Parents TOPs testing .. how's it going?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Question for those who have attended the National Testing in the past. What should we expect?

Children stay with the parents I assume in nearby hotel. Looks like the testing lasts 2 days. Do you know before you leave the outcome for Team A or B or DIC?

How long is the parents meeting and what do they cover?

Thanks in advance for the info

My dd went twice several years ago. She and her teammates stayed at the ranch in the cabins, her coach stayed in the coach rooms. I believe this was required. We parents went along the first year and stayed at a local motel, but saw them for all of a few hours over the course of the weekend. Were with them to check in, brought them dinner one night, and walked around the ranch, took pictures, etc another day. We were not allowed to watch the testing. Second year we didn't bother to go. At that time, we did not find out whether or not they made a camp until a few weeks later.

I just don't think TOPS is a big enough deal to make it like a qualifier. The training for TOPS is great, don't get me wrong, but in the long run it doesn't mean anything. This is said as a parent who has a child that was pretty successful in TOPS. TOPS doesn't offer really anything exclusive that you can't accomplish without it, except for being named to a team. You can be invited to camps without it, you can do Hopes, you can become an elite. It just seems silly to think that it needs to somehow be made more fair across the board. I think they actually do a pretty decent job of trying to standardize scoring from test to test. That said, just like at meets judges are somewhat subjective. If you have a really talented kid, even in a harder to test state, you should be fine. National Testing will then make all teating "equal".

I'd say it's about as clear cut as it can get or needs to be. After all scores are submitted the top 100 make it...they don't pick and choose who should make it below that point.
I agree with you that TOPS isn't the tell all end all by any means :) I do think it gets a little sticky when you have coaches from other gyms scoring athletes from other gyms.. We've seen girls test in other states getting over 10 points higher than their state?! With equal if not better routines in their home state! That's beyond subjective in my opinion.. but again this is all merely brought up out of curiosity and wanting further input.

My dd went twice several years ago. She and her teammates stayed at the ranch in the cabins, her coach stayed in the coach rooms. I believe this was required. We parents went along the first year and stayed at a local motel, but saw them for all of a few hours over the course of the weekend. Were with them to check in, brought them dinner one night, and walked around the ranch, took pictures, etc another day. We were not allowed to watch the testing. Second year we didn't bother to go. At that time, we did not find out whether or not they made a camp until a few weeks later.
I would never give my prized procession to anyone. If they ask parents to not participate then there is a problem. Sorry just my opinion.

DD and I stayed in a hotel as well. I drove her each morning to the ranch, hung around the ranch while she tested, and then drove her back to the hotel with me each night.

Going to DIC has been a different story, and I have not traveled with her for those.

I agree with you that TOPS isn't the tell all end all by any means :) I do think it gets a little sticky when you have coaches from other gyms scoring athletes from other gyms.. We've seen girls test in other states getting over 10 points higher than their state?! With equal if not better routines in their home state! That's beyond subjective in my opinion.. but again this is all merely brought up out of curiosity and wanting further input.

It's hard as a parent to sit and watch kids score differently than we think they should. Different testers may have things that they are more strict on. I know in the state DD tested, our state manager is one of the National Testers as well. Many people talked about how hard he scored at National Testing. It was the same at the state level, so it was no surprise at the national level. If anything, I think I prefer the tougher scoring at the state level, because it better prepares you. If you read through some of the threads in the TOPs forum about National Testing from last year, you will see what I mean.

I feel like this is the exact reason parents are not given scores. Too much time spent comparing kids to each other, and their scores from one test to the next. They're all talented, they all worked hard, they all tried their best. Some make it, some don't. Celebrate what things your DD accomplished, and how far she has come, and it makes for a much happier journey.

It's hard as a parent to sit and watch kids score differently than we think they should. Different testers may have things that they are more strict on. I know in the state DD tested, our state manager is one of the National Testers as well. Many people talked about how hard he scored at National Testing. It was the same at the state level, so it was no surprise at the national level. If anything, I think I prefer the tougher scoring at the state level, because it better prepares you. If you read through some of the threads in the TOPs forum about National Testing from last year, you will see what I mean.

