MAG Training and competing at multiple gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

USA_2024

Proud Parent
Hello,

Are there any USAG rules governing competing at multiple gyms?

For example, compete JO events at one gym and JE/TS/FS events at another?

Well, I am not sure about rules. I know when you register with USAG you register with your gym. Your number can be transferred to a different gym, but not sure you can be registered with 2 gyms. Plus, tech sequences and JE meets are usually the same, so that would be interesting, as you would compete 2 days with 2 different gyms at the same meet.

I personally cannot see it happening. I cannot imagine any gym being ok with it. Why not just do it all at one gym? Way easier!

Plus JO/JE is more about the meet than the gym for which an athlete is competing. Not all meets have tech sequences. I doubt any meet or gym would allow an athlete to do tech sequences for one gym and optional routines for another.

I think your registration is tied to a gym. As sks said, you can change gyms but not be attached to two at the same time. I don't really see any gyms being happy with an athlete trianing at two gyms either.

I think your registration is tied to a gym. As sks said, you can change gyms but not be attached to two at the same time. I don't really see any gyms being happy with an athlete trianing at two gyms either.

Thanks for the quick responses. I know a Top 5 JE kid in Southern Cal who trains part time in one gym and part time in another but competes for only one gym. Situations arise where training at multiple gyms may be the best situation for the kid given circumstances. It takes the right kind of coaches more than anything.

To be clear I meant complete JO only events at one gym and JE events (JO/TS) and FS at the other. It may be better to change that to say a few local meets one gym and major meets at the other. Sound like competing at (2) different gyms is not an option.

Trying to sort through a messy situation that keeps kid on track and focused. Want to know what the options are.

Thanks. Will likely follow-up with additional topics.

Seems quite unconventional. Why does he not just train at one of the gyms?

There are two gyms in my area where the boys teams train together at each other's gyms. At meets they are coached by the same coach, but they are listed as from their respective home gym. Both are small programs so sharing coaching keeps the programs going.

I'd say if the athlete in question has worked out a program involving training at two gyms that enables him to get the training he needs and the coaches are fine with it, it's unusual but not problematic. Is this a solution you are trying to implement for your own child? In most cases, if the training at your current gym is not working and you've tried to address the issues, you are better off with a straightforward gym switch.

Reactions: sce
I agree with profmom. Working out at 2 gyms is fine if all coaches are aware of it an ok with it. The only concern would be over-training, especially as, I would guess, puberty is approaching. But if all are ok with and aware of the training, then great.

To be clear I meant complete JO only events at one gym and JE events (JO/TS) and FS at the other. It may be better to change that to say a few local meets one gym and major meets at the other. Sound like competing at (2) different gyms is not an option.

You've got me curious - what were you thinking might be the advantage to actually competing for more than 1 gym for different kinds of meets?

I can see the advantage of being coached at different gyms - perhaps because of distance hardship, or facility amenities (like lack of a pit or harness at one gym), or to take advantage of a particular coach who only coaches part time perhaps and so hours with that coach are limited... so I can see that being helpful under certain circumstances if all parties are agreeable.

But what would be the intended advantage of competing under different 'flags' so to speak?

I know of a child who has divorced parents who live in different areas of the stat so she goes between two gyms. They have worked it out for her to compete and practice with whatever gym works for their custody arrangements.

Granted, neither gym is super competitive and it's either Bronze or Silver Xcel, but I thought it was great they found a workable solution for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back