TOPS Skills Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've got to tell you all, I am truly in awe and hold very deep respect and admiration for our little gymnasts. It takes a very special child to pursue gymnastics. The demands, tenacity, beauty, grace and fortitude it requires, to say the least, is unbelievable.

Lovely post. Congrats to your daughter. She is lucky to have a Mother as clear and level headed as you.

Thank you all. I may have my daughter read your posts. Coming from me, she may think I am just making her feel better.

My daughter did not like the pressure. I think she felt her coach and whole team was counting on her to make it. I think I also contributed to the problem. In my effort to not make her feel disappointed if she does not make it, I told her many of the girls she will be testing are from higher levels and are already competing the skills she is just currently learning because her coach said on the second day, my DD looked like she had given up. Live and learn, mom! I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

I've got to tell you all, I am truly in awe and hold very deep respect and admiration for our little gymnasts. It takes a very special child to pursue gymnastics. The demands, tenacity, beauty, grace and fortitude it requires, to say the least, is unbelievable.

Thank you so much for sharing her/your experience with us! It truely is a journey with many ups and downs and just when you think you have a handle on it you learn something new!:eek: Yay for her that she got that far and I hope she will be able to use the experience in the competitions to come. I have heard it said that the competition is the 5th event because it is a factor that is not present when they are in their own gym practicing and it is something that hopefully gymmies learn to over come--I know this is true for my gymmie who with each passing competitions feels more relaxed and a little less nervous :D

National Testing

Thanks for these posts. My 10 year old just finished the testing also. She was very unhappy with her scores but since we went with very low expectations-she only trains 12.5 hours a week (training L8), works at gym that doesn't have a tramp so she had no tramp skills to speak of and only had 3.5 weeks to focus on the TOPS skills, I thought she did exceptionally well.

I am a bit disappointed with the message that was given. They told the parents that the focus was on getting more coaches involved in the program but the test seems weighted towards those gyms that have TOPS training programs. Doesn't that defeat the purpose, why do those coaches who have down there before need to go again?

Overall, it was a great experience and confirmed that she really, really wants to pursue this sport. Next year she'll move to a much more competitive gym but I now know that she really wants this, not me.

Yes! We have heard! We are so excited! My daughter tested as an 8 yr old and was invited back to camp in December.

My daughter Jasmine and her little 8 yr old teammate both made A team. Jasmine is 9 turning 10 in December and Riley was 8 in August... All I can say is, thank God I do not have to go through it again next year. My babygirl's coach had already decided on giving Hopes a shot, but he had planned for her to try 11 yr old TOPs too. Now I can breathe easy. No pressure no pressure. Even my daughter felt relieved when she heard they were changing the program. One of her teammates was 11 this year and has made TOPs team every year since she was 7, but this time she was a point shy and made B Team. Have one lousy fluke of a pass... All gone...

flightskooler-albums-jazzibell-picture3340-jazzi-riley-networking-ranch.jpg

Jazzi and Riley socializing while I slept on the clubhouse couch and their teammate completed testing. Everything cool always happens when I'm asleep.

That is so cool for Jazzi and Riley to meet Mattie and Rebecca! and congrats to them too on a job well done!

Yes - the coach I know had the results yesterday (tue) evening.

Well our coach did not say anything when my husband picked up my DD last night at 7:30p. So, I guess they don't email the coach if you didn't make it. Well, it was a great experience for my DD. I just hope she does not feel too bad. Congratulations to all that made it!!!! What a fabulous job!!! :)

What a cute picture! That must have been so exciting for your dd and her teammate.
Congrats to all the gymnasts who made A/B Team or who even made it to the National Testing, they are all such HUGE accomplishments! If any of your dds are feeling bad about not making A/B team, just remind them that it takes a special kid to be chosen to do TOPs at all, to be allowed to test, and to make it as far as the National testing. It really proves they are something special to have made it that far.

Well our coach did not say anything when my husband picked up my DD last night at 7:30p. So, I guess they don't email the coach if you didn't make it. Well, it was a great experience for my DD. I just hope she does not feel too bad. Congratulations to all that made it!!!! What a fabulous job!!! :)

The list is up on the USA gym site with the names of those that made the A and B teams and also the 7yos that made Diamond.

The list is up on the USA gym site with the names of those that made the A and B teams and also the 7yos that made Diamond.

It is official. My DD did not make it. At first, I felt it was a long shot given the time she has been doing gymnastics and the amount of time she had been given to learn the skills and train for the abilities testing. Then she qualified for nationals with a pretty high score. After she learned the skills, she looked unbelievable. So, we felt there was a chance. Unfortunately, even if her skills scores were pretty decent, it was her abilities scores that killed it. Can you believe that? Her abilities scores got her to nationals and it was her abilities scores that caused her nationals. Ultimately, it was her nerves because she nailed those skills at the regional testing and nails it all the time at the gym. We are very proud of her.

I also noticed there was a significant decrease in the number of gymnasts that made it to the TOPS Camp. In the last few years, around 75 gymmies make it to A and another 75 to B. This year, there were only about 56 in A and about 66 in B. Kudos, and big kudos to the gymnasts that made it to the TOPS Camp. They all deserved it! Little girls with enormous talent and unyielding hardwork to match their big dreams. Way to go! Unbelievable job!!

It is official. My DD did not make it. At first, I felt it was a long shot given the time she has been doing gymnastics and the amount of time she had been given to learn the skills and train for the abilities testing. Then she qualified for nationals with a pretty high score. After she learned the skills, she looked unbelievable. So, we felt there was a chance. Unfortunately, even if her skills scores were pretty decent, it was her abilities scores that killed it. Can you believe that? Her abilities scores got her to nationals and it was her abilities scores that caused her nationals. Ultimately, it was her nerves because she nailed those skills at the regional testing and nails it all the time at the gym. We are very proud of her.

I just had to end my lurker status to respond to your post! Hi Everyone!

We are in a similar boat. My DD went to the testing and did not make the camp either. I am a little bummed but super, super proud of her for all of her hard work and accomplishments in her short gymnastics career! My 9yr old DD started gymnastics a little later than most at 6-1/2. This past year was her first year of TOPs and her first year of competition (L5), and while she is on track to compete L7 this year, we were all just thrilled that she made it to the national testing. I didn't think she had a chance to begin with. But when i saw her learn all of these big skills in the last month, I thought...just maybe she has a shot at camp. I am reminding myself that many of the girls going to camp have already competed a season at L6 or 7 and she is doing a fabulous job playing catch-up. I am really overwhelmed by the fact that I have spent more thought on the outcome than my DD has - she is taking it all in stride and I am equally proud of her maturity in that regard :)

So - a big Congratulations to all of the girls who got invited to Camp, who qualified for National Testing, but mostly to all of the girls who get up every single day and work hard to do their best regardless of the result. They are ALL amazing!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back