Parents Totally unrealistic things in gymnastics TV shows and movies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
The children's book thread made me think of this, but these observations have nothing to do with the great questions she is asking, and I didn't want to derail her thread.

I've watched many gymnastics movies and TV shows with my daughter and there are a few things that come up over and over and make no sense at all.

-Kid will be the underdog in some big competition and is (to everyone surprise!) just trailing the two time World Champion leader. She realizes that if only she throws in a huge skill she has tried a few times in practice and never quite landed she will win! She tells her coach, "I need to put in the double twisting Wallenski." Coach: "But you've never landed it!" Kid (with grim determination): "I know I can do it!" She and her coach share a meaningful glance. Kid competes and the whole thing is in slow mo, the announcer suddenly says, "Wait, Kurt-- is she really about to do a double twisting Wallenski??? It's never been done in competition before!" The camera angle shows our gymnast basically at ceiling height, and she makes the double twisting Wallenski! The whole crowd (and it's stuffed to the rafters with gym fans) goes insane and she wins the whole competition because the double twisting Wallenski must come with multiple bonus points that allows her to just beat the two-time World Champion!

- Girl falls of beam in a Big Competition. The crowd gasps. They've never seen a girl fall off beam during competition before. The girl is stunned but unhurt and sits on the ground for several seconds before looking over at her coach who is angry, worried, or shocked. The coach nods at her letting her know she should get up and finish the beam routine. After wiping away tears with the back of her hand she gets up and finishes but the announcer lets us know this fall has probably cost her the competition.

- Mean girls. There is usually one Queen Bee mean girl who has a few minions and they bully our main character and her friends, although they are all on the same team. The coaches are totally oblivious to the conflict, despite the fact that there are a total of maybe 10 girls on the whole team. The coaches often make things worse by scheduling a lot of "inter squad" competitions that pit the girls against each other. They may also have a "leader board" posted at the gym ranking each of the girls.

-A confusing mix of skills. It's usually not stated exactly what level they are competing but it's always meant to be upper level, despite a confusing mix of skills. They'll show a girl doing about a level 8 floor routine, followed by shots of what appear to be level 5/6 beam routines. A girl will stick a front handspring on vault and get a 9.7, followed by a girl who flips a tsuk but takes a step on the landing and scores an 8.8. What level is this? Are there start values? Who knows!

Any fellow parents who've sat through many gymnastics tv shows and movies have more oddities to add?

Lol! For me, it's all the skill shots that have no spatial context. Flips and twists shot from below, no idea where they started, where they're landing, or knowing exactly what event they're on.

Gymnasts with low level optional skills, winning nationals then qualifying for the Olympics as the US’s best hope for the Gold as the best team in history.

Sigh... make it or break it.
Yes!

And for some reason in about half the shows the girls move to Australia to train. I think Americans really like watching Australian settings. Combine beach, cool accents, AND gymnastics and it has to be a winning combination! :p

Yes!

And for some reason in about half the shows the girls move to Australia to train. I think Americans really like watching Australian settings. Combine beach, cool accents, AND gymnastics and it has to be a winning combination! :p
And because those shows need an international audience they change a lot of small things to make it more relatable, so Australian gymnasts are like 'what, why are they scoring optional levels out of ten?' 'Why are they going to Sydney for nationals?'.

In the Gabby Douglas Movie, she and her mom enter the gym for the first time right onto the training floor. Mom and coaches start talking, mom telling them how she's been teaching herself. Young Gabby looks giddy and runs over to the beams and starts doing back handsprings between the beams where optional gymnasts are training layouts. The coaches watch her for a minute from the floor, where mom is still standing, and say, "Hmmm....what do you think?" While stroking their chins thoughtfully. The second coach tilts his head and says, "She can be doing elite in 2 years!" And off they go!

Like anyone just walks into a gym off the street right onto the practice floor without issue, and no one ever does BHS between the beams when 1. They aren't enrolled, 2. They aren't on the team, 3. They aren't training, 4. They haven't signed a waiver.

The dramatic falls - I remember more than one where a gymnast falls off the beam and gets hurt. (Usually the ankle??). The fall is shown from at least 3 camera angles all stitched together. The gymnast usually ends up landing in a ball, no matter what skill they fell on. Straight jump? Down to the mat in a ball.

One of the Australian ones had a girl struggling with her kip who was training for a big meet to try out for the national team (in the near future). Apparently level 4 bar skills are elite now.
Well the word Elite is not used in the same way in Australia.

A kip is not done until level 5 here, and technically they could be in an Elite group.

We had 5 year olds in Elite in our HPC (back when we had one). It jus referred to kids who were on the international pathway.

What you call Elite we call International. Future international, Junior International and Senior International.

You also compete nationals from level 7. And you can compete in National clubs in level 4, before even learning a kip.

I thought of another…..all the girls from the same gym, about 4-5, competing to make up the regional team (of which there is no such thing except coming from the state meet to regionals, a once a year event in real life). All the girls are around 10-12 years old, and they want to make the regional team that will travel and compete like a national team. This was the plot from a movie with a blonde girl who hurts her ankle and gets tutored by a girl in a wheelchair.

My DD and I loved to watch the gymnastics movies when she was young. We'd laugh at all the inaccuracies. The most recent ones we watched were some Dhar Mann (or Dhar Mann copycat) ones about making the college team with basicallky L5 skills. These movies would be pretty boring (not to mention long) if they were based on what high level gymnastics training really looks like.

DD was watching something (might have been a cheer movie not gymnastics), where the underdog gymnast comes from a hip hop background and in order to win the big competition they used their hip hop experience to create a new gymnastics move that has never been done before.

DD was watching something (might have been a cheer movie not gymnastics), where the underdog gymnast comes from a hip hop background and in order to win the big competition they used their hip hop experience to create a new gymnastics move that has never been done before.
That is full out and a true story lol. Well maybe not creating the move but Ariana Berlin walked onto ucla gymnastic team after being in like a breakdance group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back