TOPS Skills Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

My 9 year old qualified for the TOPS National Testing. She will only be competing in Level 6 this year. In addition, she literally had only a little over a month to learn the skills part of the testing. We found out she qualified mid August while on vacation. And a few days after we got back, the gym closed for a week for vacation. So her coaches started incorporating the TOPS skills and abilities training into her 5 days a week team practice session the last week in August. Then they wanted her to come in an additional day (on Saturdays) for a couple of hours doing solely TOPS for the last three weeks.

Can anyone tell me how proficient must a gymnasts be in performing the skills test in order to make it to the TOPS National Team? What level are the 9 year olds that test on the national level? Her coach tells me she can do all the required skills. But she did not tell me how well she is able to do the skills. My daughter told me she could use more weeks of practice to be more proficient. I don't know what to expect. Is her practice schedule typical? Her "ify" skills are her giants and bhs on beam. Her bhs are more solid and she can do them on high beam. But I think she is still a little scared. She is not scared of her giants but it is hit or miss sometimes.

When they told me she was going to test for TOPS. I was apprehensive because once again because of the short time they alotted for training. But my dd surprised me and qualified. But now I think the national testing is another story. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I don't know a score exactly or have experience personally to share. All I can tell you is what I heard the coach told the parents of the girls from our gym who are there at the National TOPs Testing this weekend. She said after they do their best, it all really depends on how well everyone else does there.

I hope your daughter does well and has a great time in Texas!

Don't stress about how she's going to do. It's only TOPs. The fact that she made it to the National Test with such little time to train is already a huge accomplishment in itself. It's the experience of the trip that she will take with her as a lifelong memory, and that is far more valuable in the long term than the short-term gain of scores.

Many a TOPs gymnast has dropped from the sport down the line. Many elites have never participated in the TOPs testing.

Let your DD know that no matter how she does that weekend, to make friends, have fun and take it all in.

Well it doesn't sound like she's that far off. Is she testing as a 10YO? The issues might be with consistency, and yeah, that's tough, because there will be girls testing in the 9-10YO category who already have optional competitive experience. Also, obviously if she's in the 10 YO category But not all, so I wouldn't stress, if she has the skills, then it'll just be kind of like meets, sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. Not the end of the world, the experience is good as she will see what she needs and be inspired for testing next year to see what she needs to focus on and what the opportunities are.

It does sound like she was a little rushed so of course she would be nervous. But hopefully the coaches are realistic and wouldn't let her go if they thought she was going to totally bomb it. As far as giants, if she has them then obviously there could be form issues, but giants are pretty easy technically as far as saving them or timing compared to clear hips - the clear hip portion that requires 2-3 clear hips in a row (depending on 9 or 10 YO) is harder than the giant portion (but a lower point allocation, I think).

As far as the practice schedule, 5 days a week sounds like more than enough, if you mean that. As far as the deciding at the last minute...that's a little less typical but I don't know if I'm misunderstanding. I'm not coaching TOPs but if I was I would want to start with the skill readiness about a year before they planned to test and able to do the skills at least three months or so before. But again maybe I'm misunderstanding the decisions or timeline. Either way, good luck to her!

Congratulations to your DD for making it to TOPS testing. And I second the thought about not stressing out. In the end she will be just fine! I am starting to agree with TOPS being a major stressor for our gymnasts. It sounds like a lot especially when some girls are not adequately prepared.

. I'm not coaching TOPs but if I was I would want to start with the skill readiness about a year before they planned to test and able to do the skills at least three months or so before. But again maybe I'm misunderstanding the decisions or timeline. Either way, good luck to her!

That's what I thought. Reading Chalkbucket, it appears training for TOPS at some gyms start a year before. My daughter will be testing as a 9 year old. That's interesting how you indicated the free hip was a little more difficult than a giant because she got her giant before she got her free hip. She is however now more proficient in her free hips. Oh, well, we'll just have to see how things turn out.

Of course, I'd love for her to make it to the National Team but more importantly, I believe my daughter would LOVE it even more. Her gym made such a big deal about the trip. She got scores of cards from teamates, new leos, gym bag, treats, shirts, etc. And inspite of what I've told her and assured her, she does not want to let them down.

Anyway, I got a little tunnel vision, zoning in on her just making the team. But thank you to all the posters for getting me out of that zone and reminding me of all the other benefits. :)

Just wanted to wish your dd good luck! Don't stress about it. She will do how she will do and she should be proud in any event, whether she makes a team or not. I do believe if she makes B Team, you will have to pay to go to the camp. You might pm Iggy1988 about it. His daughter tested last year as a 9yo and made B Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy is in Texas right now with his wife Jen. DO PM them they are wonderful people and very down to earth, they know a ton about the process and are all about the fun. I know they will not mind hearing from you.

