Parents Training Hours at 5 years old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
I have posted about my 5 year old before when we were having gym difficulties. They have not really gone away, but we are learning to work with what we have. I am pretty excited for her because she is training with the Level 3s now (she can't compete until next year) 4 hours a week and 1 private hour a week to help her learn the routines from scratch. She learned them from watching and missed a few things. She is happy, excited, and coming home from her two hour practices only to keep practicing more and more. The up in hours has def. not lessened her love in fact she loves it more now! She is a high energy kid with a seemingly endless amount of it. This seems age appropriate right? They are not intense practices, but very fun!

Our level 2s of all ages practice 5 hours a week, and all Level 3s practice 9 hours a week. 4 hours seems reasonable.

I think the hours seem appropriate. I was wondering why she is doing an hour a week of private lesson for routines she won’t compete for a year. Is this required for her or your choice?

Because she is training with them, they are doing the routines regularly. It was suggested that instead of solidifying bad habits that she learn them correctly now.

4 hrs is totally appropriate. My 5yo developmental/preteam kids go 7hrs. And we are not by any means a super high hours gym, L3 goes 9hrs, L4/5 goes 12, L7 goes 16, 8+ goes 20-23 hrs.

I don't mind paying. Our gym is super cheap.
I get that...but at the same time, one would think they would be able to get your kid doing the routines during the practice....that is what practice is for, to learn the routines and to fix bad habits....I find it wild that this was their answer to your child learning the routines, unless she is in a group of 20 kids and they all know it beautifully and she knows nothing. I also recall from your posts that your kid does quite well, so I doubt she knows nothing. :) No offense, but I would never do it.

I am also puzzled by the privates. Why can't they just give her corrections when she does them in the gym? When both of my offspring were beginning in gym, they didn't bother with routines until several months before the first meet. Basic skills are far more important than routine polishing at this point.

I was in the same boat as all of you. My best friend is a gymnastic judge though and I sent her a video of my daughter doing the floor routine. She has the music timing down, the big skills, just gets turned around on which way to turn, which leg to start with that stuff. She suggested the privates to help get the routines down now before she solidifies bad habits. And it is a large class of 12 girls so she can't correct everything.

And it is a large class of 12 girls so she can't correct everything.

Gyms all over the country manage to teach teams of that size and larger routines.

There is absolutely no need for privates at that age and level. Especially to learn routines that they are a year out from competing.

Seriously pretty much every one here agrees and that rarely happens around here. :D

I would be wary of the need for regular privates, especially so early on. It could be a sign that the coaches are not managing practices effectively, which may impede your child's progress in the future. At least that was our experience with the gym where my daughter started preteam.

I would be wary of the need for regular privates, especially so early on. It could be a sign that the coaches are not managing practices effectively, which may impede your child's progress in the future. At least that was our experience with the gym where my daughter started preteam.
Or they are wanting the extra cash.

Lol @Deleted member 18037 !! So true. I agree. 4 hours/week sounds completely normal for a 5 year old that won't compete for a year. The weekly hour long private though? Total money grab. Absolutely unnecessary. You are ALREADY paying the coaches to teach her routines - during her normal weekly class. That is absolutely their job. It is mind boggling that they think that your dd needs an hour of private instruction a week to learn routines (really just floor and beam) that she won't compete for a year.

*side note, there is a popular insta-gymmie who does this too and I seriously don't get it. Those routines better be rock solid come meet season! Even if you were only paying $10 a private (and I'm sure it's more than that), that's theoretically over $500/year EXTRA on top of normal tuition. :eek::confused:o_O

I think maybe the OP’s daughter has been put into a level 3 team group that had already gone though the process of learning the routines? If that is the case it is hard to take the time out in a group of 12 to teach and fine tune details with one kid who doesn’t know them. I wouldn’t be concerned about privates for a limited amount of time(like a month or two) to catch her up if this is the case.

I think maybe the OP’s daughter has been put into a level 3 team group that had already gone though the process of learning the routines? If that is the case it is hard to take the time out in a group of 12 to teach and fine tune details with one kid who doesn’t know them. I wouldn’t be concerned about privates for a limited amount of time(like a month or two) to catch her up if this is the case.
Maybe if they were competing in the next month or 2. But not a year away from competing.

Besides if the other 12 already know the routines, catching one up should be rather easy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back