I feel like this is the exact reason parents are not given scores. Too much time spent comparing kids to each other, and their scores from one test to the next. They're all talented, they all worked hard, they all tried their best. Some make it, some don't. Celebrate what things your DD accomplished, and how far she has come, and it makes for a much happier journey.
First of all I want to start by saying I'm not unhappy with the journey at all.. I'm quite happy with the path my child is on and know all the girls work very hard. I don't think I was clear when mentioning the tester tested in our state and also in another with the same if not better routines .. she was scored by Tammy Biggs in the state that she scored over ten points higher.. and in her homestate much lower with equal or better routines/skills.. but I agree that I would prefer my child to be tested harder so that if at national testing it would be equally as difficult.. I'm not upset about TOPs testing at all, like I said before I was just trying to snuff out a rumor.. and I couldn't :)

First of all I want to start by saying I'm not unhappy with the journey at all.. I'm quite happy with the path my child is on and know all the girls work very hard. I don't think I was clear when mentioning the tester tested in our state and also in another with the same if not better routines .. she was scored by Tammy Biggs in the state that she scored over ten points higher.. and in her homestate much lower with equal or better routines/skills.. but I agree that I would prefer my child to be tested harder so that if at national testing it would be equally as difficult.. I'm not upset about TOPs testing at all, like I said before I was just trying to snuff out a rumor.. and I couldn't :)
Not saying you're unhappy with the journey, just stating it's a lot more enjoyable for anyone/everyone, if the emphasis on scores is removed. :)

Not saying you're unhappy with the journey, just stating it's a lot more enjoyable for anyone/everyone, if the emphasis on scores is removed. :)
Ha ha ha, well this whole thing was about scores since for TOPs you need to have a score.. but either way I've enjoyed the conversation:)

Question for those who have attended the National Testing in the past. What should we expect?

Children stay with the parents I assume in nearby hotel. Looks like the testing lasts 2 days. Do you know before you leave the outcome for Team A or B or DIC?

How long is the parents meeting and what do they cover?

Thanks in advance for the info
Some girls go with their coaches and stay on the ranch, others stay with parents and coaches at hotels or rent houses/cabins. Parents are not allowed to watch testing, the girls go in with their coaches. Youu can walk around the ranch, look at the animals, they usually have some cabins open you can look in.
At the parent meeting they answer questions and give lots of information about the program. IT wasn't that long, maybe an hour at most, but I don't think it was even that long. Make sure you bring water and snacks because there is nothing very close to the ranch to get food or drinks. It's all at least a 30 minute drive away.
The testing is broken up between 2 days, one days is for skills and the next for physical abilities.

I would never give my prized procession to anyone. If they ask parents to not participate then there is a problem. Sorry just my opinion.
Yes John, that is the hard part but luckily it isn't required for National Testing. We went last year and rented a condo on Lake Conroe. We drove the 35-45 mins to the ranch each day and walked around while they tested. Being that we are on the left coast and our coach has roots in Texas, we went down a few days early so the girls could adjust for the time and we practiced at Cypress.

The program is so different in other ways, too. My daughter fell on her beam dismount at National testing, and in a meet it would have automatically been .5 deduction. I don't think she was deducted much of anything, because Tammy said she was so powerful and had the skill down well, she could see the fall was just a fluke that time. They know what they are looking for, and the program works well in my opinion to search for gymnasts with talent.

Thank you everyone for the feedback on what to expect. It is very appreciated.
Just to add some additional info.... We've been the last two years and will be making it 3 for 3 this year! We have stayed in The Woodlands, TX. A great town with a mall and tons of restaurants and hotel options about 45 minutes south of the ranch. We enjoy the drive to the ranch each day, it gives us time to chat with the coach on the way and mentally prepare for the test.

The parent meeting is highly recommended and they do this several times over the weekend. Especially if you were like me and didn't know much of anything about the program the first time we went. If you have any questions Kim Riley will offer time at the end of her presentation for any questions from the group so take advantage of that. Parents can't watch but just being at the ranch is a great experience to share with your gymnast in my opinion.

It's also easy to find nervous parents milling around the property if you are looking for someone to chat with. I'll be one of them! If anyone wants to meet up let me know. :)

Just to add some additional info.... We've been the last two years and will be making it 3 for 3 this year! We have stayed in The Woodlands, TX. A great town with a mall and tons of restaurants and hotel options about 45 minutes south of the ranch. We enjoy the drive to the ranch each day, it gives us time to chat with the coach on the way and mentally prepare for the test.

The parent meeting is highly recommended and they do this several times over the weekend. Especially if you were like me and didn't know much of anything about the program the first time we went. If you have any questions Kim Riley will offer time at the end of her presentation for any questions from the group so take advantage of that. Parents can't watch but just being at the ranch is a great experience to share with your gymnast in my opinion.

It's also easy to find nervous parents milling around the property if you are looking for someone to chat with. I'll be one of them! If anyone wants to meet up let me know. :)

Pretty sure we met you at the airport last year before flying home, congrats to your gymnast!

Thank you! I must have thpught it was October...I got ahead of myself. I realized my error after I posted...
This list is the result of state testing. It names the TOPs national qualifiers who qualified to test at the NTTC in October. At National Testing, these qualifiers will test again before national staff. TOPs teams will be named from those scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back