WAG Traditional vs modified leg cut on gk leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If anyone can also how this compares to a ballet cut that would be great too!

A quick google search seems to indicate that the modified cut is higher than the traditional leg cut. I'm wondering if this is the same height as for ballet leotards.

Typically ballet leotards are cut pretty low on the leg, so my assumption would be that ballet would be the least revealing.

Quite the opposite. Ballet leotards have a higher leg cut than gym leos. :)
ETA:
Although I have seen a couple of pretty high cut gym leos at high level competitions. Most of the time, for the average gymnast, gymnastics leos have a lower leg cut than ballet. :)

Reactions: COz
The first is sold as a gymnastics leotard... the second is sold as a ballet leotard. The ballet leotard has a lower leg cut.

As far as GK, I recall that when we got our team leos from them, the MODIFIED was more MODEST (HC would call it the modesty cut... and some of our girls would wear it pulled down like the ballet leotard in the picture.

Attachments

• gymnastics versus ballet.jpg
    gymnastics versus ballet.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 348
My friend who has a dancewear shop and sells leotards to both dancers and gymnasts has always maintained that ballet legs are higher than gymnastics ones.

But, I've seen photos of gymnasts recently where the legs are cut really high.

Edit: There is also a fair bit of discussion on sewing forums stating that ballet leotarda are cut higher.

Quite the opposite. Ballet leotards have a higher leg cut than gym leos. :)
ETA:
Although I have seen a couple of pretty high cut gym leos at high level competitions. Most of the time, for the average gymnast, gymnastics leos have a lower leg cut than ballet. :)

I stand corrected. :) I was picturing ballet leotards cut like this:
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1423479631.460874.jpg

I have seen more ballet leos that are cut really low like those in the picture recently. That's not the norm, or the traditional ballet cut. The goal in ballet is to elongate the leg, not make the body look cut off. The only one that would be acceptable at any of the studios DD has been would perhaps be the one in the very back, the others would be frowned upon by the ballet mistress.:) In the lower cut ones, the girls (over a certain age like 11-12, not 7yo) would get a talk about how to present themselves in ballet. ;)

I guess the same could potentially be said for gymnastics as I definitely have seen some pretty high leg cuts in national competitions but that's not what I see girls wear at practice or meets here. :)

A very quick search on a dance wear site shows you the classical ballet cut leg.
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_N8699.html?pid=19011&Shop=Style&SID=664793535
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_N8437.html?pid=6316&Shop=Style&SID=664793535

Reactions: COz
And FYI, just browsing that first page (dance site)I see a lot of leos that definitely have very low leg cuts. I (along with the ballet mistresses my DD has worked with) are clearly of a more traditional mind. :)
Definitely very confusing as half of those I would have never said had a ballet cut leg line. ;)

As someone with stubby legs, a leo with a lower cut can be terribly unflattering and make for a frumpy sort of look. I can't imagine that would be desirable in ballet. Alpha Factor used to cut their leos very amply in the legs/bum which I hated, though I have heard they have since gone in the opposite direction. GK has traditionally had a higher cut, though not excessively so, so I would venture a guess that the modified cut comes slightly lower on the legs, or as Raenndrops suggested, more of a "modesty" cut.

Weird! When DD danced ballet they wore ones that were lower on the leg, very low in the back.. Everyone in the school and the company wore the same one, in different colors to denote levels. Like this:
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1423507930.805083.jpg

I agree, I think the college girls are showing way too much hind end! I'm a fairly open minded individual, but when you see more than what is covered... It looks really uncomfortable!

I will say, though, that it sometimes isn't the cut of the leo that causes the "wedgie" look. It's the body in the leotard. There are college gymnasts who never appear to get a wedgie and some of their teammates who always seem to have one no matter what. One University of Michigan gymnast from several years ago comes to mind right away. And, I don't think those were really high cut leos at the time.

I saw the same thing happen amongst my DD's team. For most, the team leo worked just fine, but for a couple, it didn't.

The college Leo's (some) bother me when I can see skin HIGHER than the hip bones and the leo sits inside the grove of our thigh/pelvis.
In otherwords if you NEED a Brazilian wax to wear the leo...
I swear it's because they have twenty something girls picking the Leo's and what college girl doesn't want her legs to look longer? :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back