training up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ive been really interested in gymnastics for awhile, but my mom doesn't want me to start doing it cause im quite busy at school and A levels next yr and it will be a huge commitment. i know i'll never be able to do it competitively cause im already 17(do such miracles happen?? a german gymnast competing in the olympics was like 30!! but she probably started young..) but want to do it recreationally at least..

but since i'll have to wait a couple of years maybe, i want to ask what kind of exercise or conditioning or stuff i can do at home to start off... i used to do ballet but i need to build up strength?

thanks

The best time to start is now, in an adult class... Even once a week.

Push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, pull-ups, those things are good. Weight-lifting? Some sprinting for vault?
Work on flexibility!

Oksana Chusovitina (sp?) did compete in Beijing, she's 33 and going strong, and even won a silver medal on vault and ninth AA! But she's competed in five Olympics, and i think started competing internationally at 14, before Shawn Johnson was even born! Most skills she does are ones she learned around 15-16.

It's never too late to start!

Yes, you can start gymnastics at 17 and you can prgress to be a very successful compettive gymnast at this age. Be aware that may mean competing against girls much, much younger than you at first. But don't think of it as competing against younger girls, think of it as competing against girls who are also beginners, they just happen to be younger. You are right there is really no chance for you every to compete internationally or compete at the olympic games starting at your age. But thats no big deal, the vast, vast majority of gymnasts, even those who start at 2 or 3 years of age also have no chance of competing at this level. It doesn't mean they wont be able to have an extremely rewarding career as a competitive gymnast.

Yes, the gymnast from Germany was 33 years old. But she has been competing internationally for 18 years. And training since she was very young. But this still an incredible achievement. To compete at this level it requires you to train 6-7 hours a day, 6 days a week. This is extremely hard for girls to maintain over a long period of time and Oksana has managed to do it for over 18 years. This is a sign that she has looked after her body very, very well and is very deserving of the rewards she gets now.

The first two answers pretty much covered it, but I just wanted to wish you luck and success with this endeavor. I think it's awesome when people my age are older really go for what they want to do. So many times I hear how cool it is that I'm a gymnast, and how they wanted to be one, yet no one ever comes back or starts up. So I think it's really cool!

thanks all for the advice and stuff!!

hardly any gyms here offer adult classes!! but ine gym now my area does thank goodness but im not sure abut it's program:

Adult Class: 18+ years old 1 1/2 hour long classes catering to the curious and adventurous. These classes allow the big kids to progress at his or her own pace. Set your own challenges and we will help you achieve them. The session starts with a general warm-up led by the coach and then the gymnasts go to the apparatus that they wish to work on. If you require help just ask the coach who is on duty and they will give you a few tips on how to learn or master what you want.
from their website: Prime Gymnastics Home

so is joining such a program good? it seems like we have to like teach ourselves and doesn't seem serious enough and basically for people who have done gymnastics before.

That program sounds very unstructured and probably is not very good for beginners. Basically it sounds like open gym. Everyone warms up and then does whatever they want. If you have never done gymnastics before then you wont really have a clue what you want to work on or what you need to work on. It would be better to find a more structured class especially for beginners which will teach you the basics on each apparatus.

If the gyms don't offer adult classes look for teen beginner classes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back