training coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am just wondering how much training do your gymnast's coaches get? Are they trained in conditioning techniques as well a skills and drills? Does that seem to help prevent injuries?

I am afraid our coaches get no training. However, I am realistic in my girls "careers" as gymnasts and know they will not be superstars. I do think that the coaches need training especially at higher levels to help avoid injuries.

I agree with Dunno. It is avalible if you look for it and have a drive to learn. Some of it is free, some gyms will pay if you go but many will not and most coaches don't make a fortune, for example I coach tots-optionals and I make 1/4 what I did at my last "real" job. So when it comes to paying for things myself I am not interested.

On a more positive note, when we train new coaches they shawdow the best coaches for months before they are turned loose. And you work your way up from pre school to level 1 and so on. We do not have inexperienced optional level coaches. I don't know how it is everywhere else though.

they can get it/find it if they want it.
Yes I realize that. I was just curious as to what the general rule of thumb is out there. I don't feel our coaches are inexperienced but there is just sooo much to learn. One of the coaches is very proactive in teaching herself, reading, online, talking with others, ect. but she doesn't work with my girls much anymore.

I think it depends on the area and individual club.

In High Schools, many of the coaches are former athletes, and use what they learned growing up, or try to make due with what they remember. Usually, they have seasonal clinics by conference.

In rec groups, you sometimes get current or former athletes, high school students who come along to help who need a part time job, or one of the best coaches in the gym - luck of the draw. Generally, there is nothing in terms of direct support other than the occasional clinic at conferences, and the ones that are (at least the ones I have been privy to) tend to focus more on the business aspect of things..

In USAG, etc.. it becomes pretty obvious when a coach cant cut it, and a gym owner will likely look at their bottom line and risk involved in who is teaching their kids. If they do not present knowledge, and they do not show that they can keep it safe, then they generally get picked out and told thanks but no thanks... often times, however, that time comes after a kid gets hurt, and the coach cannot explain their actions... and then, sometimes those coaches move on to other gyms...

Just like in any other job, career choice, or hobby - there are those who love it and know nothing, and those who know everything but cannot get it across.

Every year, there are clinics available. Many are paid participation (that is, you have to pay your way in to pay for the presenters), some are in house and skill updates within the gym or gym network (such as multiple gyms owned by the same owner/group).

In my experience, good coaches find a job and hold on for dear life. Bad coaches float around, a lot. There are exceptions to this rule, as with everything, but it has been my observation.

I think the bigger issue here is your (apparently) being uncomfortable with something... if that's the case, I suggest you speak with the owner about it, or the head coach if applicable. Questions are always good. Accusations are not. Waiting till your kid is the one that gets hurt is worse.

Just remember, gymnastics is a dangerous sport, and even with all the best teaching methods possible, and all the injury prevention done "right," there is still the chance for injury or failure. It's one of those things that makes our sport so unique... but then again.. I can always ram myself head first into another well padded player and still get a concussion, or land awkwardly from a rebound I have done a thousand times and rupture an Achillies... life happens, and life goes on.

Im glad that the one coach is pro-active. More coaches in ALL Sports should be. Gymanstics in particular. I know I spent a better part of a decade talking to coaches all over the place, and learning all I could through reading, video, and seminars. For all the experience I have, and what I "know" is right, I learn new things every day, and I disagree with some things that coaches say and do regularly. I have to say that I have been blessed as a coach to find the chalk bucket, and be surrounded by like minded coaches who share similar developmental and proceedural philosophies to help make me a better coach and educator.

/end rambling...

In my experience, good coaches find a job and hold on for dear life. Bad coaches float around, a lot. There are exceptions to this rule, as with everything, but it has been my observation.

I think the bigger issue here is your (apparently) being uncomfortable with something... if that's the case, I suggest you speak with the owner about it, or the head coach if applicable. Questions are always good. Accusations are not. Waiting till your kid is the one that gets hurt is worse.

You had a lot of good information but I wanted to comment on this. I AM somewhat concerned with what is going on in our gym. Trouble is gym owner is head coach. We have a great relationship and I do feel I can talk with him no problem. The problem is I don't think he will change. Not that he doesn't want to or feel he needs to he just doesn't. He has been doing this for a long time and thinks it works just fine. The gym, though, doesn't have a history of keeping too many higher level gymnasts and he blames that on the kids. He feels once they reach a certain age they just don't want to do it anymore. I feel with proper coaching they would enjoy it and feel more successful and stick with it. My girls have no desire to be superstars or change gyms so I guess I will just have to keep talking with the HC and see if I can encourage small changes :)
Thank you for you comments and information.

Educational tools/clinics are available, but at a cost, sometimes a pretty big one. If the gym is not willing to pay for the classes or offer compensation for obtaining further education, it can often be a pretty big financial burden on the coach. As a college student who coaches part time for minimum wage, but who wants to improve my knowledge of the sport and continue developing as a coach, I just don't have the means to do so. I get as much as I can from free online sources, but you can only learn so much without the hands on pieces. I anxiously await the day I have the money to pay for these things myself, or work at a gym willing to pay my sign-up fees, but until then I make do with what I can. I hate that I don't have more options, but it really doesn't seem to bother HC at my current place of employment that his coaches are not going above and beyond to learn which is unfortunate.
If your concerns are with safety, I would speak up. Let the HC know your concerns, even if you don't think he will react, and see what happens. He might provide reasons for what is being done or it might encourage him to think about things, even if he doesn't let you think that! Your children's health and safety is the most important thing, don't let anything get in the way of that!

Best education out there for coaching-get your butt in a great gym and watch & listen, as much as you can. It does take a lot of sacrifice! If you can, you should take a job w the best gym around (or move like I did) teaching lower levels so you can have time to listen & learn. Much better than any seminar or congress, though those are good too.

Me again, our booster club sent our coaches to the seminars and clinics that are put on by the Gymnastics Association of Texas or GAT. Gymnastics Association of Texas - Welcome
I do not know if every state has this kind of association but it is easy to check. The clinics are reasonably priced and the coaches really loved going. GAT promotes clinics and workshops throughout the gymnastics community.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back