TOPS testing results for my daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! I just wanted to post my daughter's tops testing scores from yesterday and hopefully put up a couple of videos. ;) Naomi had a good day. Some weak spots but some really great scores, too. They are as follows:

right split - 13
left split - 15
bridge - 5 points
leg lifts - 5
cast handstands - 2 points
press hand stand - 10
vertical jump - 23 inches
hand stand - 1 minute
sprint - 3.03
rope climb - 15.83

Some great scores, some not so great, but I am so proud of her!

Oh, and it's been a while since I've been on here, so I just wanted to brag a little - Naomi completed an undefeated level 5 season and took the vault, bars, floor and all around titles at state! Yay!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to post my daughter's tops testing scores from yesterday and hopefully put up a couple of videos. ;) Naomi had a good day. Some weak spots but some really great scores, too. They are as follows:

right split - 13
left split - 15
bridge - 5 points
leg lifts - 5
cast handstands - 2 points
press hand stand - 10
vertical jump - 23 inches
hand stand - 1 minute
sprint - 3.03
rope climb - 15.83

Some great scores, some not so great, but I am so proud of her!

Oh, and it's been a while since I've been on here, so I just wanted to brag a little - Naomi completed an undefeated level 5 season and took the vault, bars, floor and all around titles at state! Yay!

Congrats on a great TOPs test and the season. You should be very proud of Naomi...

As for the scoring question you asked me on the other thread, it depends on her age. I can assume based on the handstand hold that she is 10 or 11. For purposes of giving you a rough idea of her scores, I will assume that she is 10

The three timed events are scored based on a average after all the testing is over. We should have results in a couple of weeks..

Naomi - 20 meter run - 3.03 (excellent time) Nat'l average for 2008 - 3.32. I would guess 7.5-8.5 points

Naomi - vertical jump - 23" (huge jump) Nat'l average for 2008 - 16.49. I would guess 9-9.5 points

Naomi - rope climb - 15.83 Nat'l average for 2008 - 11.08. I would guess 2-3 points.

Keep in mind, these are guesstimates and are based soley on last year's scores. The cutoff for 10 yr olds last year to be invited to National Testing was 69 points. Naomi is probably in the mid to upper 60's. It will be close...

Thanks and I hope this helps..

Thanks, Iggy! That was very helpful. Naomi is hoping she can get another chance this summer. She slipped on the rope climb and doesn't know what happened with the leg lifts. She got 16 last year. Oh well. Yeah, it's close it would seem. Thanks for your encouragment and help. Good luck in September!

it is hard to say if she will make it or not she did GREAT on the PA's that are graded on the bell curve (sprint and jump) but the leg lifts and casts probably only counted as 2 pts each. I show her (by my calulations only) at approx 60 - 62 pts. Did she only get to test once?

Way to go on the undefeated season. If she didnt make it this year, with work on the core strength for cast and leg lifts she should be good for next year!!

I watched the video of the press handstands. Man! That's control! Watching that I think my gymmie has a long way to go *sigh*

Great stuff!
Snowbound

it is hard to say if she will make it or not she did GREAT on the PA's that are graded on the bell curve (sprint and jump) but the leg lifts and casts probably only counted as 2 pts each. I show her (by my calulations only) at approx 60 - 62 pts. Did she only get to test once?

Way to go on the undefeated season. If she didnt make it this year, with work on the core strength for cast and leg lifts she should be good for next year!!

Yeah, she should get one more shot. The leg lifts were pretty disappointing. They stopped her at 9 and said only five counted because her knees were bent. We're working on stretching her knees again (have to do that all meet season - her leg muscles are overdeveloped and makes her knees look bent). I thought we could break from that over the summer. Oh well. She also said she would have got a 15 on her right leg split if her knees didn't look bent, so that will help too. Rope climb and casts are weak areas for her, so I told her her best strategy is to work on the stretching and leg lifts and she should be able to bring her score up enough. Now I'm just trying to find a testing schedule online because I know there is another one coming up that her coaches plan to bring the tops girls to, but I don't know when or where. Anyone have a link for that?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Yeah, she should get one more shot. The leg lifts were pretty disappointing. They stopped her at 9 and said only five counted because her knees were bent. We're working on stretching her knees again (have to do that all meet season - her leg muscles are overdeveloped and makes her knees look bent). I thought we could break from that over the summer. Oh well. She also said she would have got a 15 on her right leg split if her knees didn't look bent, so that will help too. Rope climb and casts are weak areas for her, so I told her her best strategy is to work on the stretching and leg lifts and she should be able to bring her score up enough. Now I'm just trying to find a testing schedule online because I know there is another one coming up that her coaches plan to bring the tops girls to, but I don't know when or where. Anyone have a link for that?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

yesterday was the last day to test.... :(

Wow - those videos were impressive!:) I hope the TOPS results come out the way you want and CONGRATULATIONS a great year! :D

yesterday was the last day to test.... :(

Was it really? Her coaches did say there is another one coming up... ???

That's okay. I heard rumors it was in PA or something and I'm trying to gear up to pay for uniforms for Naomi and her brother, so travel would be most inconvenient.

Still to be so close and NOT make it...

Thanks, she's pretty excited about the good scores. I haven't had the heart to tell her that she doesn't have another shot this summer. :( When I woke her up yesterday morning, she jumped out of bed and asked which leo she's supposed to wear. She had been dreaming about testing. :weepy: I guess I should tell her tonight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back