WAG Torn ACL & Torn Meniscus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OHGymMom

Proud Parent
DD saw the orthopedic surgeon today and has both a complete tear of her ACL and a partial tear of the meniscus (we knew about the meniscus tear but the ACL tear came as a surprise). Surgery is scheduled in two weeks. She's handling it pretty well considering her season (level 8 and high school)came to a very abrupt end with no chance to go to state for either team. She and I understand the recovery time is going to be no less than 6 months, likely longer. Just wondering if anyone on here has had their gymmie come back after these injuries and how strong the gymmie was coming back (how long to 100% and can a gymnast get back to 100%?). DD will be a junior next year so getting close to the end of her career and I would hate for her to miss all next season.

I think that there are too many factors for comparisons.
Who your dr is (is he old school, is up on the new techniques, etc)
Who your PT is
What type of therapy (aggressive or once a week)
How well your dd sticks to exactly what dr and pt allow (doing what she's supposed to, when she's supposed to, not doing more than allowed)
Her own biomechanics
Her own body's ability to recover.

All that being said, I've seen several make it back to 90-95%....one make it back saying that it was stronger than ever....also seen a few want it really bad and so all the right things but their injuries and their own body just were too much to overcome and they ended up retiring.

No matter what happens, keeping her positive is important....if she has a positive outlook then her body will recover faster/better (or so the studies say anyway)

Sorry to hear about your daughter. My daughter was on modified training for 3 months (bars only) and now no lower body training for 3 months - due to a tear in her VMO and fascia. So I totally feel your pain.

Wishing her a speedy recovery so that she can return healthy and quickly.

DD saw the orthopedic surgeon today and has both a complete tear of her ACL and a partial tear of the meniscus (we knew about the meniscus tear but the ACL tear came as a surprise). Surgery is scheduled in two weeks. She's handling it pretty well considering her season (level 8 and high school)came to a very abrupt end with no chance to go to state for either team. She and I understand the recovery time is going to be no less than 6 months, likely longer. Just wondering if anyone on here has had their gymmie come back after these injuries and how strong the gymmie was coming back (how long to 100% and can a gymnast get back to 100%?). DD will be a junior next year so getting close to the end of her career and I would hate for her to miss all next season.
I'm so sorry for your girl - wishing her a complete and rapid recovery! May I ask how it happened? (Sorry if that sounds awful but have a youngster & if there is any way to avoid it, I hope you wouldn't mind sharing)

Thanks ladies for your kind and positive words. Taurus she hurt it originally doing a simple round off on the floor. She's probably done thousands of them in her years of gym. This time she just landed wrong and her knee popped and gave out. Then x rays and physically therapy (MRI wouldn't be approved until she did this) and she got the green light to resume normal training. First practice and one bar fly away and now we have the mess that is her knee.

Had she had any trouble before that round-off? Aches? I'm sorry- I know it's not nice to pry, but I worry - and my girl never tells me anything!

And one more- how many years into gym has she had? Mine started very early and we're already well-known at the podiatrist (Sever's & in-toeing)

You're not prying and I have no problem answering. She had no knee problems before this happened. Really she probably just landed awkwardly and it tore. She's been doing gym for about 10 years. Started competing at age 9. She's always had very concerned and caring coaches that don't push the girls to train and compete through injury. Her coaches are being super supportive right now, as is her dance teacher, about her being on very limited time in the gym or dance studio.

Thank you for responding/ this is a new sport for me & ive read about the likelihood of injuries but have no clue how to prevent them besides having faith in the coaches - I do wish you and your daughter the very best and will be looking forward to hearing good news from you!

I tore my ACL years ago and had reconstruction. I was jogging 4 months after surgery. Gymnastics is very different so I would plan for 6 months. The key will be good and regular PT, gradual strength training, add impact, and smart/slow return. The good news is that she could probably do bars by 4 months, but must be careful with landings - meaning avoid them. Good orthopedic is important too.

Injuries are the worst. Sorry this happened. The time will go by quickly though. My DD broke her tibia and fibula last season and basically missed the whole season. It was a year of no progress skill-wise and we felt the same way you do...as a HS student there were only a few years left in the sport. Tell her to take her PT serious. PT BECOMES the workout for a while. Good luck!!

One of my friends tore her ACL during her college gymnastics career, and she really got into the recovery process 100%. She returned to full strength and even began competing the following year, finishing out her career. She is now a fitness model who does tumbling during performances on hard stages and she's completely fine. Very inspiring if you ask me!

Fully and optimistically committing to the recovery process is the key.

My husband recently had the exact same injury, fully torn ACL and partially torn meniscus. Landed the wrong way while playing soccer. He had a surgery on December 3rd. Now 3 months later he is almost back to normal, no pain walking, and the doctor gave him ok to start jogging in a couple of weeks. He is planning to try to go back to soccer in September. Gymnastics is of course much more difficult than soccer, but she should be able to start some training in about 3-4 months. The full impact training though, like vault or tumbling will take longer.

It's possible to come back fully. A girl on my DD's team tore both her junior year. Senior year was pretty much a wash as the rehab took quite a while but she got a walk on offer for college and is on her college team now. So it's quite possible to come back from this type of injury.

Hope the surgery goes well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back