Parents Trampoline and Tumbling Parents: Question for You!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
So due to the fact that JO gymnastics may not be in the cards for us due to training hours, can you please provide some insight on your experience with T&T? There is a hymn nearby that offers this (along with cheer) I am going to take DD in for an evaluation. She already has told me that this is something she might want to do so we are looking into it. How do you like it?

We love T and T-we were in MAG before, so I can't speak for girls, but it is more laid back and friendly. Training hours are shorter and they can be different levels in different events, so if they are struggling in one event, they can still move up in other events-they don't have to wait until they have the required skills in all events. Even when they struggle, my kids say they would never want to give it up.

My DS trains at a trampolining only gym in the Netherlands so it might not compare to US situation, but we do love it. This is a very competitive gym which does well at national and even international levels. But even though he is training quite hard working towards elite levels, it is still a very laid back, relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Training hours are less than in artistic. He is at 9 years old now training 9 hours a week in 4 sessions. Most kids in lower levels train about 4-6 hours a week in 2-3 sessions.

Great video! That's a lot of smiling! I think there are future plans (fingers crossed) for some sort of t&t program at our gym. I hope so, I think it would generate a lot of interest and keep a lot of kids at the gym when they are finished with WAG/MAG.

:)

My YDD moved from artistic to T&T with very little issue. She does still miss bars and vault. T&T like others said is much more laid back and the hours are less. the ability to be at different levels has been helpful. It is a great program.

DD does WAG and DS1 and DS 2 do T&T. They have really enjoyed it. Nice atmosphere, the co ed piece is socially nice (less drama than girls alone in the tween population), nice that they can have different levels and mobilize in the season. WAG transfers usually do very well b/c the have the form and conditioning background. Hope she loves it:)

I am sorry that the J.O. program won't work for you, as I know your daughter was very interested. But she sounds like a very mature little girl who is open to other options, and understands your situation. Huge kudos to her! I know nothing about T&T, but a gym in our area has it, and it is supposedly an amazing program. My friend's son switched to it from the J.O. program and he is thriving, whereas he struggled in the J.O. program at our gym. Good luck to her!

Thanks everyone for all your advice! We have a T&T and cheer gym very close to our house that we tried yesterday. DD loved it! I did feel my heart crush a little when we drove up and she said "do they have bars here?" Ugh.

But she did awesome at her tryout, the gym director saw DD during her work out and he (director) came right over me and started talking to me about options. He was super cool and understanding and not at all pushy (he did tell me he was impressed with DD, but he was like let's put her in some advanced tumbling classes and we'll see what she wants to do from there)they do seem very much more laid back, rhe hours are definitely less, they want kids to be able to "have a life"....they have kids who just come for tumbling classes but they also have elite tumblers and trampolinists (trampoliners?). They were all so positive and fun, everyone gives the kids high fives, like even random coaches walking by.... The director actually listened to me and didn't look at me like a CGM. They had her try out in a beginner class (just so they can see where she's at) and at first he said "yeah she's definitely too advanced for this, we need to put her in the intermediate/advanced"....I told him I understood why they did this just to check it out, so I didn't mind...and then I said that the most advanced skill she's working on right now is her ROBHS and he immediately said "oh great! I'll have some coaches work on that with her today! Then they got some other coach to work on it with her right away, and she did some awesome back handsprings with them! I think the more positive atmosphere made her way more excited about it. It was pretty cool to be in a different gym and experience someone taking individual interest in my kid :)

When DD was done she walked up to me and said "ok, I want to come here!" So I asked her about the fact that there are no bars, she says "well, I get to stay in pre-team thru may, so I can do it till then, and then there's bars at the playground, so I'm fine with that" (why can't my younger one be this easy too!?!)

So we have a solution now if team doesn't work out. I'm going to call one other gym (artistic) in the area today to find out how their summer program works, but DD had such a great time at this gym yesterday I think my questions are answered.

There was another recent thread about this, if you missed it:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/index.php?threads/Thinking-about-T&T-for-DD.55095/

I think t&t is a great alternative to WAG if your DD is done there. It's laid back, lower hours, and just...friendlier in general, at least that's been our experience.
Oh this post was so helpful! I hate that we might not be able to make WAG work, but unless my husband magically gets a raise in salary, or we win the lottery, I have no idea how id make it work. If my DD hated the tryout yesterday I'd be working harder to find a way to keep her in WAG, but as of this morning she's already asking to go back to the tumbling gym, that has to be a good sign right!?

I love that you can be different levels for different events, it's so awesome. And the fact that the gym/cheer director told me that he has elite kids who train the same hours my DD does now at her current gym almost made me fall over, I'm really happy that this program is something that fits our current lifestyle.

My husband still needs some convincing. He knows how much DD loves bars too, but I wish he could have been there to see her face after she was done tumbling yesterday. He said he wants to talk to our HC about what other parents who work do about their summer hours, but I know what they're going to tell him.
We just bought a house and are in the process of moving, we have LOTS going on this month, so I know the Hubs is also just stressed, but it should pan out.
Ultimately I'm going to be the parent that transports kids to activities (because my hours are more flexible and he is in a more demanding role than I am sorta....so I'm totally ok with this) so this would automatically make my life easier with the shorter training hours....plus this gym is even CLOSER to our new house than our current gym is....like DD could ride her bike there when she gets a little older, it's that close, less than a mile I think. It seems too good to be true at the moment, but we will see. We have a few months until summer still so I think if DD still wants to do this come the end of May, we will make the switch.

Oh this post was so helpful! I hate that we might not be able to make WAG work, but unless my husband magically gets a raise in salary, or we win the lottery, I have no idea how id make it work. If my DD hated the tryout yesterday I'd be working harder to find a way to keep her in WAG, but as of this morning she's already asking to go back to the tumbling gym, that has to be a good sign right!?

I love that you can be different levels for different events, it's so awesome. And the fact that the gym/cheer director told me that he has elite kids who train the same hours my DD does now at her current gym almost made me fall over, I'm really happy that this program is something that fits our current lifestyle.

My husband still needs some convincing. He knows how much DD loves bars too, but I wish he could have been there to see her face after she was done tumbling yesterday. He said he wants to talk to our HC about what other parents who work do about their summer hours, but I know what they're going to tell him.
We just bought a house and are in the process of moving, we have LOTS going on this month, so I know the Hubs is also just stressed, but it should pan out.
Ultimately I'm going to be the parent that transports kids to activities (because my hours are more flexible and he is in a more demanding role than I am sorta....so I'm totally ok with this) so this would automatically make my life easier with the shorter training hours....plus this gym is even CLOSER to our new house than our current gym is....like DD could ride her bike there when she gets a little older, it's that close, less than a mile I think. It seems too good to be true at the moment, but we will see. We have a few months until summer still so I think if DD still wants to do this come the end of May, we will make the switch.
Loved reading your post so much! You have found your kid a sport she loves, that won't break your pocket book, won't add stress to your family, is at a facility a stones throw from home, training with coaches who are positive, embraces recreational athletes AND give more serious athletes the opportunity to train elite in the sport...could the list of positives get any longer!? Sounds like every parent's dream come true! Good luck to your daughter in her new adventure!

Let me just add that this new gym has a summer program where we basically pay one fee and she can go as much as she wants all summer, and the price is what I would pay for ONE MONTH of tuition I would at her current gym (which isn't even factoring in coaches and equipment fees) I almost fell over again.
This program looks like she will have such a bigger chance to advance faster, with more opportunities for big meets. Now to just get the Hubby on board, and I'm set!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back