WAG TOPs vs. Developmental Invite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My daughter is past this age group but I am just curious as to what is the difference between being a TOPs A (or even B) team member and being invited to the the Developmental camp. Is one higher ranked that the other? A coach told a friend that being invited to the Developmental camp is higher than being a TOPs A or B team member as it bypasses TOPs. Just curious. Thanks.

Developmental Invite Camp is a higher camp then the TOPS camps. DIC tends to focus more on HOPES optional skills where the TOPS camps focus more on HOPES Compulsory skills. The age range for TOPS camps is 8-10 years old and there is one TOPS camp a year in December. DIC ranges 8 to 13/14 years old and in 2017 there will be 3 of those Camps offered.

Developmental Invite Camp is a higher camp then the TOPS camps. DIC tends to focus more on HOPES optional skills where the TOPS camps focus more on HOPES Compulsory skills. The age range for TOPS camps is 8-10 years old and there is one TOPS camp a year in December. DIC ranges 8 to 13/14 years old and in 2017 there will be 3 of those Camps offered.

Thank you.

My daughter is past this age group but I am just curious as to what is the difference between being a TOPs A (or even B) team member and being invited to the the Developmental camp. Is one higher ranked that the other? A coach told a friend that being invited to the Developmental camp is higher than being a TOPs A or B team member as it bypasses TOPs. Just curious. Thanks.

Don't forget there is a Developmental invite camp and a Development Camp. The two are very different.

So, are more girls able to qualify for "something" from National Testing now? Or, is it the same number of girls just divided into 3 rather than 2 groups?

So, are more girls able to qualify for "something" from National Testing now? Or, is it the same number of girls just divided into 3 rather than 2 groups?

I would venture to say "yes" there are probably more girls now but I don't think we actually know...I don't believe there has ever been a list of DIC invitees actually published in the past so there is no way of knowing how many girls were invited to DIC from TOPS testing before this year. I have heard through the grapevine that most seem to think this was a very large group of invitees to DIC this year...but again, no real proof. But then again if you look at the # of A's and B's from last year compared to this year, 2015 definitely had much higher numbers. So maybe it really did all equal out. Smaller A/B Team but larger number of DIC invites.

If we aren't necessarily interested in doing Hopes or going elite or to the invite camp at this time, should we not bother with tops testing?

I would venture to say "yes" there are probably more girls now but I don't think we actually know...I don't believe there has ever been a list of DIC invitees actually published in the past so there is no way of knowing how many girls were invited to DIC from TOPS testing before this year. I have heard through the grapevine that most seem to think this was a very large group of invitees to DIC this year...but again, no real proof. But then again if you look at the # of A's and B's from last year compared to this year, 2015 definitely had much higher numbers. So maybe it really did all equal out. Smaller A/B Team but larger number of DIC invites.

Traditionally there are higher 'retirements' from elite after the Olympics so they will be shifting up more than usual from camp to camp to fill spaces. That may explain a few extra.

If we aren't necessarily interested in doing Hopes or going elite or to the invite camp at this time, should we not bother with tops testing?

No. If you aren't interested in elite, why are you participating in Tops? Maybe for the "educational" component? That could be a few days at the ranch, once.

IMO. Tops testing is pointless unless your gym/coach is unconnected to the ranch. Tops is designed to find kids with possible elite potential that otherwise would not be noticed by the national team/ developmental team staff. From USA gymnastics "TOPs (Talent Opportunity Program), is a talent search". Many believe it is a required step along the path to elite, but it is not. However, the conditioning required for Tops is used in most, if not all, quality gyms with upper level gymnasts. But it should already be part of your regular conditioning, not something that requires you to pay extra. It is possibly the most overblown program in women's gymnastics.

No. If you aren't interested in elite, why are you participating in Tops? Maybe for the "educational" component? That could be a few days at the ranch, once.

IMO. Tops testing is pointless unless your gym/coach is unconnected to the ranch. Tops is designed to find kids with possible elite potential that otherwise would not be noticed by the national team/ developmental team staff. From USA gymnastics "TOPs (Talent Opportunity Program), is a talent search". Many believe it is a required step along the path to elite, but it is not. However, the conditioning required for Tops is used in most, if not all, quality gyms with upper level gymnasts. But it should already be part of your regular conditioning, not something that requires you to pay extra. It is possibly the most overblown program in women's gymnastics.
I thought the conditioning would be great for her. Seems like the only way to ensure she gets the conditioning at our gym is to do the program, Our gym is not connected to the ranch, and we don't have any elite gymnasts. I see your point though, and yes, it does sound overblown.

I realize that. That is why I indicated developmental INVITE and not just developmental camp. I thought that was clear.

Sorry I was replying to the top message which only says Developmental Camp (although I think they mean DIC), Should have included the original message in my reply. I thought it might confuse people who didn't know there were 2 with similar names.

Sorry I was replying to the top message which only says Developmental Camp (although I think they mean DIC), Should have included the original message in my reply. I thought it might confuse people who didn't know there were 2 with similar names.

Oh I see what you are saying. I did leave out the word invite' in the original post. I assumed since the title of the thread indicated Developmental Invite that it is understood that the thread is about the DIC.

I recall seeing a list last year because our sister gym had two girls make the DIC. The list is again posted this year. If I counted correctly, there are 44 invitees this year.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/TOPs/Testing/2016/devinvite.pdf

If I counted correctly, there are around 54 TOPs A, 63 TOPs B and 44 DIC. When my daughter was in TOPs there were around or the average was 60 in A and 60 in B, give or take a few. It was explained at the parents' meeting that to cover all the cost of running the B camp (not the A and B as some thought) they had to have around 60 gymnasts. So it does look like there are more gymnasts invited to the ranch in that age group.

But that DIC list is only girls from national TOPs testing, it does not list any girl who had already been attending DIC. If all girls attend the next DIC the group could be over 80 girls!!

But that DIC list is only girls from national TOPs testing, it does not list any girl who had already been attending DIC. If all girls attend the next DIC the group could be over 80 girls!!

Not sure I am following. You mean the list which is entitled "Final Developmental Invite Camp" is only a partial list? Those that have attended the DIC who are now over the age of 10 can still be invited to the DIC? Is the DIC directly related to the current TOPs testers? Or is it not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back