WAG Training strategy of coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
The "preferred hand placement" thread made me think of this post. In my limited experience, I've noticed that there are coaches who go with the natural ability of a gymnast and/or I guess coaches that allow more "individuality" so to speak. And there are coaches that are very strict with how their gymnasts perform skills. For instance in vault, a gymnast naturally goes crooked or hurdles crooked. One gym (Gym A) allows this and merely moves the springboard to where the gymnast hurdles. The other gym (Gym B), takes pains to correct the crooked hurdle by introducing more drills. The gymnast in Gym A does not seem adversely affected both in scoring (she scores in the high 9s) or progressing (she is now training double layouts). In bars, a gymnast hits the low bar doing her giant and the next day, Gym A coach moves the low bar farther away. Now the gymnast does not hit the low bar and can perform giants (but now bails are a little difficult because the bars are far apart but somehow the gymnasts still eventually can do them). Gym B insists on keeping the low bar closer delaying the progress temporarily. On beam, Gym A goes with the positioning of both hand and feet used by the gymnast when she first performed bhs. Apparently, the hand and feet position was problematic in the gymnasts progression to bhs bhs. But then although in the minority, there gymnasts that have progressed successfully using this uncommon positioning.

It would seem to me that I certainly prefer the latter strategy and trying to do it "right" from the start. But the Gym A believes it is best to go with the gymnasts natural inclination of performing a skill and that the method of other gyms in "forcing" standards does not benefit all gymnasts. Is there a point where you as coaches stop forcing/trying to change the natural inclination of a gymnast to perform a skill and go forward with what they are more comfortable doing? What if after all your drills you cannot straighten the hurdle or the gymnast cannot do a giant with the closer bar setting, what do you do?

The examples stated above are higher optional level gymnasts. I am not passing judgement on an coaching strategy but more interested in looking at both sides, their pros and cons.

What if after all your drills you cannot straighten the hurdle or the gymnast cannot do a giant with the closer bar setting, what do you do?

Interesting points and questions. To answer your question, at our gym they try to correct it. The lower the level the more they insist on it being absolutely correct. But if the gymnast can't correct it they might let her continue if she's progressing in other skills. Typically these are kids who are reaching their gymnastics peak. Meaning they can't correct it because they don't have the ability and they are usually at their last level they will achieve. But the other side of the coin is maybe she is this way because she was allowed to continue advancing when she should have been held back.

Thanks for your response gasrgoose. Your points make a lot of sense; premature advancement may make it difficult to make more precise corrections and gymnasts have their peak.

I guess i knew even before I posted the question what the better strategy would be. Of course, ideally correcting the problem is the way to go. And then I thought if the coach just does not know how to correct the problem that can be remedied if the coavh had the desire to better themslves. But if the coach merely chose to ignore the problem because it is easier to go forward, that would be more problematic. I spend so much time idly waiting for my kids to finish practice, school, play dates, etc. I observeve their teachers, coaches etc. Gym B above has coached high level athletes and even legitimate elites for decades. So either they were lucky they had very talented gymnasts that did not require great coaching to get far or they are indeed experienced talented coaches but years of coachng have taken its toll and they may be burned out.

Is there a point where you as coaches stop forcing/trying to change the natural inclination of a gymnast to perform a skill and go forward with what they are more comfortable doing? What if after all your drills you cannot straighten the hurdle or the gymnast cannot do a giant with the closer bar setting, what do you do?

Experience...that is what I am looking to gain more of everyday. Anyone can become technically sound very quickly with all the modern training available (this website...youtube...camps...clinics). Experience is what only time can bring.

Crooked vault hurdle...we straighten it.

We are not an elite gym...we swing wide all the time.

Beam hands and feet...hmmm...thinking about that right now due to a recent thread on this site.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back