Off Topic Trampolines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are considering getting a 15’ square Skywalker trampoline. Does anyone have one and know if they are good for gymnasts? I know rectangles are the best gymnastics trampolines but we want to use it for family fun as well and want the width. (also so you can flip any direction/less chance of crashing into the net on the skinny side) it will manly be used by a 5’ 2” 120 lb girl, in Xcel silver (possibly Gold next season) would do round off back handsprings, front handspring, front tuck/layout, branie(not sure how to spell that), and general flipping/playing/tumbling. We want something very bouncy and good for flipping but also good for the family to play on. We are definitely leaning towards this one as it sounds good and is large for the budget. Does anyone have one and like it?

Check your homeowners insurance. Some won’t allow a trampol because it’s considered an “attractive nuisance “ and it’s easy to get hurt on it.

We’ve got a Springfree trampoline and it’s fantastic! We got it because my brother recommended it. He’s an anaesthetist and used to be very anti trampoline due to the number of kids he saw with broken bones after using them. His kids wore him down and after extensive research he went for a Springfree. My kids can all round off flip tuck on ours and it’s round so plenty of space. It’s no doubt not great for technique etc but they love it, have so much fun and it hasn’t done their form any harm after 3 years or so of use!

I don't know about that specific trampoline. We like our 14 ft jumpflex though.

I'd tell you 14/15 feet is about enough room for one back handspring, not connected tumbling. It is great for single elements though.

I'd warn against family jump time however. 3-4 people with different weights can get pretty crazy if some don't have good control.

Sounds like fun!

We’ve got a Springfree trampoline and it’s fantastic! We got it because my brother recommended it. He’s an anaesthetist and used to be very anti trampoline due to the number of kids he saw with broken bones after using them. His kids wore him down and after extensive research he went for a Springfree. My kids can all round off flip tuck on ours and it’s round so plenty of space. It’s no doubt not great for technique etc but they love it, have so much fun and it hasn’t done their form any harm after 3 years or so of use!
Thank you! I don’t think we could afford it though. What size is it and how old are your kids?

Trampolines are a lot of fun and great fitness but can be highly dangerous.

It’s important to include some very strict rules. Most importantly, only one person at a time on it! I have seen some horrible injuries on backyard trampolines and 90% are caused by having 2 people jumping at once.

I once had a little gymnast who I never saw again be at she was jumping on her backyard trampoline with her brother, she was double bounced off and suffered a brain haemorrhage.

As a coach I also frequently see trampolines destroy a kids progress. Practicing skills at home, especially on a very bouncy trampoline, means they can get the skills over without great technique as the trampoline does a lot of the work. The kids then practice the skills with poor technique over and over. Then can’t do it on the floor anymore.

It’s much harder to undo bad technique that is ingrained, than to teach a skill from scratch.

I didn't want to be the fun sucker coach, so I'm glad someone else went first. I cringe when kids tell me what they did on their trampoline/air track/neighbor's house. I will add that our coaches told us if we were going to mess around at home, we should only do skills we could do on beam, which I actually like as a rule. It meant we were only doing things at home that we'd been doing at the gym proficiently for a long time. Possibly related, my teammates and I really loved beam and begged to try new skills

The nets do sometimes give people a false sense of safety though. The kids often say to me "I cant get hurt on my trampoline it has a net" or "we can have lots of people on at once because it has a net". But it is important that they realize that even with a net trampoline injuries can occur and can and do result in some very scary consequences like paralysis or death.

The dangers of multiple kids is still strong with a net as they double bounce each other and land on each other. Kids still land on their head and neck doing skills.

So even with a net they need 1 at a time, and not practicing new skills.

Definitely true, was not saying a net makes multiple kids on at once okay/makes it completely safe. Just means they won't fall off the side.

We are considering getting a 15’ square Skywalker trampoline. Does anyone have one and know if they are good for gymnasts? I know rectangles are the best gymnastics trampolines but we want to use it for family fun as well and want the width. (also so you can flip any direction/less chance of crashing into the net on the skinny side) it will manly be used by a 5’ 2” 120 lb girl, in Xcel silver (possibly Gold next season) would do round off back handsprings, front handspring, front tuck/layout, branie(not sure how to spell that), and general flipping/playing/tumbling. We want something very bouncy and good for flipping but also good for the family to play on. We are definitely leaning towards this one as it sounds good and is large for the budget. Does anyone have one and like it?
Hi. We just got the Acon 16 Sport 10x17 and they love it. Amazing reviews and we felt the best for safety and overall the best quality when doing research.

Definitely the Acon… we have 3 trampolines at our club. It won’t compare to our $8,000+ Rebound Products tramp… but the Acon is good…

Make sure it is used properly and with appropriate supervision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back