I have been lurking for some time, and sadly I feel like I know some of you. I am curious dancengym, you indicated in a previous post that you were at another facility when your daughter qualified. How did you handle this. Is that why she only had a short period of time to prepare? Did the other gym help? My gym would freak out. Good Luck to your dd. I hope she has a great time.

I have been lurking for some time, and sadly I feel like I know some of you. I am curious dancengym, you indicated in a previous post that you were at another facility when your daughter qualified. How did you handle this. Is that why she only had a short period of time to prepare? Did the other gym help? My gym would freak out. Good Luck to your dd. I hope she has a great time.

Hi Gymmie1. We are back at our old gym. We truly never left but was trying out another gym at the same time. Our "old" gym seems to be making efforts to train the girls better since a massive exodus of the team members. And reason why my DD had very little time to prepare is the exact same reason we were contemplating leaving. It seems there is a lack of communication and adequate coaching. My DD who is still in compulsories prepared for national testing (skills) part for only a little over a month. The abilities part was probably over a period of 2 months. According to her coach, she learned all the skills except her giants may be a little inconsistent. However, as you know the testing is over. Unfortunatley, my dd did not do as well as she could have. Things were not clicking for her at the testing. She would nail skills at the practice and once testing began, things were different. My DD is a quite disappointed. Her scores do seem low. My DD seems very sad. I've never seen her that down. Don't know what to tell her. I did not take her. Her coach said it is not certain she will not make it. We'll just have to wait and see.

I just got back from testing myself. I am really proud of how my girls did- and I do not think anyone will make it bc they made mistakes, but but were trying a lot of new big skills in a competition environment. They fell on some, so their scores reflected that, but I am so proud that they looked polished & confident, even with their mistakes. They worked so hard to prepare and tried some big skills! Its just so hard to "keep up" with the kids who are doing 2 a day workouts & homeschooling for gymnastics! I think even though your dd is disapointed now, I hope when she looks back she realizes that her hard work and the process of training are just as important! She only had a few months to train, so she should look back & be proud.

I NEVER let my kids see their scores, they are always a lot lower than they are used to in JO competition, and I do not want them to feel bad about their experience. I told my kids how proud of them I was for doing all their big skills. I told them about Nastia, she pretty much had the same bar routine at age 12 as in the Olympics, and she fell A LOT back then!! By the time she went to the Olympics, she was prepared because she had been doing the skills for so long and even making mistakes helped her be successful! Try to help your DD put a positive spin on things-its REALLY hard to either camp-even with lots of time to prepare!

I hope she stops being sad soon and sees what a great achievement she made. Hopefully she had fun and made new friends. And she had an experience very few will ever have. Even if she doesn't make it to camp she has done herself and her gym proud. And Good Luck!

I, too just returned. I had a 10yr old and two 8yr olds.. (both had turned 8 this August and had just finished level4 and level5 seasons) I stressed the having fun and how proud the gym was you made it to National testing. I did not show them the scores at all and kept saying how well they were doing. Gary mentioned yesteday they were probably taking only ten 8yr olds. The skills for most of the girls were pretty hard every age though the majority rocked the conditioning. You are right when you say its hard to compete with the 2 a day teams but,honestly at this age you want them loving it and wanting more,not treating it like a job they have to do.
Let your daughter know that making it this far was a huge accomplishment and anything else would be icing on the cake. The experience it self will prepare her for next years testing as what to expect.

I am sorry to hear that she is sad, but as others have said, make sure she knows what an accomplishment it was just to make it as far as she has. There is always next year. I know for a child that seems like forever, but it will be here before you know it. Besides, sometimes kids that are hard on themselves may believe they did worse than they actually did, so if she is that type of child, maybe her performance wasnt that bad. Good Luck!

Thank you all. I may have my daughter read your posts. Coming from me, she may think I am just making her feel better.

I don't know if her coach showed her her scores but I think she heard a few yelled out loud. She also knows she did poorly compared to what she has been able to do. She holds her handstands 1 minute no problem. All of a sudden at the testing, she held it for only 17 seconds! Her coach could not believe it. She also fell of the beam 2 times at the acro and 2 times at the dance. But still scored 8.5. On her layout 1/1 on a trampoline/tumble track, she nailed it three times during practice but could not do it during the testing. The judge even came up to her and told her he saw her do so beautifully and perfectly during practice and so he gave her another chance. But even with the second chance, she could not do it. She said she did 5 cast to handstand but heard the judge yell only a score of 2. I don't think she even did 20 leg lifts. Something she was able to do no problem at the gym. Her bars and floor scores were I think in the low 8s and high 7s. I think seeing all the great gymnasts might have intimidated her. Her coach said she was pouty the entire day of abilities testing. She has a hard time bouncing back from one bad event and it spirals.

