TOPs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I couldn't find it either. I wonder if they took it down to revise/update for this year.

If you look at the TOPS/Elite page and there is the 2009 National Averages chart (on the left) , that will give you an idea on the requirements

BarCoach- PM me with your email addy. I have some .pdf files I can send you with info and requirements.

The elite development committee is changing the testing skills for TOPS. They are working on it now. These are some basics you can start w/...

VT- yurchenko entry & tramp twisting
BA- kip cast to hs (straight body)
clear hips to hs
another circle-toe shoot or stalder
blind change & swing 1/2 turns (in hs)
front and back giants
BM-front & back walkovers
bhs and 2 bhs
flt series w/ salto
front handspring front aerial or front tuck
side somi or side aerial
dismounts that have a cartwheel step in or rO (or can be from a bhs series)
FX-
RO 3 BHS layout
back twisting
front twsiting
FHS front lay
b ext roll to hs- also w/ blind change out
11 yo- double back

The new pre-elite compulsories are posted on the TOPs page. That will give you an idea of the dance & what is expected by the time the kids are 11. The kdis do the elite compuslory dance section for beam dance and show many different leaps & jumps w/ floor dance.

Each state has a TOPs state mgr. If you pm me I can tell you who yours is (tell me your state). They can be very helpful in getting TOPs info out.

Just a parent, but in my very humble opinion, TOPs will only provide your gymnast with so much. The strength and flexibility portions will certainly help any gymnast, while the skills will generally (from my observations) come from those gymnasts who are incredibly quick at learning advanced skills (though technique and proper form are other matters). For many gyms, having TOPs girls (program or actual qualifiers/team members) is a prestige component for the gyms' benefit. Some hand-pick, others provide the strength/flexibility training within their team workouts. Either case, this sport, as with any sport, has no guarantees. To spend so much time and effort focusing on TOPs is an exercise in futility. Better to focus on a gym that provides professional coaching that focuses on solid basics, form and technique. There is a gym for everyone and as a parent of an aspiring gymnast, you should take into consideration your gymnast's goals and needs. TOPs shouldn't be on the "top" of the list (sorry for the bad pun). I've seen many a TOPs girl burn out well before reaching optionals, elite, or any higher level accomplishment.

As for detailing the testing, my dd went through the regional test and qualified to the national test. Every gymnast will have strengths and areas of opportunity so focusing on only one aspect won't help - the cast handstand is only 1 of 9 or 10(?) strength/flexibility tests. There is also a right/left leg split, bridge, vertical jump, sprint, handstand hold, rope climb and press handstand that each girl must do as well. Some have time factors (like the sprint & rope climb) while others also have deduction potentials for incorrect technique or poor form (bridge, rope climb). The scores are all then put through some calculation to determine the top qualifiers to the national test. At the national test the girls do the same strength/flexibility tests plus the skills testing, which are elite level skills on each event. The "team" is then picked from the top 20% or so of those girls. This isn't completely specific, just a summary version for those who were wondering/asking.

I have an 8 y/o dd who has been involved in some form of gymnastics since she was 18mos old. She's now part of our TOPs program - the gym implemented the program last August so she's been training 5.5 hrs per week for about a year and a half now.

We're still struggling with many of the skills llike stalters and cast handstands (mainly because the coach has added four new 5y/o girls to the team and they are taking up lots of training time). We have another wonderful coach who is "tutoring" her w/ private lessons, but we're not sure she's going to make it to testing this summer.

I guess my questions are:

Does anyone think she should get the chance to go to testing even though she may not have all the skills (she could at least get the chance to score well on some of the skills AND get the experience under her belt)

and

Does anyone have any experience with this program? I guess I'm feeling like if she's not going to be ready after almost two years, maybe she should move to a leveled class where she can have the chance to compete and feel some sense of accomplishment?

What does everyone think?

becoming a gymnast has nothing to do with whether she'll "be ready after almost 2 years". you can't predict. and neither can the coach. but the coach is more qualified to make these decisions.

the sense of accomplishment comes from learning how to become a gymnast. not from having "the chance to compete and feel some sense of accomplishment". competing is not relevant or important for an 8 year old. training is. competing is not and end all, but a destination.

soccer and several other activities are out there if you want 'instant' gratification and satisfaction. "instant", "fast", "now" are opposing forces in the development of a gymnast. your child won't be developed in the sport of gymnastics for another 6 years. be patient and enjoy the process.:)

My daughter, who is 7yo has a coach who trains them via TOPS...but not competeing TOPS. She believes that if thay are strong they have less chance of injuries. They do strengthing for atleast 30 minutes 3 times a week, and so far except for bruises, there have been no serious injuries. They were also taught early on how to react to a fall (curl up and roll)....which has saved, I am sure many a broken bone and/or strain. As a farmer....I also believe in good old drinking milk(to keep your bones strong (yes, it might be fattening....but builds bones and muscles).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back