualifiers" where scores are posted at the meet, but the only way those scores get out is when spectators post them on twitter or youtube etc.

I honestly think it is all about keeping elite and hopes number high to support the system. As in there are probably really only a small number of girls that really have what it takes to be Americas International Elites. The few that compete at worlds, the O's etc etc. The rest are really just fodder to support the system. TOPs camps, DIC camps are all nice money makers. The elite meets, like Classics etc , they need the numbers to have the meets, they make money of those meets. If they did not have a mass of "qualified" girls they could not have a competition. Though the outcome is relatively obvious from the outset.

It is a big machine with numbers and quotas to fill, each year the elite rules get tweaked to make the machine run more smoothly, and to feed in the right number of girls.

There are many girls training for Hopes and Elite that are beaten by regular JO girls at meets all the time. Does that make sense?

Not sure where I am going with this, but I think the secrecy surrounding qualifying makes the whole thing look a little shady.

To add, this is not hating on the gymnasts, because they work hard and are led by their coaches through the system. But it is hating on a system that leads coaches, and their gymnasts, down a path that is a bit "interesting".

Last edited:
Bog, I totally agree. The powers that be want/need a certain number gymnasts to qualify elite to supply the elite meets. I also think it can feed false hopes to many young athletes who want to go to the Olympics. It feeds money into the ranch and can make the the level of the elite look artificially big. It also creates almost a practice squad to keep the top elites on their toes.

I would love to hear Dunno's take on the secrecy.

Me too.

Did you also know that the Karolyi's actually own the ranch and that USAG pays them a massive amount of money yearly to use it? Instead of USAG using the money and building a more central, and modern, facility. I find that very bizarre too.

Me too.

Did you also know that the Karolyi's actually own the ranch and that USAG pays them a massive amount of money yearly to use it? Instead of USAG using the money and building a more central, and modern, facility. I find that very bizarre too.
I wonder if USAG has offered to buy the ranch and the Karolyi's just don't want to sell it because they know they'd get way more money the way it's working now?
Also, I feel like the Karolyi's are in control of a lot, and have a lot of pull as far as how things are run, selling the ranch, or "allowing" USAG to move it to a newer facility would relinquish a lot of their power. if that makes any sense.

That's my take on it, as an outsider anyway.

The results for the Gliders Invitational are in USAG under 2015-2016 National and Elite Competitions. They were up by Monday after the meet.

Yes they are, and that was amazing, in fact almost miraculous. But the rest....not so much. Meet in Las Vegas this weekend, live scores for all levels, except the hoards of elites and hopes. This is definitely more the norm than the way scores were handled from Gliders.

Scores should be published in the same manner for all meets, what is the big secret?

Last edited:
The ranch also keeps the gymnasts and coaches isolated and that feeds the the lack of new ideas in the elite system. USA gymnastics gets results but I think the gymnasts themselves could benefit from more exposure.

The ranch also keeps the gymnasts and coaches isolated and that feeds the the lack of new ideas in the elite system. USA gymnastics gets results but I think the gymnasts themselves could benefit from more exposure.

Considering how big the national team is you would think they would compete internationally way more. There are many meets every year and it is rare that we see the girls compete.

Agreed! Why not let the national team members compete internationally instead of just at the camps. I can see pacing the members slated for worlds but many are not on that track.

I've seen scores for pretty much every elite qualifier I've looked up? They aren't always on the live platform (which is different from not being available) but I'm not seeing the big conspiracy here, sorry.

I've seen scores for pretty much every elite qualifier I've looked up? They aren't always on the live platform (which is different from not being available) but I'm not seeing the big conspiracy here, sorry.

Did not say "big conspiracy", just odd that when the whole meet is live scored and the elite sessions are conveniently left out. You must see how odd that looks.

Last edited:
Taking off from the one meet. The elite process in the US seems ( from an outsiders prospective) very hush hush, although slightly less so than in recent years. Often results from camps are only released via social media posts from the gymnasts themselves, or occasionally their coaches.

Where have you found them? I have looked before for my favourite mini elites and can't. Can you link please? I can't even find the Gliders ones mentioned above

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back