Gymcoach34, my husband took my daugther because I had to stay home with my other 3 kids. He attended the parents meeting. And he said he could believe some parents. There was a man who had an eight year old testing. This 8yo was already being homeschooled and doing 40 hours. Worse, the parent was already asking questions like "when my daughter competes against the chinese, how do you think she should deal with that?"

My daughter did not like the pressure. I think she felt her coach and whole team was counting on her to make it. I think I also contributed to the problem. In my effort to not make her feel disappointed if she does not make it, I told her many of the girls she will be testing are from higher levels and are already competing the skills she is just currently learning because her coach said on the second day, my DD looked like she had given up. Live and learn, mom! I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

I've got to tell you all, I am truly in awe and hold very deep respect and admiration for our little gymnasts. It takes a very special child to pursue gymnastics. The demands, tenacity, beauty, grace and fortitude it requires, to say the least, is unbelievable.

I've got to tell you all, I am truly in awe and hold very deep respect and admiration for our little gymnasts. It takes a very special child to pursue gymnastics. The demands, tenacity, beauty, grace and fortitude it requires, to say the least, is unbelievable.

Please tell your DD that we are also extremely proud of her! This like everything in life that if we take the good and the bad and learn from it will make one stronger. She now knows what to expect next year. Continue on because making it to national testing was not a guarantee to any gymnast yet SHE made it. Whether she made it on team or not, she was there!! We are VERY proud of you little Dancegym DD!!:D:D:D

There was a man who had an eight year old testing. This 8yo was already being homeschooled and doing 40 hours. Worse, the parent was already asking questions like "when my daughter competes against the chinese, how do you think she should deal with that?"

The DD of that man will not make it to Elite, or anything like it! She'll be lucky if she can walk by age 10!:mad:

YOur DD did an amazing job just to make the natonal testing with so little time to prepare. That simply amazes me.:D

High 7's and low 8's are actually quite decent......not many 9's at national testing! Yeah, there are some true crazies out there!

I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread much earlier; I haven't been on CB. Ah, well . . . let's see if I can help at all now.

As many have said, just making it down to Nationals is huge. Your daughter needs to know that. Go over the numbers with her; so many people test, only __ got to go down in her age group! That's amazing! Yes, the expectations can be high and the pressure tough, but just being invited down to test is an honor and should be the focus. It's a one-try event, and it's not a complete indication of how good a gymnast truly is. As your daughter discovered, some skills she probably did better than usual, some she usually does far better than she did at testing, and some were probably about what she usually does. That's how it is for the vast majority there. She should be extremely proud of herself, not for what she did or didn't do at this one-shot deal, but that she was invited, that she learned so much in such a short time, and that she competed in that high-pressure environment and held her own.

Actually, if she wants to talk scores, the ones you gave sound good! As someone else mentioned, scores there are not like scores in meets, and, actually, there were some changes this year that might have made many scores lower. Because of those changes, I think it's almost impossible to predict how the scores might translate into making a team or not, so we aren't even attempting that for our own dd. (Oh, and let her know that our dd can totally relate to her cast-handstand woes. Our dd has beautiful cast-handstands, scored a 9 1/2 and 10 at regionals, and according to her coach, at nationals, her casts were her "best ever", yet she scored a lowly 1! DD said she was so angry about it that put her anger into her vertical jump, which was her next event, and had a good jump! It happens.)

Part of nationals, too, that no one has mentioned is that it can be a good indicator of how much the athlete likes this kind of intense competition that is different than regular meets. Our dd loves it, even though she, of course, gets nervous; however, not every gymnast thrives on it. Since your dd didn't really get much prep time, which certainly would add to the nerves, she might want to try again next year no matter what the result from this weekend to see if she does like this type of competition.

What your dd experienced this past weekend can work to make her a stronger gymnast, competitor, and person. I know that it has helped our dd's confidence and her ability to compete under pressure, among many other things, and that was before she even found out whether or not she made a team last year. In fact, many of the benefits that your dd will get from experiencing nationals occurred before she even stepped foot on the ranch. Going there and making one of the teams are just the cherry on the sundae. Congratulations to her! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back