WAG Trans and Non-binary athletes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRays

Coach
Proud Parent
USAG came out with a policy for Trans and Non-binary inclusion. Do any of you have gymnasts who are in this catagory? How has their experience been in your gym? Is your gym open to using their preferred pronouns?

The gym I used to coach at, and occasionally still visit and help, has a teenage Xcel gymnast who uses they/them pronouns. Coaches and teammates respect that. This athlete also chooses not to shave their legs or armpits, and to the best of my knowledge, no one has given them a hard time.

In the decades of owning a gym with thousands of kids each year we have never had this occur.

We have wondered what we would need to look at if it did. A lot of time you don’t realise what is needed until it’s needed.

In my time coaching, I have had only one transgender athlete (that I know of). She had previously been in boys rec classes, and transitioned right around the same time she joined the T&T team. Other than myself and one or two other coaches, I don't think anybody even realized she was transgender; we treated her like any other girl on the team.

I also used to have a transgender girl on my girls' pre team who was 6 or 7 years old. The parents told me, because they were concerned about her future in sport. This was before the new policy, and I had to tell her parents that there wasn't any specific policy on trans participation in youth gymnastics (though I'd be willing to fight for her). She ended up moving away before being ready for team, but I don't think of her peers knew. She was just another little girl in their group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back