Tops

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have seen the term TOPS and I read a little about TOPS but I still don't quite understand the program. How does a girl get tested for TOPS? What is the benefits of the program? What age and level? What is it all about?

Thanks!

Well, first of all the gym has to have a TOPS program in place. Usually they hand select girls to train additionally for the tops test. Girls tested are between 7-11 years old. However, I heard next year 11 year olds will not test.

The test measures strength, flexility and speed. Based on their scores they are selected to be on a national team. They travel with their coaches for a week to the "ranch" in TX. It an amazing learning experience for the gymmie and coaches. Basically, they are being groomed for elite hopefuls. It a very difficult test and most gyms don't believe in the program.

My dd trained TOPs for a year and tested this past weekend. Most children find the training difficult and boring. My dd loves TOPs training. She is naturally strong and flexible which could be why she enjoys so much! Either way I personally think it's a great program and even if your child does not make the national team they are stronger, faster and more flexible which only leads to good safe gymnastics and faster progression.

However, if TOPs is not an option it's ok. TOPs is not the end all is all for elite gymnastics. "There are many roads to Oz."-Shawn :)

This link, as well as the general info PDF in it, provides a nice overview of the program at the different levels.

:: USA Gymnastics :: TOPs Program Overview ::

We have two "big" gyms around here that have both produced Elites and International Elites. One follows TOPs and one doesn't. At our gym, it's an option, but it's just that - an option. Many roads follow parallel paths.

I completely agree with starmaker and IrenicMom -- the TOPs program simply offers another option for reaching a common goal. The greatest benefit of TOPs training seems to be that gymnasts are able to progress a little quicker than normal as a result of achieving the strength and flexibility required to safely uptrain more difficult skills.

DD is training TOPs, but I'm not quite sure that the same thing couldn't be achieved by a non-TOPs affiliated gym with a strong focus on strength, conditioning, and flexibility training. If your gym does not offer TOPs, I don't know that I would fret too much about it. The same goals may be achieved with or without TOPs.

Pickle’s gym does TOPs, but honestly, I think they do it to get all the girls (even those that don't train TOPs) to take conditioning a bit more seriously. I mean really, it would be far more fun to learn to throw a full then hold a handstand on a beam for 30 seconds. But, in the long run, it is far better to have a 9 yo work on her balance and strength instead of jumping ahead to learn a skill she may not be ready for. Having this program in place just helps them institutionalize the importance of working on strength and flexibility leading up to the harder skills.

To the OP, I think you'll find some gyms love the TOPs program, some hate it and then there are gyms that might have a small TOPs program, but don't push it. Many gyms take some of the requirements for TOPs and make it part of their team conditioning. The focus for the younger girls is strength/flexibility and the older girls in the program also get tested on some skills. You will find that a TOPs program involves extra hours for the girls which means extra money for the parents.

TOPs testing takes place in all the states during the summer. Only a very small percentage of the girls testing in a state qualify to go to national testing and then even a smaller percentage get on the national teams.

As other parents have said being in a TOPs program does not mean your child will end up being an elite gymnast. We've been at 2 gyms, 1 that didn't do TOPs and one that does. The one that didn't do TOPs has had more L10s and elites than the other. There are just so many variables with each girl and her journey in gymnastics, its hard to say one program will or will not make a difference.

Hope we've answered some of your questions!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back